This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Hard To Be Gf And Vegetarian?

frenchiemama

Rusla Enthusiast

I do not eat a lot of meat, never have. I am allergic to what they are shooting into the critters and the red dye in the beef. Not only that but I only really like seafood or poultry. When I get my poultry it is from a man whose chickens are free range, no antibiotics etc.

I would have been the worlds worst farmer because I could never kill anything I raised or looked at everyday. On rare moments I will eat ham or back bacon. I love certain types of seafood but it is so expensive I can't eat it all the time.

Many times I do a vegetable stir fry with tofu, or a seafood lasagne with goat cheese in it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

here are some good links for you to ck out--Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

• 4 weeks later...
pinkpei77 Contributor

as too people who say

"i stopped being vegetarian because i didnt think i was getting enough protein"

this is from goveg.com:

In fact, studies show that vegetarians get plenty of protein. Science indicates that humans need to receive between 10 and 15 percent of their calories from protein; interestingly, that’s the protein-content of human mothers’ milk. Our problem in the West is that we get too much protein because we eat so many animal products. Most Americans now get at least twice as much protein as they need, and this can cause a range of health problems, including osteoporosis and kidney stones. All beans, grains, and vegetables have plenty of protein, so as long as you’re eating a varied diet, you will undoubtedly get enough

one cup of cooked split peas has 15 g of protein

soy is one of the best sources of protein there is

beans, seaweed, tofu, peanut butter, lentils

from another article:

"where do vegans/vegetarians get thier protein?"

Although protein is certainly an essential nutrient which plays many key roles in the way our bodies function, we do not need huge quantities of it. In reality, we need small amounts of protein. Only one calorie out of every ten we take in needs to come from protein

so even just one cup of soymilk has 10g of protein

its really not hard and you dont have to adjust your diet that much.

we all go out of our way with having celiac disease and watching what we eat its really not

that much more to do.

people eat a lot of high protein vegetarian things daily without realizing they are eating "vegetarian"

so.. those are just some things to read and think about.

thanks.

key Contributor

Been vegetarian for my whole life of 31 years. My religion has always thought it healthier. Now if you listen to what they are saying most places, it is healthier, if you don't fill up on little debbies and eat lots of processed food(which lots of vegetarians do)! I was concerned with my son a bit because he can't eat alot of dairy, not that I think he needs it necessarily, but because he eats mostly vegetables. Anyway, I asked his pediatrician and he even said to me that he didn't need meat for a healthy diet and that we would probably all be better off without it, he included. Anyway, I am not here to preach about eating meat and what you decide to do personally, but that if you choose to be vegan and gluten-free, then I don't think you would suffere physically. AT first you may feel that way, but as you adjust you should be very healthy. If you are eating plenty of fruits and veges. THere is brown rice, tons of soups, baked potatoes, salads, tons of mexican foods, gluten-free. I do eat cheese and eggs, but I don't think cheese is all that great for the human body. I really don't think I could ever eat meat. I have thought about it though, because of missing sandwich meat that was fake before. SO I think it is a bit boring in comparison to what I used to eat and I think eating out is a pain, boring, nothing to eat! Sorry, but I miss my previous meat substitutes for chicken, turkey, etc.! I have lived on that stuff my whole life!

THat being said, I know that if you do a raw vegan diet, then it is basically gluten-free. I think I am just having a hard time giving up foods I used to eat and this diet requires me cooking ahead and preparing more.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

MOnica

Guest hungryman
I've been thinking about vegetarianism for a long time. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease I just put that on the back burner because I was having enough trouble with my new diet.

I know that eating at home won't be a problem, but how do you handle eating out and travel?

One thing to be wary of is some of the vegan foods, especially those created to replace meat, like veggie burgers, vegan cheese substitute, etc., contain gluten.

Just an FYI.

Mark

Guest mvaught

I don't eat any meat - I do eat seafood (probably 3 times a week or so). I occasionally eat dairy and soy - though too much of either affects me...I was just wondering (out of curiosity - because I do not plan to add meat to my diet), is there any concern that cattle, chicken, and pigs are fed grains containing gluten? has there been any research in this area that anyone is aware of? if anyone knows of a study in this area, i would be interested in reading it.

Archived