#1 ChrisRR

ChrisRR

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hi everyone.

First I'd like to say that this site is great for people with gluten intolerance!

But I need some advice on my symptoms and see what other people think.

Now, I am a professional motorcycle road racer in Europe, and for a long time I have had the problem of fatigue, and sometimes diarrhea for unexplained reasons.
In recent years, every time I went running, I felt like I hit the wall after just a few miles. And one I got so bad stomach cramps that I almost couldn't stand up, and then I had to go take care of some business in the woods (very nasty).
And since I was life 13 years old, I can't remember there being 1 month where I didn't have painful stomach cramps and diarrhea at least once.

Anyway, I went to a professional nutritionist, where I filled out tones of forms about what I eat, how I feel when eating certain things etc. And then he made a diet plan where I couldn't eat any types of grain at all.

Then have told me that once a week, at 1 meal I can eat whatever I feel like. So I ate a pizza and had a beer, and when I did, I got stomach pains that lasted 3 days, and my nose closed up while I was eating it.

Anyway, after I started this diet, I have felt quite a bit better when running. My stomach, especially my lower stomach (intestines) seem to be behaving much better than before.

Now, what I am wondering, could this be gluten intolerance, or something else?

This morning I had stomach pain again (for the first time since I started the diet), and I didn't eat any grain or anything in the last few days. However I did have tea with milk, but I have had that several times without any effects.

Does any of this make sense to you guys with celiac? Can you get stomach cramps while your body is healing up. And do any of you every experience stomach pains in the middle of the stomach?

Thanks a lot - hope it makes sense :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Welcome, Chris.

Eliminating all grains should have gotten rid of most of the gluten, unless you eat processed foods or soy sauce or such. So you have probably been mostly gluten free.

If you are gluten intolerant, pizza and beer is not such a great idea :unsure: What a double whammy! I bet you won't do that again. If you are gluten intolerant, gluten will do that to you after you haven't had any for a while. I don't know where folks get the idea that it is okay to cheat once in a while, because your body will tell you it's not :rolleyes:

Yes, the healing process does take a while because gluten has done its damage. If you are celiac, it will have damaged the villi (little finger-like projections) in your small intestine, and it is at the tips of those villi that the body makes lactase, the enzyme to digest the lactose in milk. So most celiacs have a hard time digesting milk and a lot of milk products until the villi have healed. And for lots of people the pain they experience is around the navel.

Try rooting out ALL the gluten from your diet and eliminate dairy for a few months and see how you feel. If you read the Newbie 101 thread here you will get lots of tips and help. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009