#1 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hi all

Probably a million people have asked this before, But I have an endoscopy scheduled in a couple weeks, and am wondering what the procedure is like? I know i can't eat anything for at least 6 hours before (apt is at noon, so no breakfast and nothing the evening before, to be safe).
As for the actual procedure, do they drug you or put you under? Should I have someone to help me get home? Can you eat right after? etc?

So you know, I've been on the gluten-free diet for over 3 years. This is not to get a diagnosis, but to check things out and make sure there aren't any other problems. I am going to ask if they can take biopsy samples anyway, just for the sake of it. (My Dr is referring me to a GI, which will take a few months, so she thought I'd might as well let them take a look around first)

Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Peg

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

They usually give you heavy sedation with a drug that makes you forget everything that has happened. It is a pretty much non-event from the recollection point of view. You do need someone to drive you home, however. You can eat afterwards whenever you feel like it. They advise no alcohol that day.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

In addition to what shroom has told you, I will offer you this thought.

Try to get the earliest possible appointment of the day on the schedule as you will be fasting the night before.

It's about as easy peasy as it gets for a gastro test. :)

It's not at all uncomfortable, it's over in no time, there are no side effects or ramifications and (this one is a big yaay!) the prep for it is nothing like a colonoscopy prep.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, I dodged the colonoscopy bullet. My Dr thought I should do one, but when I went in for the consult the GI at the scope clinic thought there really wasn't any reason to put me through all that. We'll see what the GI I finally get referred to says.

So, really no side effects other than a bit groggy?

My appt is at noon. I'm going to a clinic not far from my home (couple subway stops). My hope is to stumble down the street and have a congratulatory lunch of gluten-free fish and chips! Or there's a nice salad place around the corner from there too. The last thing I want to have to do is go home and cook. Unfortunately my BF is out of town that day, but I can either get a cab home, or have another friend meet me.

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Really no side effects other than groggy - the groggy can be a little or a lot! They usually require someone to pick you up - if not during an appointment, they usually send written confirmation of your procedure that will spell out the need for a ride home.

You may feel like going out after, but I would stock a simple meal or two in your frig in case you feel more than a little groggy. My husband was ready to eat anything in sight when he was done with a colonoscopy, but when I have had my endoscopies I don't feel like doing much of anything after. Depends how you respond to the meds.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

but when I have had my endoscopies I don't feel like doing much of anything after. Depends how you respond to the meds.

This is me :( because I respond poorly to meds and anesthesia

however, I know others who have had them done and they went to work after. Go figure.

I agree with GottaSki about having someone meet you as you are coming out of the procedure. No hospital I have ever been to for a GI procedure would let you out the door alone.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

In the uk it seems you can usually choose anaesthetic throat spray or seditive.

I can report 2 experiences of throat spray. My friend hated it, as you are awake to gag, and would go for sedative next time.

I hate drugs like those, and while I would not do it for fun, it was ok. The staff were great, and told me when I needed to relax, and to remember to breathe! Once I worked out that you really could 'breathe around' the tube I was ok. There was some gagging, but once I relaxed it was much better.

I have had worse dentist visits!

Not sure if this applies to your situation. Someone might be interested I guess...

Afterwards there was a mild feeling in my throat, and I was very tired. That might have just been relief at it being over though. I was fine next morning.

I'd agree the get the first appointment of the session if you can.

It is all quite fresh as I had mine 4 days ago!

Good luck, you'll be ok
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#8 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thanks guys

Unfortunately, my appt time is already set for noon. I'm going to sucker a friend of mine into meeting me, and will either treat him to lunch if i'm up for it, or just get home and crawl into bed. It's been an awfully long time since I had a sedative, but it will probably do a number on me...

Well, still have 3 weeks to gear up for this (ie: try to forget about it until the night before)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Peg

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Well, still have 3 weeks to gear up for this (ie: try to forget about it until the night before)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Peg

Do keep us posted and honestly, hon?...it's no big deal, I promise you. ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Peg, I felt the same way. My greatest fear was fear itself. I didn't feel anything and I didn't remember a thing. I was loopy afterwards but had made a pot of gluten-free chicken and rice soup and Betty Crocker brownies the day before so my son and daughter-in-law could have lunch with me after they brought me back home.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Peg, as others have said, it is not a big deal. But please take the advice to have someone take you home and make sure you settle in.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

oh yes!

I admit, I was walking "funny" when I came out and I was glad to have hub's arm to lean on. And drive me home!

And as Sylvia says, have some food prepared and waiting for you at home.

And a good movie. Just take it easy afterwards.

Let us know how you make out. We care!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

oh yes!

I admit, I was walking "funny" when I came out and I was glad to have hub's arm to lean on. And drive me home!

And as Sylvia says, have some food prepared and waiting for you at home.

And a good movie. Just take it easy afterwards.

Let us know how you make out. We care!

Actually my daughter-in-law had to heat up the soup. Posted Image And I asked them the same questions half a dozen times...or so I am told. A nice nap in the afternoon might be good, too.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Actually my daughter-in-law had to heat up the soup. Posted Image And I asked them the same questions half a dozen times...or so I am told. A nice nap in the afternoon might be good, too.

...and I apparently sang to the hubs all the way home in the car and HE had to make my sammy for me. But I was not hungry until later in the day.

I am not the "norm" however. I react adversely to many drugs.

but whew, I am glad others are chiming in here and admitting they get a tad loopy from the drugs. :lol:

Peg, your experience may be different!!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

The stuff they knocked me out with was brutal (I too don't react well to those type of drugs). Last thing i remember is they put this bit thing in my mouth and i was trying to swallow (dry throat) and then the room starting to spin and flip. Don't remember anything well until i'm back in the room they had me first in.

Ugh, do not want to do that again.

I ate when i got back to deal with GERD but thats another story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: