Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Endoscopy

27 posts in this topic

Hi all

Probably a million people have asked this before, But I have an endoscopy scheduled in a couple weeks, and am wondering what the procedure is like? I know i can't eat anything for at least 6 hours before (apt is at noon, so no breakfast and nothing the evening before, to be safe).

As for the actual procedure, do they drug you or put you under? Should I have someone to help me get home? Can you eat right after? etc?

So you know, I've been on the gluten-free diet for over 3 years. This is not to get a diagnosis, but to check things out and make sure there aren't any other problems. I am going to ask if they can take biopsy samples anyway, just for the sake of it. (My Dr is referring me to a GI, which will take a few months, so she thought I'd might as well let them take a look around first)

Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Peg

Ads by Google:

They usually give you heavy sedation with a drug that makes you forget everything that has happened. It is a pretty much non-event from the recollection point of view. You do need someone to drive you home, however. You can eat afterwards whenever you feel like it. They advise no alcohol that day.

In addition to what shroom has told you, I will offer you this thought.

Try to get the earliest possible appointment of the day on the schedule as you will be fasting the night before.

It's about as easy peasy as it gets for a gastro test. :)

It's not at all uncomfortable, it's over in no time, there are no side effects or ramifications and (this one is a big yaay!) the prep for it is nothing like a colonoscopy prep.

Yeah, I dodged the colonoscopy bullet. My Dr thought I should do one, but when I went in for the consult the GI at the scope clinic thought there really wasn't any reason to put me through all that. We'll see what the GI I finally get referred to says.

So, really no side effects other than a bit groggy?

My appt is at noon. I'm going to a clinic not far from my home (couple subway stops). My hope is to stumble down the street and have a congratulatory lunch of gluten-free fish and chips! Or there's a nice salad place around the corner from there too. The last thing I want to have to do is go home and cook. Unfortunately my BF is out of town that day, but I can either get a cab home, or have another friend meet me.

Really no side effects other than groggy - the groggy can be a little or a lot! They usually require someone to pick you up - if not during an appointment, they usually send written confirmation of your procedure that will spell out the need for a ride home.

You may feel like going out after, but I would stock a simple meal or two in your frig in case you feel more than a little groggy. My husband was ready to eat anything in sight when he was done with a colonoscopy, but when I have had my endoscopies I don't feel like doing much of anything after. Depends how you respond to the meds.

but when I have had my endoscopies I don't feel like doing much of anything after. Depends how you respond to the meds.

This is me :( because I respond poorly to meds and anesthesia

however, I know others who have had them done and they went to work after. Go figure.

I agree with GottaSki about having someone meet you as you are coming out of the procedure. No hospital I have ever been to for a GI procedure would let you out the door alone.

In the uk it seems you can usually choose anaesthetic throat spray or seditive.

I can report 2 experiences of throat spray. My friend hated it, as you are awake to gag, and would go for sedative next time.

I hate drugs like those, and while I would not do it for fun, it was ok. The staff were great, and told me when I needed to relax, and to remember to breathe! Once I worked out that you really could 'breathe around' the tube I was ok. There was some gagging, but once I relaxed it was much better.

I have had worse dentist visits!

Not sure if this applies to your situation. Someone might be interested I guess...

Afterwards there was a mild feeling in my throat, and I was very tired. That might have just been relief at it being over though. I was fine next morning.

I'd agree the get the first appointment of the session if you can.

It is all quite fresh as I had mine 4 days ago!

Good luck, you'll be ok

Thanks guys

Unfortunately, my appt time is already set for noon. I'm going to sucker a friend of mine into meeting me, and will either treat him to lunch if i'm up for it, or just get home and crawl into bed. It's been an awfully long time since I had a sedative, but it will probably do a number on me...

Well, still have 3 weeks to gear up for this (ie: try to forget about it until the night before)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Peg

Well, still have 3 weeks to gear up for this (ie: try to forget about it until the night before)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Peg

Do keep us posted and honestly, hon?...it's no big deal, I promise you. ;)

Peg, I felt the same way. My greatest fear was fear itself. I didn't feel anything and I didn't remember a thing. I was loopy afterwards but had made a pot of gluten-free chicken and rice soup and Betty Crocker brownies the day before so my son and daughter-in-law could have lunch with me after they brought me back home.

Peg, as others have said, it is not a big deal. But please take the advice to have someone take you home and make sure you settle in.

oh yes!

I admit, I was walking "funny" when I came out and I was glad to have hub's arm to lean on. And drive me home!

And as Sylvia says, have some food prepared and waiting for you at home.

And a good movie. Just take it easy afterwards.

Let us know how you make out. We care!

oh yes!

I admit, I was walking "funny" when I came out and I was glad to have hub's arm to lean on. And drive me home!

And as Sylvia says, have some food prepared and waiting for you at home.

And a good movie. Just take it easy afterwards.

Let us know how you make out. We care!

Actually my daughter-in-law had to heat up the soup. laugh.gif And I asked them the same questions half a dozen times...or so I am told. A nice nap in the afternoon might be good, too.

Actually my daughter-in-law had to heat up the soup. laugh.gif And I asked them the same questions half a dozen times...or so I am told. A nice nap in the afternoon might be good, too.

...and I apparently sang to the hubs all the way home in the car and HE had to make my sammy for me. But I was not hungry until later in the day.

I am not the "norm" however. I react adversely to many drugs.

but whew, I am glad others are chiming in here and admitting they get a tad loopy from the drugs. :lol:

Peg, your experience may be different!!!

The stuff they knocked me out with was brutal (I too don't react well to those type of drugs). Last thing i remember is they put this bit thing in my mouth and i was trying to swallow (dry throat) and then the room starting to spin and flip. Don't remember anything well until i'm back in the room they had me first in.

Ugh, do not want to do that again.

I ate when i got back to deal with GERD but thats another story.

...and I apparently sang to the hubs all the way home in the car

Bet you were cute!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I was loopy for several hours after the procedure and in no way would have been able to go out to eat. My husband picked me up and dragged me to the car. I made him stop at McDonalds on the way home and scarfed down a Big Mac (which I never really ate before this, so it was weird.) Then I went home and slept/watched TV on and off for a few hours before I felt normal again. I have NO RECOLLECTION of any of this. I do not remember my conversation with the MD after they were done, don't remember drinking juice with the nurse, etc.

Our hospital would not allow patients to leave without a responsible adult. You would not be allowed to take a cab home or the subway either. They also made sure someone else would be home to care for children, etc. and I was instructed to "not make any important decisions or sign any contracts" for the rest of the day. Good thing too.

Cara

I am a post-anesthesia puker. So, I asked for antinausea drugs and they put them in my IV after the prodecure! I ate on the way home, told my husband the same story over and over again, and slept the rest of the day. Don't expect to do anything afterwards.

I am a post-anesthesia puker. So, I asked for antinausea drugs and they put them in my IV after the prodecure! I ate on the way home, told my husband the same story over and over again, and slept the rest of the day. Don't expect to do anything afterwards.

Are you sure it is the anesthesia that makes you puke? I puke too, sometimes for a couple of days, but only if they give me morphine during the anesthesia. On anesthesiologist did this when I specifically instructed him not to :angry:

Are you sure it is the anesthesia that makes you puke? I puke too, sometimes for a couple of days, but only if they give me morphine during the anesthesia. On anesthesiologist did this when I specifically instructed him not to :angry:

Yes, definitely anesthesia. I refuse all morphine related pain meds after I freaked out on dilaudid once. :o

Well, considering how much of a lightweight I am, I'm sure i'll be pretty entertaining on the way home.

I'm not afraid of the procedure or the after effects or anything, just wanted to make sure I have all the bases covered and don't end up having to beg a friend to come meet me at the last minute.

My boyfriend is escaping to Chicago that day. Grrrr! I'll have to exaggerate how awful it was just to make him feel guilty (just kidding)

Thanks again!

One of my boys is a post anesthesia puker. The doc put an anti-nausea med in the IV and that took care of it. He said to tell the anesthia or doc next time and it can be adnministered before he really wakes up.

Hi Guys

Had my endoscopy Saturday (ended up being 1pm before I got in. Sooo hungryyyy). They knocked me out, I had a nice nap, and felt pretty ok afterwards. They didn't see anything unusual while in there, but did take biopsy samples. That's definitely not going to show Celiac, but you never know. At least now the GI will have something to go on when my referal finally goes through.

Thanks again for the advice. I did feel much better knowing my friend was there waiting.

Cheers

Peg

Glad it went well :)

Well done, nice to get it over with isn't it?

My biopsy came back negative last week, but I was relieved to know there were no big nasties.

On with the adventures, good luck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• You should never have cut out gluten until you had the biopsy done. It's much worse to have to go back on after you've been off gluten for a while. There's no way I could ever do the gluten challenge after being off gluten for even a month because my reactions got so dramatically worse.  Stress definately can trigger celiac- before I was diagnosed - it got the worst after surgery and after a stressful time planning my daughters wedding. 
    • Hi not diagnosed celiac, Welcome to the forum! Your doctor should be sent to remedial celiac disease training.  Since that probably won't happen, I suggest you find a new doctor.  He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to diagnosing celiac disease. You should not have gone gluten-free before completing all celiac disease testing.  The testing for celiac disease depends on the immune reaction being active.  Removing gluten before testing removes the antigen that causes the immune system to react, and lowers the chances of getting a correct test result dramatically.  The University of Chicago celiac disease center recommends: ******************************************** http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten. Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten. In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy. May, 2013 ******************************************** So you will need to go back to eating gluten before your endoscopy.  That may cause worse symptoms than before when you were eating gluten.  So it would have been better to do all testing before going gluten-free. Can you search for a celiac disease support group in your area?  They exist in many parts of the USA and world.  They can be a good place to get a knowledgeable doctor recommendation.  There is also a doctors subsection of this forum where you can search to see if any doctors in your area were recommended.
    • Hi All, I'm new to this and very confused! I have Lea & Perrins WC sauce, it lists it's first ingredient as Malt Vinegar.  I have the Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List 2015 here, and it says "All Vinegars are Gluten Free including Malt Vinegar." Doesn't that mean that L&P Worcestershire sauce is safe?   Their website states " Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire Sauce is cholesterol free, fat free, preservative free, gluten free and has 80% less sodium than soy sauce. " I'm cooking for my coeliac niece, can't afford to make a mistake!
    • I get these crazy cravings for some things I can not eat anymore. Not only am I diagnosed with celiac but I also have a allergy to corn, olives, sesame, peanuts, and intolerance to yeast, soy, dairy, and a very low tolerance for carbs/sugars, Top it off with I can not digest meats or egg yolks, they just give me the burps and come up later.
        To deal with these I find myself turning to Republic of Teas (They have a great desert tea line up all certified gluten-free) and sweetening them with monk fruit extract, or stevia. And I find myself making Puddings bases that I use for shakes, dips, and ice-cream for meals. The puddings are normally a blend of cashew, or almond milk with a thickening agent like agar agar, pectin, or knoxx gelatin, blended with a sweetener like xylitol, swerve, stevia, monk fruit or a combination. And flavored with Lor Ann Oils (all gluten-free certified and you can find the kosher ones listed as such) super strength flavors or fountain syrups to match something I can not eat normally a combination of two flavors (Strawberry Cheesecake, Banana and Carmel, Cookies & Cream, etc) Then I add a fat that matches best, like almond butter, cashew butter, hemp butter, ground flax seed, coconut flour, chocolate, Pumpkin seed butter or a combination) These bases are normally blended up and consumed with 1-2 scoops of protein powder and eaten with steamed vegges as a side dip or loaded into a ice cream maker for a desert after my meals.      Also found myself making desert soups....like a pumpkin soup that taste like pumpkin pie. I am sure we all have our little quirks but this is one of mine for getting that sweet craving taken care of. Most premade items are off my list due to the allergies and it seems most companies use the oils, starches I am allergic to as non stick or thickening agents, Even the semi safe ones tend to put way to much sugars in them and I find myself only being able to nibble . There is also my little binge issues with almonds, pumpkin seeds, and, cocoa but that was explained to me as normal And on my most craving for peanuts I have found sancha inchi powder to work great, The Powder itself taste like the girl scout peanut butter cookie sandwich from my childhood, And is great mixed with a bit of almond milk into a butter or used in baking and smoothies. Before this I have been making Artisan blends of almond butter for years and even made a market selling them to pay  for my own consumption. Baked goods wise I have a bunch of recipes I make for others and sell at markets and this allows me to nibble on a sample to check it, as most contain a bean or gluten-free Harvest Oats/Flour in them and the carbs from that and the coconut sugars bother me. Still helps with cravings there, I only have 2 recipes that sell good and are safe for me to eat full servings of but are so expensive as they use almond and coconut flours, low sugars/xylitol and are paleo that I only can afford to make them once a month. Posting to hear about some odd and out there ways others deal with substitutions and cravings. Please do not bash mine as odd as they might be as they keep me from going crazy. (Yes I know DROP THE OATS, fact is I only get them when tasting stuff and they are gluten-free Harvest, the only ones I have never gotten glutend with)  
    • After suffering pretty much all year with one illness after another I've finally managed to get a diagnosis and it turns out to be celiac. After my doctors consistently failing to even consider the possibility it might be that (as opposed to "IBS" or "stress") I kept pushing for the Iga TTg test and it was off the charts with a score of >128... may as well fail it in style I guess. So here I am at the start of what feels like the end of my life as I know it. Been doing nothing but reading for the past week and frankly it's terrifying. Here's a few things that are going round in my head and I'd really appreciate your thoughts with. Apologies if it's a bit of an essay  Diagnosis I'm still furious at my doctors for not even entertaining the thought that celiac could be the root cause of all my ills. Given the blood test is so simple it feels almost negligent that they don't run this right at the start to rule it out. Instead I got subjected to poisons like Omeprazole which made me even more ill, whilst being told the physical symptoms were all in my head. Just as well I knew better and kept hitting up Google until my self-diagnosis was proved correct... to think these people get paid highly to be so incompetent makes my blood boil. Does feel good having outwitted the so-called professionals though. Seems 9 months is comparatively quick from symptoms to diagnosis compared to some others that have gone years with the problems so could be worse I guess. Food and diet I'm male vegetarian (non-negotiable) which makes this even harder as so many of my protein sources are now ruled out. Seems many with celiac were having trouble losing weight whereas I'm in the opposite situation. Already lost best part of a stone in the past few weeks and it's becoming noticeable now. The MyFitnessPal app reckons I need 2600 calories a day to maintain \ gain weight - no idea where that's going to come from. On top of that I read sites like Gluten Dude where even the Gluten Free foods are seen as poisons and going on extreme diets like Paleo \ SCD are the only real way forward. Again being veggie makes that practically impossible and if I'm unlucky enough to end up with the dairy issues as well I'm well and truly stuffed. Right now I'm trying the gluten-free Quorn products to see how I go, as well as more eggs etc. Porridge has been my go-to breakfast in the mornings for a while after I cut out bread whilst self-diagnosing but depending on where you read even that's a potential problem (currently using gluten-free porridge oats and seeing how it goes) Seems many gluten-free people have to go right back to basics and cook everything from scratch. That's a problem for me as I'm utterly hopeless on that front and time doesn't permit waiting hours just to prepare one meal. Seems nigh-on impossible to do day-in, day-out. Health Rightly or wrongly right now I see this diagnosis as a death sentence long-term. Looks like it brings other associated illnesses with it and this particular article really scares me: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/the-gluten-free-lie-why-most-celiacs-are-slowly-dying/ I've only really had noticeable symptoms for the past year or so but wonder how long this has been going on for and what damage has already been done. All seems to have started from when I turned 30 (knew I was dreading that age for a reason) and right now I wonder how long I'm going to last before the really bad stuff starts. One of the other illnesses I'd considered as a possibility before getting diagnosed was Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; now it seems that's closely linked with Celiac so may not be out of the woods with that yet either. Just seems to be one big list of illness all triggered from the same point One positive change I've noticed thus far since cutting out gluten is that bloating seems to have gone down and bowel movements are better. Still getting headaches and muscle twitching, which could be as much a withdrawal symptom from gluten as anything else.  Some sites were suggesting stopping exercise whilst withdrawing but I can't face that as it's the only thing keeping me going at present. Again will keep going as-was and see what happens. Then to top it off it sounds like the next step is the biopsy - I'm scared of being put out for the procedure as a member of family went into hospital a few years back for something supposedly routine and never came back out. From what I've been told it's important to have done though as it shows just how broken the villi are so another thing to worry about in the meantime. I've just read on another thread that you have to be on gluten to have the test, that's another kicker after having started to cut it out the diet. With such a high blood test Iga-TTg score isn't it almost certain that celiac is the cause and the endoscopy in this case is just confirming levels of damage? OK means I can have a final blow-out eating all the "bad" foods but no doubt with all the side effects that come with it... Social life Seems like despite there being some gluten free options in certain restaurants (granted better now than years ago) I'm going to be hugely limited in food options. Either sitting on the side looking on or just plain not able to go out much anymore. Already had the first hitting-home moment watching colleagues eating pastries that were brought in while I just have to look on... then it dawns that this is never going to get better... urghhh Family life I'm really struggling to accept this lifelong illness and loss of health and it's taking a toll on the people around me at the moment. They won't be going gluten-free so will have to take my chances with the mixed kitchen environment; already gone with split toasters etc. so can't do much more than that. Dating Basically seems game over on that front, unlike many who are diagnosed with understanding partners \ spouses I'm still in the dating game, which is judgemental enough as it is without all the complications that the gluten issues bring. I'm reading even kissing someone with lipstick \ make-up is apparently a big no-no... once any date hears that they won't be coming back... forever alone status confirmed is how it looks right now. Overall feelings I still can't quite figure out if this illness was in me all along and just hasn't flared up enough to notice until now or whether the extreme stress I've been under for the past year or so has triggered it. If the second scenario is correct I can't stop thinking about the events that all led up to this almost year-long bout of ill health and life-changing diagnosis. Can celiac be brought on by stress alone or realistically was I always a ticking timebomb just waiting to be set off? For every person I see that's had a positive change after cutting out gluten (and getting by with reasonably achievable adjustments) there seems to be 10 others with horrible side-effects and long-term complications. Right now the future feels rather bleak - like all hope just been taken away. Help???
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    moojoo