7 replies to this topic

#1 Sunny600

Sunny600

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

....that I am unintentionally getting glutened, or that I have a problem with dairy, despite many months of eating dairy with no problems? For the past several weeks I have been having a resurgence of symptoms that almost completely disappeared when I went gluten-free seven months ago. Mduring this time, I have eaten out several times (Mexican restaurants, and only rice, bean and corn things) and eaten stuff I didn't make myself at social gatherings. I've been pretty careful. I've never been able to quit dairy, though I,ve wondered if it could be bothering me, though for many months I ate plenty of it with no adverse effects.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm only two months into eating gluten-free, so take this for what it's worth. I've been finding my tolerance for dairy varies a lot, some days it's fine, others it's not. Some cheeses are okay, others aren't. Etc.

Have you tried using chewable Lactaid pills? They usually work for me, and if I take them every time I eat dairy, then I know anything else is probably a glutening.

Also, for me the symptoms are a little different. Lactose is causing more gas, whereas accidental gluten causes the Big D, lotsa stomach noise and some pain.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

It could be a bit of both.

Many of us find that minor glutenings from cross contamination become much more severe as time goes on. My guess is the problem is CC.

One way to test would be by removing all dairy for at least a week - a month would be better and continue to dine out and eat gluten-free items prepared by others. If you are still having symptoms without the dairy - you will need to be much more careful with the preparation of your food.

If you are having a problem with dairy right now, you may get it back once your digestive system has healed. Wait six months and try it again. If you still can't tolerate it - keep trying at six month intervals.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

......during this time, I have eaten out several times (Mexican restaurants, and only rice, bean and corn things) and eaten stuff I didn't make myself at social gatherings.

There's your problem.

#5 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

There's your problem.

My thoughts exactly.

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#6 Sunny600

Sunny600

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

My thoughts exactly.

I hardly ever go out to eat, but it's so depressing to think that I'll essentially never be able to. We were traveling, and needed to eat SOMEWHERE, and it seemed like the best choice. And it's hard to ask people who don't speak very good English about gluten. I guess it means I just have to be super-prepared, and bring ALL of my own food whenever I go ANYWHERE. I usually do, for most meals, but then, after awhile, we get tired of eating out of an ice chest.

I seem to be getting more and more sensitive to gluten, which also doesn't seem fair.....

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

I seem to be getting more and more sensitive to gluten, which also doesn't seem fair.....

Agreed. Not fair. On the glass half full side of the equation - your body is letting you know where gluten is so you can prevent further damage/complications.

It will still get easier with time - the first year is the toughest.

Hang in there.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

I hardly ever go out to eat, but it's so depressing to think that I'll essentially never be able to. We were traveling, and needed to eat SOMEWHERE, and it seemed like the best choice. And it's hard to ask people who don't speak very good English about gluten. I guess it means I just have to be super-prepared, and bring ALL of my own food whenever I go ANYWHERE. I usually do, for most meals, but then, after awhile, we get tired of eating out of an ice chest.

These days, when we travel, we tend to go to places that have kitchens that where we can cook our own food. It's way cheaper this way too. (Seriously, I think we had ahi almost every night when we last went to Hawaii... it is cheap to buy at the store there!)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: