Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten Free

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know how long it took for you all to start noticing health improvement once you cut gluten from your diet? I won't have my endoscopy for at least a month and am considering cutting gluten for a week just to see if I notice any difference. I have constant muscle aches and have been diagnosed with benign fasiculation syndrome and have read that this could be caused by my low Vit D. As I posted earlier my blood tests came back negative so if I respond positively to cutting the gluten then I can always load up again before I schedule the endoscopy.

You might have trouble going back on gluten after being off it for even a week. Our bodies react more strongly to it when we've been away from it for a while. So yeah, you might notice a positive change in the way you feel in only a week, but I doubt it would be worth the negative change in the way you feel when you start eating it again.

Take this time to enjoy all of the gluteny things you will never be able to eat again. Even though we eat well, there are some things that can't be duplicated. Have some donuts! Have some clamcakes. If you know someone who makes homemade bread like my Mom used to do, have a whole loaf, fresh out of the oven. Put lots of butter on it while you're at it in case you develop an intolerance to dairy.

And then, once you go gluten-free, if you can, learn to cook so you can make your own substitutes instead of having to buy them all like I (the most incompetent cook in the world) do.

I'd agree it may be hard to back on again. I had a short break gluten-free and then ate it again after the lab lost my results (grr). It was much worse much more quickly when I ate gluten the second time.

You need to stay on the gluten or risk a false reading :/

eh, it was a few weeks i think.

Don't do it. I went off gluten for a week after my blood tests, not realizing I needed to be on it for the endoscopy. I'm much more sensitive now even after that short time. Not feeling well at all.

So don't do it. Just wait until after the endoscopsy.

Don't do it. I went off gluten for a week after my blood tests, not realizing I needed to be on it for the endoscopy. I'm much more sensitive now even after that short time. Not feeling well at all.

So don't do it. Just wait until after the endoscopsy.

I agree, I had stopped eating it for 9 days and then dr told me i had to eat it again for 6 weeks before I could have a blood test/endescopy and when I started eating it again i felt awful, especially the first few days back on it