#1 glutenfree015

glutenfree015

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hi everyone,

Iíve recently been diagnosed as gluten intolerant/ Celiac (I got the blood test and it was negative-- however my total IGA was low, so the doctor thinks it was false) and Iíve been having a rough time recently. Iíve been gluten free for 6 weeks, and initially I felt great! I had some withdrawals at first, but after about a week my energy was up, I no longer felt sick after eating, and no more brain fog or gastrointestinal distress. However, in the last 2 weeks, Iíve been feeling a lot worse with nausea and stomach cramps after meals and my nutritionist has advised me to cut out diary, soy, eggs, sugar, and raw vegetables. After almost a week I donít feel as sick anymore, but Iím still having problems with cramping, nausea, and gas after some (but not all) meals and I KNOW I am not eating gluten, any of my other allergens, or having any CC. Iím basically on the Paleo diet.

My question is-- is this normal to be having stomach issues 6 weeks in? No one seems to be able to provide any answers, and Iím having a hard time dealing with this at school and trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy. Iím tired of feeling sick! Any help anyone can provide would be so welcomed.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

You are trying to digest food on a very raw gut. Yes, it is normal for your gut to have a hard time when it is not feeling well. You can help it heal by taking some probiotics, and by taking digestive enzymes with meals. Gluten can suppress the formation of digestive enzymes in the pancreas. Some people also take L-glutamine to help heal the gut.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

college student here too i got dx'd my sophmore year :)

yeah thats normal, just go slow and steady. After a few months add some stuff back in.

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yes, digestive enzymes and L-glutamine can help your gut heal. Then, you'll just need to be patient. Eventually, you'll be able to add in some foods...and all will be well.

#5 glutenfree015

glutenfree015

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone! Yes Iíve been taking enzymes for the last few days and probiotics since I went gluten free. I guess it will just take time!

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

And don't forget the L-glutamine--it's cheap!

#7 maldo421

maldo421

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

hey guys,

happy i found this forum.. I'm a 4th year college student and although i feel i've been having symptoms of gluten intolerance for a while.. it wasnt until just recently that i really started to research in (due to my following question).

Do any other celiac's out there suffer from severe/widespread tendonitis? I know that it can cause nutrient deficiency and I am/ was a very active person (rock climbing, biking, boarding) and seem to develop tendonitis after about every activity i embark on.

#8 kaycledf

kaycledf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

I was recently diagnosed as well (almost a month ago) but I had to withdraw from classes/quit job and move home because in August of course I had no idea what was wrong (nor did any doctor until I saw Dr. Rudert in Atlanta) but I thought I had been eating gluten-free since oct 8th but of course kept accidentally making some mistakes as I got this sorted out so technically I've probably been gluten-free for a week? my point is I am not having as severe stomach pain/spasms but started feeling flu-like with aching muscles and joints and figured withdrawals maybe? sometimes after meals my stomach will hurt a little but I think it's expected since I am really just starting this-especially since the pain is NOTHING like it was from June-September. Gradually getting there & I hope you do to glutenfree015 (I also initially had a false negative)

gl*ten is for the birds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: