• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#16 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

If your tests end up being negative, remember that celiac blood tests have a false positive rate around 25%. After all your testing is done, even if it is a negative result, you might want to give the diet a go for a few months to see if it has any effect on your health. The NW has many stores that sell gluten-free foods so it's not that hard to do; you just need to be aware of small amounts of gluten in vitamins and sauces (like soy or worchestershire) that can get you.

Those with non-celiac gluten intolerance have the same symptoms as celiacs, just not the damage to the small intestine. As you know, celiac (and non-celiac GI) can present in hundreds of ways, so it could be the cause of your poor health. Personally, after being gluten-free for over three months, I noticed a huge reduction in my GI symptoms and migraines, I didn't realize how often I had stomachaches and headaches until they were gone. Also my hair started growing in again so I have small patches of hair 2" long sticking out the top of my head; I like thicker hair but it looks a bit silly when the wind messes it up. LOL Unfortunately something else is causing it to thin again... two steps forward and 1 step back, eh? lol

The celiac society of Calgary is really helpful too. They have a meeting once a month for newbies and can provide a ton of info for starting out gluten-free.

Happy turkey day. :) And let us know how your search for answers goes. :)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Slr38

Slr38

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for the great info. IF ever I am diagnosed with celiac disease I will have to ask you about the the stores in the NW. Good to know there are some around. The meetings also sound very useful.

Thanks again.

Stephanie

#18 Slr38

Slr38

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Also my hair started growing in again so I have small patches of hair 2" long sticking out the top of my head; I like thicker hair but it looks a bit silly when the wind messes it up. LOL Unfortunately something else is causing it to thin again... two steps forward and 1 step back, eh? lol

:)

I have these 2" hairs that stick up too as my hair falls out and regrows! Very annoying buy yes, at least it grows back :)

#19 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

If your tests end up being negative, remember that celiac blood tests have a false positive rate around 25%. ...

Oops, I think there was a little brain flatulence there. :D The blood tests are almost always right when they are positive for celiac disease. But some of them do have a false negative rate that is an issue. The tests may show you as not having celiac disease, (false negative) but you actually do have it.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#20 Slr38

Slr38

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Oops, I think there was a little brain flatulence there. :D The blood tests are almost always right when they are positive for celiac disease. But some of them do have a false negative rate that is an issue. The tests may show you as not having celiac disease, (false negative) but you actually do have it.

Thanks for clearing that up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: