arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Bystolic Medication? Gluten Free Or Not?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 betty's daughter

betty's daughter

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hi all...first time posting.
My mom, Betty, has been a thriving 79 yr. old, diagnosed Celiac 5 yrs. ago. She adjuster her diet and has been doing well.
Over the past year she has developed more sinus and allergy problems, specifically terrible headaches and nausea. Doctors have run every test, and we
think it all comes back to possible gluten in her blood pressure medication. She hates taking any kind of medication to begin with, and her anxiety concerning NOT feeling well has cut into her quality of life. She's convinced it's possibly her dose of Bystolic, but we can't seem to find a definite gluten component or a generic substitute.

A new doctor just put her on Zoloft for her panic and anxiety about not feeling well most of the time. It's heartbreaking to know she feels bad, but I'm also wondering if she's on the border of obsessing and also creating hypochondriac associations with what could be allergy/sinus issues?

I'm starting to lose my mind!
Anyone have any thoughts?
thanks.
Betty's daughter!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yes, on glutenfreedrugs.com, it does list Bystolic as "may contain wheat" unfortunately. As you say, there seems to be no way of knowing. Is this a brand name medication? Is there a generic for it? Oh, I went back and read your post again and you answered that question. Can her doctor come up with an equivalent medication? There are often several drugs in the same class and sometimes one will work just as well as another, although she may not be receptive to trying another -- maybe if you tell her it will make her feel better???

Is the Zoloft helping her at all? Is she on any allergy/sinus medication?

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

If your mom is getting gluten, it's also possible that this could be contributing to her anxiety. Many of us have panic attacks, heightened anxiety or sudden depression as a reaction to gluten.

For myself, my emotional symptoms are that everything starts to feel more stressful, more upsetting. My frustration tolerance takes a nosedive, and my ability to concentrate and think clearly crashes. If I get it continually, I'll have a long bout of severe depression until I get the gluten out of my system.

My daughter has full blown panic attacks that will last hours, on and off for days after she's been glutened.

So while your mother's anxiety may be extreme, it may actually have a physical cause as opposed to a metnally induced physical cause (psychosomatic, in other words), if that makes sense?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#4 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I just called the manufacture today and as of Feb. 2014 Bystolic still "may contain" gluten.  I was told that the possible source is the inactive ingredient polysorbate.  I've been diagnosed with IST(inappropriate sinus tachycardia) and my cardiologist prescribed this.  I didn't know until I called to check before filling my RX.  There still isn't a generic. 

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: