2 replies to this topic

#1 MrsSprinkles

MrsSprinkles

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm going to risk looking like a hypochondriac with this considering all of my other posts hoping some of the medical people on here cab help me out...but my doctor did some blood work on me (excluding celiac even tho I ran gluten sensitivities by her after my gluten trial and error diet) and she said the findings were normal but the CCP Antibodies in my RF profile came back 26 (weak positive) but the RA Latex Turbid came back within normal limits (8.5). ESR, CRP, and ANA were all negative...could this mean anything? Could this be a weak positive because of a gluten issue? Whether it's coincidence or not, I have had major issues since consuming a large amount of gluten two weeks ago. Any answers and peace of mind would e appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

I would look into seeing a rheumatologist for your slightly positive RF. As far as I know, that's not something that celiac disease can cause. ESR, CRP, and ANA are usally test run for connective tissue AI diseases like Lupus, MCTD, UCTD, or RA, although I know that people with those disease often end up with negative tests too. Gluten intolerance is a fairly frequent issue with those AI issues (can cause a flare-up) but I'm not sure if there is a direct celiac link.

Celiac disease can cause many of the same symptoms of those AI diseases though, so it might be worth having a doctor run some blood work, but you'll have to ensure that you are eating gluten to get an accurate test.

Good luck. I hope you find some answers.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

I took a peek at your other post listing your symptoms. Are you currently eating gluten? If so, I'd push for a full celiac blood panel. Perhaps print the list of symptoms you posted along with information about the various symptoms of Celiac Disease to take along to your next appointment.

If you have already been mostly gluten-free for some time you'll need to decide if it is worth ingesting gluten in order to have testing done.

Another option is to remove ALL gluten for at least three months to monitor symptom improvement - this is the ONLY test for Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance.

As Nicole mentioned, you should consult with Rheumatology regarding the RF result. The positive result does not indicate Celiac Disease - other than the fact that Autoimmune Disorders often run together with and/or share common symptoms with Celiac Disease.

Good Luck :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: