#1 Persei V.

Persei V.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Just a tiny TMI alert...

Today has been a weird day. Apparently, I was glutened by my tapioca (maybe it was the strainer I used, my sister cooked the not so gluten free rice pasta and used it) so yesterday I felt discomfort and unusual bloating. Today, a minor part of my stools was loose, had a foul smell and there were bits of food (ew :blink:). And I feel so hungry!

Since I was glutened, I decided to keep the diet very light. To breakfast, I had a tall glass of acerola juice, a scrambled egg and a banana. Two hours later, I felt cramping, and I started going nuts thinking what the hell did I eat to cause me cramping, then turns out it was hunger. Made a light tomato soup, ate a cup of it with passion fruit juice. Two hours later, cramping. It was hunger. Half of a cup of the soup, an apple. Two hours later, the same damn thing. Ate another banana, a glass of guava juice. And again. Another scrambled egg, another apple. Now it won't make even a couple of hours I ate this last meal and I'm hungry again, with cramping and all. Will make a glass of cajá (a local fruit) juice.

I know I'm not eating a lot (and haven't been since I entered the whole foods diet, I always stay at or under 1000 kcal a day no matter what and how much I eat) in the past few days but it doesn't feel very normal that I have cramps of hunger after every couple of hours, although they do subisde after I eat.

Advice? Should I just shut up and eat a gluten-free hamburguer?
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

If that's all I ate, I'd be starving, too. I'd go for that nice juicy gluten-free hamburger!!! Posted Image

Maybe I missed it in a previous post, but is there a reason you need or want to stay at or under 1,000 calories a day?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'd say phooie on the 1k calorie thing and go for it (if you don't have a medical reason to do so).

You could also eat more often with less meals. Thats what i generally do.

#4 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

I actually end on 1000 cals by chance. I eat normally and use a calorie counter app on my phone as a food log, and I put the exact quantities and everything. It always end up 1000 or less, and usually I have only three or four major meals... Today was an exception because I thought my tummy would be upset. It is not, gladly :P

I am definitely concerned because I have swimming and dance classes, and I am underweight already (92 pounds at 5'3) but I just didn't find the right foods yet. Right now, I tried to cut the salad of my plate at lunch to eat more meat, rice and beans but then I reached 1000. Before, I'd stay at 800 or 900 at best.

Maybe meat is the solution...

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I definitely think you need more protein and good fats. Your body is telling you something...you're starving!!!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Exactly! Also, can you eat tree nuts? They're loaded in protien.

#7 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

I used to eat cashews, then I reacted to them as well (it wasn't CC, I tend to react to things when I eat them a lot and too frequently, learned the lesson <_< ) so I'm thinking of introducing some brazilian nuts and almonds now.

Will try to make a recipe of honey and lemon cupcakes without baking powder and with whole foods only to see if I get along well with them.

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I have to agree that you are definitely not eating enough. Honestly though, after I've had a glutening incident I find that for several days I have very severe stomach cramps. They are quite similar to the pain I'll get after not eating for days, and I've found only one thing helps. Constant snacking. The only relief I get is to keep something, anything, in my stomach. From sunup to sundown I will keep something I can munch on within arms reach and start stuffing my face the minute I feel the pain again. I don't personally have a lot of protein options so I like to do things like hard boiled eggs and fresh veggies with some dip. Or I'll even do cheese if you can do dairy. I probably only eat 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of something at a time but it's enough to keep my stomach from gnawing on my spine.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

That's what I'm doing basically... I snack every couple of hours or so right now. Hmm... Carrots :lol:

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

And you're eating a lot of low energy-density foods. The don't have many calories for their size and ability to fill you up. Which is great for some people, but not so great if you're needing the calories (and sustained energy) to keep your blood sugar up.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Fruit juice is very high in natural sugar. It has as much sugar as soda. It might make you spike and then crash needing nourishment. I agree also that high protein and good fats would be helpful. Without coconut, olive oil, or butter, I am hungry again shortly thereafter.

Diana

#12 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

I find avocado or sweet potato keep me full well
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

I definitely think you need more protein and good fats. Your body is telling you something...you're starving!!!

I agree.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

If you react to things after eating them a lot or too frequently it might be because you are salicylate sensitive. Salicylates build up in your system. Pistachios are a good example. I can eat ten or twelve at a sitting, and only once a week. Any more than that and I have a reaction. Most nuts are high in sals. Walnuts are generally safe though. How do you do with berries? They are all very high in sals. Do you have trouble with them? Check out salicylatesensitivity.com for more info.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#15 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, all that juice is cranking your blood sugar all over the place. I don't even drink any kind of juice anymore, I just eat the fruit. With cheese. You really need more calorie dense foods, soup and apples and juice just aren't going to cut it.

Avocados, nuts, olive oil, potatoes, sweet potatoes, all winter squashes, MEAT. These things will help keep you full.

So yes, to answer your question, shut up and eat a hamburger.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: