15 replies to this topic

#1 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

My son's bday party is tomorrow. I got the gluten-free cake under control, got gluten-free snacks. I forgot I need to decorate this cake lol

Does anyone have a good and quick icing recipe that is suitable for tinting and piping? Oh, and is food coloring gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

If you don't have time you could always use Betty Crocker frosting. If it is gluten free it will be on the label. I don't worry about food coloring. Have a great birthday party!!

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

My boys and their friends thought M&Ms on the plain icing (whaterever color) was the best looking cake they had seen! Cake and candy! Just sprinkle the M&Ms on while the icing is its softest.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

I already have the cake made. It's buzz lightyear

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well....just make some royal icing like you would normally pipe with. i always used the powdered kind but I know you can make it.

http://www.joyofbaki...RoyalIcing.html

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

I use a takeoff of the Wilton's Buttercream frosting. My recipe is something like this:

1 cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter extract (or sub in an additional teaspoon of vanilla extract)
6 cups confectioners' sugar
pinch of salt
enough milk to get to the consistency you want (can use water if you need to avoid milk)

I measure everything half-a$$ed . . . it's very forgiving . . . oops, added too much liquid? then add more powdered sugar.

In reality, I probably use twice as much extract as what I have listed. If you want the very white icing, then you need to use the clear extracts. If you want intense/deep colors, you should use paste type coloring.

Wilton makes the clear vanilla and clear butter extracts/flavorings. Their paste colors and extracts/flavorings are gluten free and can be purchased at places like Wal-Mart, Micheal's, and JoAnn's. All three locations have "Wilton" sections.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#7 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Posted Image

I got it done. By the time I Google all the ingredients and got it made, it took 6.5 hrs but looks great!! I hope it tastes ok. I hope this picture link works

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

OH wow that turned out really good :)

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

That is a work of Art! The kids will love it!

santa-dance.gif

#10 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thanks! I'm really proud of how it looks. I hope it tastes ok. This will be my first ever gluten-free baking. I did almost booboo though. Apparently walmart brand cooking spray has flour in it. Good thing I checked! I had heard cooking sprays are fine, but apparently just Pam original

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Wow! Great Job. My now 17 year old son was Buzz's biggest fan for almost 5 years - wore his Buzz costume every day it wasn't in the wash for a good six months after his third Halloween.

Have a wonderful party - your son is very lucky boy.

"To Infinity and Beyond" ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Nicely done!!!

Don't be offended when they just eat the icing and leave a lot of cake . . . that has nothing to do with gluten/gluten-free cake and everything to do with kids love icing :lol:
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#13 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

That does look great! I agree about the icing too lol, I think this year was the first year that kids were eating the cake and not just the icing, they were all 7 to 10 years of age so a little older than kids in previous years.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#14 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Not only did they eat it...I got compliments!! The adults said it was awesome and the kids loved that the cake was purple and green. It was heavy but moist. Almost like a pound cake heavy. I'm assuming that is from using rice flour instead of wheat.

#15 peachpower

peachpower

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image

I got it done. By the time I Google all the ingredients and got it made, it took 6.5 hrs but looks great!! I hope it tastes ok. I hope this picture link works

That is amazing!!! Great job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: