This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Found Something For Inflammation

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

Wanted to share this....I have been on a gluten-free diet for 1 1/2 years but for the longest time still having issues.....something in my body was being attacked randomly like a wild fire. I went completely grain free, sugar free 6 months ago and FINALLY after over a year the buzzing in my ears went away. If I did have any corn or rice I noticed my hands would get tight and my feet would hurt. So I tried nettle tea which claimed to help with inflammation.....BINGO, it worked!!!! I drank a cup every day the first week, now I drink a cup every other day and I can now have small amounts of corn and rice without my hands and feet hurting, and no more ringing in my ears!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gary'sgirl Explorer

Wanted to share this....I have been on a gluten-free diet for 1 1/2 years but for the longest time still having issues.....something in my body was being attacked randomly like a wild fire. I went completely grain free, sugar free 6 months ago and FINALLY after over a year the buzzing in my ears went away. If I did have any corn or rice I noticed my hands would get tight and my feet would hurt. So I tried nettle tea which claimed to help with inflammation.....BINGO, it worked!!!! I drank a cup every day the first week, now I drink a cup every other day and I can now have small amounts of corn and rice without my hands and feet hurting, and no more ringing in my ears!!!!

That's awesome that you found something to help you! I was wondering if you are still having double vision or any of the other symptoms you were experiencing? Did the nettle tea take care of your remaining problems from having Celiac?

I'm so interested to know.

Newbee Contributor

Very interesting. Glad you found something to help! :)

Adalaide Mentor

I had totally forgotten about nettle tea or it's existence. It is the only thing that my grammy says keeps her going. It is the difference between her hands being in knots and her being able to knead bread and crochet like she always has. Without it her joints will swell like balloons.

kareng Grand Master

Can you get that in a tea bag? I thought someone said you get the nettles and soak them or something? How does it taste?

IrishHeart Veteran

oh baby, do I need this!! I still have wicked inflammation and I have tried EVERYTHING suggested to me. I mean it. (Even weirdo stuff I would never admit to openly.) :lol:

Ok, I just read this:

"If there's one plant to have on hand at all times that provides a cure for arthritis, an herbal treatment for allergies, relieves hair loss, treats Celiac disease, bleeding, bladder infections, skin complaints, neurological disorders and a long list of other conditions -- it's nettle leaf.

Nettle plants grow wild across the U.S., Europe and around the globe; they are used for both medicinal purposes and as food. Highly nutritious, the prickly plant is often used as a spring tonic. It's a natural cleanse that removes metabolic wastes and is both gentle and stimulating on the lymph system, promoting easy excretion through the kidneys.

Learn more: Open Original Shared Link

..did I read that correctly: treats celiac disease? well, it explains it more fully as....helps reduce symptoms.

I'm willing to give it a try for these aching joints and bones. And if my hair grows in faster, it would be a major bonus.

Thanks for sharing, A!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow-- my MIL swears by stinging nettles for allergies. Lately my knees feel like they're 95, I'm trying this. Thanks:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Can you get that in a tea bag? I thought someone said you get the nettles and soak them or something? How does it taste?

To answer my own question - yes. I found some at Whole Foods

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm in the car (not driving). Gonna stop at Wegmans, hopefully they'll have it.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm in the car (not driving). Gonna stop at Wegmans, hopefully they'll have it.

They do, I saw it when I googled !! :D

Bummer, we do not have a Whole Foods or a Wegmans--but they should be here by 2014, I have learned.... whoohoo!

I had to resort to the ever-popular "delivery by amazon".

Newbee Contributor

IrishHeart - Thanks for the link and extra information! It sounds amazing. I'm sooo trying this!!!

lil'chefy Apprentice

I can't wait to try! I hadn't considered it before, but is my celiac disease causing my joint stiffness and my aching foot pain? Geez! I didn't know that too. I have actually been getting ready to call the Dr. about my aching joints. I will first try Nettle tea.

IrishHeart Veteran

is my celiac disease causing my joint stiffness and my aching foot pain?

probably. Has your doc checked your ANA, sed rate, c-reactive protein etc. for inflammatory diseases?

jerseyangel Proficient

Got it at Weggies:). Brewed a cup when we got home-- tasted nice, not too strong or bitter.

We should all compare notes going forward!

squirmingitch Veteran

I wonder if it will help with dh? Hmmmmm........

GottaSki Mentor

Wow...can possibly help inflammation for me and allergies for my son - I just ordered some for us as well.

Felt funny buying something that I avoid like the plague on a hike, but I'm in for another experiment that can possibly reduce chronic inflammation.

Thanks for sharing!

AVR1962 Collaborator

That's awesome that you found something to help you! I was wondering if you are still having double vision or any of the other symptoms you were experiencing? Did the nettle tea take care of your remaining problems from having Celiac?

I'm so interested to know.

Gary'sGirl, I have not had any double vision in maybe over a year but still having blurred vision. Have done some experimenting and it seems the blur is coming from one eye and not the other so I am wondering if perhaps the two eyes are not focusing together properly??? I plan to go to an optomologist.

I still have issues with my nerves.....numbness below the knees that docs have not been able to pinpoint but my body is no longer on fire. I have not felt this good in a long long time.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Yes, I bought it from Amazon in bag form. It tastes like grass but really if you are having inflammation issues I highly suggest it.

AVR1962 Collaborator

oh baby, do I need this!! I still have wicked inflammation and I have tried EVERYTHING suggested to me. I mean it. (Even weirdo stuff I would never admit to openly.) :lol:

Ok, I just read this:

"If there's one plant to have on hand at all times that provides a cure for arthritis, an herbal treatment for allergies, relieves hair loss, treats Celiac disease, bleeding, bladder infections, skin complaints, neurological disorders and a long list of other conditions -- it's nettle leaf.

Nettle plants grow wild across the U.S., Europe and around the globe; they are used for both medicinal purposes and as food. Highly nutritious, the prickly plant is often used as a spring tonic. It's a natural cleanse that removes metabolic wastes and is both gentle and stimulating on the lymph system, promoting easy excretion through the kidneys.

Learn more: Open Original Shared Link

..did I read that correctly: treats celiac disease? well, it explains it more fully as....helps reduce symptoms.

I'm willing to give it a try for these aching joints and bones. And if my hair grows in faster, it would be a major bonus.

Thanks for sharing, A!!

IrishHeart, please let me know what you results are if you decide to try it. I have been very pleased!

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart, please let me know what you results are if you decide to try it. I have been very pleased!

A,

I just ordered some and I will most definitely keep you posted.

I am all for trying things and seeing if it helps.

Just nobody suggest bungie jumping to me. :lol:

I am so happy to see you feeling so well, hon!!

AVR1962 Collaborator

A,

I just ordered some and I will most definitely keep you posted.

I am all for trying things and seeing if it helps.

Just nobody suggest bungie jumping to me. :lol:

I am so happy to see you feeling so well, hon!!

It's been a long journey, docs have been very little help and basically I have had to experiemnt and just try to see if things will work, have done alot of reading, this one I was excited about because it actually did something positive for me! Bea had suggested a few months ago but my body was a bit too broken at the time for me to know what was helping and what was not. It's been a slow process but I am getting there!

IrishHeart Veteran

but my body was a bit too broken at the time for me to know what was helping and what was not. It's been a slow process but I am getting there!

I think we discussed this a few times, too--and I agree--and can totally relate.

When we are first healing, it IS very difficult to see that constant, chronic inflammation and a raw gut makes it impossible to determine what helps & what doesn't and we often think it is "this food, that food, this additive, etc" and we drive ourselves mad with it all.

I know what you mean about s-l-o-w....I am like the tortoise when it comes to recovery, but as my doc says " but, he won the race, remember?" :D

You keep doing what you're doing--it's working for you!

and now you've got a whole bunch bunch of us "achy types" following your tip. :lol:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I'm totally sending my mother out to buy nettle tea! Maybe it will fix her arthiritis. She has old elbow, knee, shoulder, back injuries that trouble her, and it's started on her hands now too. Would be nice if something other than corrosive painkillers could help.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

BTW, I'm sending her out to get it rather than getting it myself because we're two thousand miles apart. Just realized how horrible that sounded....

bartfull Rising Star

I'll be picking some up at my healthfood store tomorrow. I read about how to make your own and it doesn't sound that hard, but after the 20 degree temps we had the past few overnights, (combined with my inability in the kitchen) I'll just buy some.

Archived