137 replies to this topic

#1 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Wanted to share this....I have been on a gluten-free diet for 1 1/2 years but for the longest time still having issues.....something in my body was being attacked randomly like a wild fire. I went completely grain free, sugar free 6 months ago and FINALLY after over a year the buzzing in my ears went away. If I did have any corn or rice I noticed my hands would get tight and my feet would hurt. So I tried nettle tea which claimed to help with inflammation.....BINGO, it worked!!!! I drank a cup every day the first week, now I drink a cup every other day and I can now have small amounts of corn and rice without my hands and feet hurting, and no more ringing in my ears!!!!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Wanted to share this....I have been on a gluten-free diet for 1 1/2 years but for the longest time still having issues.....something in my body was being attacked randomly like a wild fire. I went completely grain free, sugar free 6 months ago and FINALLY after over a year the buzzing in my ears went away. If I did have any corn or rice I noticed my hands would get tight and my feet would hurt. So I tried nettle tea which claimed to help with inflammation.....BINGO, it worked!!!! I drank a cup every day the first week, now I drink a cup every other day and I can now have small amounts of corn and rice without my hands and feet hurting, and no more ringing in my ears!!!!

That's awesome that you found something to help you! I was wondering if you are still having double vision or any of the other symptoms you were experiencing? Did the nettle tea take care of your remaining problems from having Celiac?

I'm so interested to know.

#3 Newbee

Newbee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Very interesting. Glad you found something to help! :)

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

I had totally forgotten about nettle tea or it's existence. It is the only thing that my grammy says keeps her going. It is the difference between her hands being in knots and her being able to knead bread and crochet like she always has. Without it her joints will swell like balloons.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Can you get that in a tea bag? I thought someone said you get the nettles and soak them or something? How does it taste?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

oh baby, do I need this!! I still have wicked inflammation and I have tried EVERYTHING suggested to me. I mean it. (Even weirdo stuff I would never admit to openly.) :lol:

Ok, I just read this:

"If there's one plant to have on hand at all times that provides a cure for arthritis, an herbal treatment for allergies, relieves hair loss, treats Celiac disease, bleeding, bladder infections, skin complaints, neurological disorders and a long list of other conditions -- it's nettle leaf.

Nettle plants grow wild across the U.S., Europe and around the globe; they are used for both medicinal purposes and as food. Highly nutritious, the prickly plant is often used as a spring tonic. It's a natural cleanse that removes metabolic wastes and is both gentle and stimulating on the lymph system, promoting easy excretion through the kidneys.

Learn more: http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz28dlSHPq3

..did I read that correctly: treats celiac disease? well, it explains it more fully as....helps reduce symptoms.

I'm willing to give it a try for these aching joints and bones. And if my hair grows in faster, it would be a major bonus.

Thanks for sharing, A!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Wow-- my MIL swears by stinging nettles for allergies. Lately my knees feel like they're 95, I'm trying this. Thanks:)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Can you get that in a tea bag? I thought someone said you get the nettles and soak them or something? How does it taste?

To answer my own question - yes. I found some at Whole Foods

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'm in the car (not driving). Gonna stop at Wegmans, hopefully they'll have it.
Patti

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'm in the car (not driving). Gonna stop at Wegmans, hopefully they'll have it.

They do, I saw it when I googled !! :D

Bummer, we do not have a Whole Foods or a Wegmans--but they should be here by 2014, I have learned.... whoohoo!

I had to resort to the ever-popular "delivery by amazon".

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#11 Newbee

Newbee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

IrishHeart - Thanks for the link and extra information! It sounds amazing. I'm sooo trying this!!!

#12 lil'chefy

lil'chefy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I can't wait to try! I hadn't considered it before, but is my celiac disease causing my joint stiffness and my aching foot pain? Geez! I didn't know that too. I have actually been getting ready to call the Dr. about my aching joints. I will first try Nettle tea.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

is my celiac disease causing my joint stiffness and my aching foot pain?

probably. Has your doc checked your ANA, sed rate, c-reactive protein etc. for inflammatory diseases?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Got it at Weggies:). Brewed a cup when we got home-- tasted nice, not too strong or bitter.

We should all compare notes going forward!
Patti

#15 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

I wonder if it will help with dh? Hmmmmm........

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: