137 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Wow...can possibly help inflammation for me and allergies for my son - I just ordered some for us as well.

Felt funny buying something that I avoid like the plague on a hike, but I'm in for another experiment that can possibly reduce chronic inflammation.

Thanks for sharing!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

That's awesome that you found something to help you! I was wondering if you are still having double vision or any of the other symptoms you were experiencing? Did the nettle tea take care of your remaining problems from having Celiac?

I'm so interested to know.

Gary'sGirl, I have not had any double vision in maybe over a year but still having blurred vision. Have done some experimenting and it seems the blur is coming from one eye and not the other so I am wondering if perhaps the two eyes are not focusing together properly??? I plan to go to an optomologist.

I still have issues with my nerves.....numbness below the knees that docs have not been able to pinpoint but my body is no longer on fire. I have not felt this good in a long long time.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#18 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Can you get that in a tea bag? I thought someone said you get the nettles and soak them or something? How does it taste?

Yes, I bought it from Amazon in bag form. It tastes like grass but really if you are having inflammation issues I highly suggest it.

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#19 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

oh baby, do I need this!! I still have wicked inflammation and I have tried EVERYTHING suggested to me. I mean it. (Even weirdo stuff I would never admit to openly.) :lol:

Ok, I just read this:

"If there's one plant to have on hand at all times that provides a cure for arthritis, an herbal treatment for allergies, relieves hair loss, treats Celiac disease, bleeding, bladder infections, skin complaints, neurological disorders and a long list of other conditions -- it's nettle leaf.

Nettle plants grow wild across the U.S., Europe and around the globe; they are used for both medicinal purposes and as food. Highly nutritious, the prickly plant is often used as a spring tonic. It's a natural cleanse that removes metabolic wastes and is both gentle and stimulating on the lymph system, promoting easy excretion through the kidneys.

Learn more: http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz28dlSHPq3

..did I read that correctly: treats celiac disease? well, it explains it more fully as....helps reduce symptoms.

I'm willing to give it a try for these aching joints and bones. And if my hair grows in faster, it would be a major bonus.

Thanks for sharing, A!!

IrishHeart, please let me know what you results are if you decide to try it. I have been very pleased!

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:11 AM

IrishHeart, please let me know what you results are if you decide to try it. I have been very pleased!

A,

I just ordered some and I will most definitely keep you posted.

I am all for trying things and seeing if it helps.

Just nobody suggest bungie jumping to me. :lol:

I am so happy to see you feeling so well, hon!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

A,

I just ordered some and I will most definitely keep you posted.

I am all for trying things and seeing if it helps.

Just nobody suggest bungie jumping to me. :lol:

I am so happy to see you feeling so well, hon!!

It's been a long journey, docs have been very little help and basically I have had to experiemnt and just try to see if things will work, have done alot of reading, this one I was excited about because it actually did something positive for me! Bea had suggested a few months ago but my body was a bit too broken at the time for me to know what was helping and what was not. It's been a slow process but I am getting there!

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

but my body was a bit too broken at the time for me to know what was helping and what was not. It's been a slow process but I am getting there!

I think we discussed this a few times, too--and I agree--and can totally relate.

When we are first healing, it IS very difficult to see that constant, chronic inflammation and a raw gut makes it impossible to determine what helps & what doesn't and we often think it is "this food, that food, this additive, etc" and we drive ourselves mad with it all.

I know what you mean about s-l-o-w....I am like the tortoise when it comes to recovery, but as my doc says " but, he won the race, remember?" :D

You keep doing what you're doing--it's working for you!

and now you've got a whole bunch bunch of us "achy types" following your tip. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#23 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

I'm totally sending my mother out to buy nettle tea! Maybe it will fix her arthiritis. She has old elbow, knee, shoulder, back injuries that trouble her, and it's started on her hands now too. Would be nice if something other than corrosive painkillers could help.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#24 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

BTW, I'm sending her out to get it rather than getting it myself because we're two thousand miles apart. Just realized how horrible that sounded....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#25 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'll be picking some up at my healthfood store tomorrow. I read about how to make your own and it doesn't sound that hard, but after the 20 degree temps we had the past few overnights, (combined with my inability in the kitchen) I'll just buy some.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

BTW, I'm sending her out to get it rather than getting it myself because we're two thousand miles apart. Just realized how horrible that sounded....

ya know, for a second there, I was thinkin...that's not like Bunzer bean to be such a beyotch making her arthritic mama go get it herself.

Good thing you cleared that up.

and hello, you silly pants--missed ya! ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I got some and had a cup about an hour ago. Didn't taste good so I added honey and some lemon juice. Much bettter.

Just sitting here waiting for it to kick in! ...... How long does it take? Thought I would be cured by now! :P

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#28 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

The websites I looked at said not to drink more than one cup a day or you risk getting D. I would imagine that if you made it too strong, the same would apply. They said steep it for ten minutes.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

How long does it take? Thought I would be cured by now! :P

:rolleyes: don't start, missy or you're gonna get a time out.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have been (since yesterday) steeping for 10 minutes, covering the top of the mug with a small plate. Seems to work well that way.

I also read that it could have a laxative effect if "taken excessively"-- whatever "excessively" means. If something had the potential to cause diarrhea, I will get it no question. I had one cup yesterday, no problem and one today, so far so good. Planning to drink one more after dinner and see how that goes.

Like Karen, still waiting to see any improvement to my arthritis and/or eczema.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: