137 replies to this topic

#76 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

I know....sigh, but I do have the GEM of a lifetime GI doc in my corner now!

and even HE said it was okay to "indulge in moderation" and it was better than taking NSAIDS, muscle relaxers or narcotic pain meds. ;)

Seriously, going out to get the Tart Cherry juice tomorrow. Patti's idea is a good one.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I was thinking of putting it in the tea or lemonade or lime soda? Perhaps a cherry margarita!

Have a "check-up" tomorrow. Not sure I will mention the tea. She may be pissed that I had the lab tech change what lab tests I got. :ph34r:

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#78 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I was thinking of putting it in the tea or lemonade or lime soda? Perhaps a cherry margarita!

Have a "check-up" tomorrow. Not sure I will mention the tea. She may be pissed that I had the lab tech change what lab tests I got. :ph34r:

Good luck, K. Hope all's well.
No need to mention drinking herbal tea--- unless it is contraindicated with a prescription drug. For example, green tea can cause some issues.

"Do not use green tea without first talking to your doctor if you have

heart problems or high blood pressure,
kidney disease,
an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism),
an anxiety or nervous disorder, or
a bleeding or blood clotting disorder or if you take a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin).

Green tea contains a large amount of caffeine and may be problematic if used by people with any of the conditions listed above. You may not be able to use green tea, or your doctor or health care provider may recommend a lower dose or special monitoring."

of course, there are these warnings too:

"Because stinging nettles can produce side effects and interact with other drugs and natural treatments, consult your healthcare practitioner before using it.

Learn more: http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz2AAXviF6O

hmmm.... cherry margarita..

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#79 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Good luck, K. Hope all's well. (No need to mention drinking herbal tea unless it is contraindicated with a prescription drug. For example, green tea can cause some issues).

hmmm. cherry margarita..

If I have a perscription, I would have to figure that out anyway. A doc wouldn't know.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#80 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

I still haven't tried it yet. I am waiting a bit to see if the nettle tea drinkers all mysteriously stop posting. Total thread silence could be a warning better than on a pill bottle. :blink: :unsure: :ph34r:

As long as you all are self-experimenting like Halloween mad scientists, you might want to try some rodiola rosea too. It has a rep for making one feel more energetic and positive. Or mullein tea, which has a rep for, dang I think it was GI symptom relief or something like that.

Luckily we all live far enough away from each other that a self sustaining fission reaction isn't likely to develop. I hope. :blink:
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#81 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

If I have a perscription, I would have to figure that out anyway. A doc wouldn't know.

exactly.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#82 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

As long as you all are self-experimenting like Halloween mad scientists, you might want to try some rodiola rosea too.

I did try that, and it gave me insomnia. It is supposed to be very good, though--unfortunately I had that side effect.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#83 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

As long as you all are self-experimenting like Halloween mad scientists

I did everything suggested by an ND and an "integrative MD" for 2 years pre-DX. THAT baloney was "experimenting like a Mad scientist" <_<

Drinking this one herbal tea (that has minimal side effects) is easily controlled and monitored.

"stinging nettle has possible side effects, including retaining water and upsetting your stomach. Avoid stinging nettle if you are pregnant, as it can possibly cause a miscarriage. It can also change a woman's menstrual cycle."

I'm not seeing how any of these is an issue for me.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#84 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

"stinging nettle has possible side effects, including retaining water"

LOL...the reading I did before I joined this experiment said nettle tea is used to remedy water retention :P

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#85 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

LOL...the reading I did before I joined this experiment said nettle tea is used to remedy water retention :P

Sounds just like all the other medical advice we receive - what's true yesterday is false tomorrow!! I wonder if doctors ever take true/false tests on exams?? T'would be tricky. :blink: Of course, they don't study much of this stuff. :D

ETA: I once took a class where I had to put in my notes "IB" for "instructor believes" so I could get the T/F questions right :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#86 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Something else that can be tried for inflammation - the thread is so long I don't know if it has already been mentioned -- but I found this on another forum I frequent:

http://www.afibbers....3915#msg-133915

Jackie Burgess' recipe for ginger tea:

"Be sure you buy organic ginger root...and I'd avoid anything grown in China even if marked organic.

Slice into "coins" about 2 - 3 inches of organic ginger root which has been thoroughly scrubbed and washed.
Add that to a quart of purified (non-tap) water and simmer just under boiling for about 30 minutes.
It will continue to steep and the flavor will intensify as it sits in the pan.

I add a 3"stick of cinnamon along with the ginger root.
Eventually, the cinnamon adds a dark color to the tea.
Sometimes I also add 3 - 4 whole cloves just for interest.

This is great either hot or iced. Store in the refrigerator. "

I have not tried this myself yet, but intend to. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#87 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Shroom, that sounds delicious. Let us know if you try it. I'll bet it's good for a stomach ache too.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#88 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

I've used ginger tea for stomach aches since ginger ale stopped working for me...it works great :)

Haven't added cinnamon - but will do next time - thanks for sharing Neroli!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#89 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

I did try that, and it gave me insomnia. It is supposed to be very good, though--unfortunately I had that side effect.

Did that for me too Patti-cakes, insomnia city. This time I am going to try it every other day instead of daily. I ahve 700 MG capsules. Maybe every two days just to see what it does.

I did everything suggested by an ND and an "integrative MD" for 2 years pre-DX. THAT baloney was "experimenting like a Mad scientist" Posted Image

Drinking this one herbal tea (that has minimal side effects) is easily controlled and monitored.

"stinging nettle has possible side effects, including retaining water and upsetting your stomach. Avoid stinging nettle if you are pregnant, as it can possibly cause a miscarriage. It can also change a woman's menstrual cycle."

I'm not seeing how any of these is an issue for me.

Me too really,. stomach upset? I can't imagine that happening to any of us. Sounds wildly implausible. :D

I picked mullein today and am going to try making some tea with it. Just for the heck of it really. It is easy to find along roadways and such. It has very soft, velvety leaves. They say to put it in tea bag or cloth to filter out the fuzziness before drinking the tea. Or the fuzziness (hairs) can be irritating.

Has anyone tried Goat's rue? It is supposed to be good for blood sugar control and making milk flow in mommies. There is a commercial med made from Goat's Rue for controlling diabetes, I think it is called Metformin.

Goat's Rue on Wiki
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#90 rekua

rekua

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

Hey Everyone,

Ginger tea is the best! I drink it with lemon and honey.

About the nettle - I don't know if you can find it in the US but when I got bored of the taste of nettle tea, I started to take it in pill form..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: