3 replies to this topic

#1 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

This has happened several times in the last ten years or so, but my scalp starts this painful, burning, tingling pain. Then come the blisters! Ugly and right in plain sight. I always know its coming, but this is the first time I have been gluten free for a decent length of time, that they have made an appearance. I was wondering if I have this to look forward to even after trying to be faithfully gluten-free.

After my recent negative biopsies on my arm, I am hesitant to see the dermatologist for fear they will take another needless chunk of skin. Only to have another negative result and this time right on my face!

Any chance this might be a different autoimmune disease with similar symptoms? I know I respond to a gluten-free diet in regard to my GI symptoms but maybe there is another explanation.
“Worry is itself an illness, since worry is an accusation against Divine Wisdom, a criticism of Divine Mercy"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Update. Dr says herpes simplex. This one is not related to DH or celiac that he can tell. So previous diagnosis of shingles may be close to accurate.

Go figure...
“Worry is itself an illness, since worry is an accusation against Divine Wisdom, a criticism of Divine Mercy"

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Did the doc biopsy for herpes? I wouldn't trust it unless he did. And why would that make the shingles dx more close to accurate?

Those of us with dh can break out any time even though we are gluten free UNTIL all the antibodies get out of our skin. I'm experiencing that as we speak.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Did the doc biopsy for herpes? I wouldn't trust it unless he did.

Have to agree with this. There is a reason DH is named dermatitis herpeformis. The lesions strongly resemble herpes lesions. Without testing your doctor wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
It can take some time for the antibodies to leave the skin. Limiting iodine is helpful for some of us. Also be sure that your shampoos, conditioners etc are all free of gluten ingredients if you haven't checked them already.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: