Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free Flat Bread?

8 posts in this topic

Does anybody have a gluten free flatbread recipe?

Or, has anyone managed to duplicate Biaggi's gluten free bread?

Ads by Google:

Best flatbread recipe i have tried:

The key to a great result is you must spread it all the way over the pan. This recipe does not need to rise

Gobsmacked rollup bread

Ingredients

1 cup fine brown rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca starch

2 Tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon instant yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 c. water

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

2 Tablespoons EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

2 eggs

2-3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour (for dusting pan/hands)

Directions

Mix together all dry ingredients except sweet rice flour (brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast and salt).

In a heavy mixer, combine wet ingredients (water, vinegar, oil, and eggs).

Slowly add dry ingredients to well blended wet ingredients.

Beat on medium/medium high speed for 4 minutes.

Dust a large jelly roll pan with flour (or oil bottom of pan and lightly dust oiled pan).

Scrap dough onto oiled/dusted pan and press as thinly as possible. (fill pan)

Using a fork, tap indentations across the entire dough.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Bake for 11-15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.

It wil come out of the oven with a slight crust that will go away as the bread cools. Allow the bread to cool 15-30 minutes before using. It will become flexible and soft.

Cut into large pieces to use as a folded sandwich bread

NOTE: Leaving the bread wrapped in a ziplock on the counter overnight will preserve the flexibility. Do not refrigerate!

Best flatbread recipe i have tried:

The key to a great result is you must spread it all the way over the pan. This recipe does not need to rise

Gobsmacked rollup bread

Ingredients

1 cup fine brown rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca starch

2 Tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon instant yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 c. water

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

2 Tablespoons EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

2 eggs

2-3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour (for dusting pan/hands)

Directions

Mix together all dry ingredients except sweet rice flour (brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast and salt).

In a heavy mixer, combine wet ingredients (water, vinegar, oil, and eggs).

Slowly add dry ingredients to well blended wet ingredients.

Beat on medium/medium high speed for 4 minutes.

Dust a large jelly roll pan with flour (or oil bottom of pan and lightly dust oiled pan).

Scrap dough onto oiled/dusted pan and press as thinly as possible. (fill pan)

Using a fork, tap indentations across the entire dough.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Bake for 11-15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.

It wil come out of the oven with a slight crust that will go away as the bread cools. Allow the bread to cool 15-30 minutes before using. It will become flexible and soft.

Cut into large pieces to use as a folded sandwich bread

NOTE: Leaving the bread wrapped in a ziplock on the counter overnight will preserve the flexibility. Do not refrigerate!

I have used this same recipe except sorghum flour instead of brown rice flour. It's very good and pretty easy. The key is to spread it really thin.

Thanks! Sounds very good. Now, I have an excuse to go get a heavy mixer (I only have a hand-held mixer).

Thanks! Sounds very good. Now, I have an excuse to go get a heavy mixer (I only have a hand-held mixer).

My KitchenAide Stand Mixer is my best friend!

My KitchenAide Stand Mixer is my best friend!

Amen to that! Don't know what I'd do without mine.

I was told by the waitress at Biaggi's that the gluten free bread they serve (flatbread) is made by Venice Bakery and you can order from them online. venicebakery.com And in case you are wondering, the gluten free pasta they serve is made by Tinyada (which I have found in most grocery stores).

This is the one I use. I use 1/4 cup each of four of my favorite gluten-free flours instead of quinoa, which I don't like. I sprinkle with chives and other chopped up herbs from my garden. In the winter time I use dried herbs.

Gluten-Free Flatbread

by Emilia on May 11, 2008

I decided to make some flatbread for this months Go Ahead Honey its Gluten Free event hosted by Naomi at Straight Into Bed Cakefree and Dried. The theme is breakfast food this month and since I eat this bread almost every morning I decided to make a post about it.

Psyllium husk is also great for people who are starting out a gluten-free diet since it promotes the healing of the stomach. I eat it mixed with water and also some glutamine if I accidentally happen to eat some gluten and it helps with the pain at least for me.

Gluten free flatbread

- 1 cup (2,4 dl) quinoa flour

-1/2 -1 tsp salt

-1 tbls psyllium husk

-3/4 cup (2 dl) water

Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 F).

Mix the salt, psyllium husk and flour together, add the water gradually so that it resembles a thick porridge, wait for a couple of minutes and then spread the batter on to a baking tray lined with baking paper.

Add the water gradually if you want to be on the sure side. It should look somewhat like porridge.

Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then spread it on to a baking tray lined with baking paper. I like to make mine small and round like small pancakes.

Sprinkle some seeds, herbs, salt or olive oil on top if you want to. I sprinkled some poppy seeds this morning.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, the time depends on the flour you used and also on how thick you have spread it. The thinner it gets, the faster it bakes. When I’m in a hurry I usually spread the batter very thinly and it bakes in 10 minutes.