Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Challenge Before Endoscopy

34 posts in this topic

I caused part of this myself by assuming when I was done with the blood test, I could stop eating the gluten. I didn't realize you needed to keep eating it for the endoscopy.

You caused nothing. There is no way you could have known not to remove gluten unless your doctor told you -- during my diagnosis process I found out the same way you did - someone on this board told me that I shouldn't remove gluten until all testing was complete, including endo. I was very thankful of that knowledge when I had my first appointment with my Celiac GI - he would have made me challenge for an additional six weeks.

I do regret that our discussion has complicated an already confusing diagnosis process - exactly what I try to avoid.

You have my apologies and sincere wishes that the your last days of ingesting gluten pass quickly - you are right that you already have the most important piece of info - you improve gluten-free. Obtaining a diagnosis can be important for many reasons, so stick it out if you can.

Take care :)

Ads by Google:

You caused nothing. There is no way you could have known not to remove gluten unless your doctor told you -- during my diagnosis process I found out the same way you did - someone on this board told me that I shouldn't remove gluten until all testing was complete, including endo. I was very thankful of that knowledge when I had my first appointment with my Celiac GI - he would have made me challenge for an additional six weeks.

I do regret that our discussion has complicated an already confusing diagnosis process - exactly what I try to avoid.

You have my apologies and sincere wishes that the your last days of ingesting gluten pass quickly - you are right that you already have the most important piece of info - you improve gluten-free. Obtaining a diagnosis can be important for many reasons, so stick it out if you can.

Well said....and I agree completely. We are here for you and we are trying to give you our very best advice.

Best wishes to you.

? :huh:

My comment that the two-challenge GI isn't what I would call a "good GI" is somehow seen as a personal attack on YOU? :rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe that any unbiased third-party observer would call that "picking a fight".

Boy, what a train wreck this thread has become! Ya know, Tom, Irish and GottaSki have offered up phenomenal advice to the OP and yet, you keep on

making attacks and challenging everything they say. I mean, really, what the hell is your problem? Who pee'd on your Cheerios this week? :blink:

Well said....and I agree completely. We are here for you and we are trying to give your our very best advice.

Best wishes to you.

Thank you, IrishHeart. I appreciate the advice! I am learning a lot and everyone is making this process better -- I don't feel so alone. :)

Thanks, Lisa! No apologies necessary. Not your fault that things went sideways here. I'm going to keep going and at this point I feel like I will make it. Just keeping my eye on the big goal. When I have my consultation with the GI, I'll tell her how hard this is on my system, and hopefully she'll schedule the endo quickly. I'm very grateful for all of your help!

Thank you, IrishHeart. I appreciate the advice! I am learning a lot and everyone is making this process better -- I don't feel so alone. :)

You're not alone now. You have us. ;) We care. Keep us posted.

I too am new to this. I have seen doctor after doctor begging for help. They all treated me for individual symptoms. I am 38 years old. I've been on rx for 8 years for reflux and have been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. I have also been on rx for hypothyroidism for 3 years. I was extremely lethargic and seemingly depressed. So then came the rx for that. Next muscle and joint pain. Another pill for that. Then blood pressure, so another pill. All the while, of course I had stomach issues, and all of these symptoms are related. No one was looking at the big picture. I finally went to a chiropractor. She suggested that maybe I had a gluten allergy. I haven't eaten gluten since 9/11/12. I am like a new person. Energy, back to my happy self, no blood pressure issues, joint and muscle pain gone.

I saw my GI last week and asked for Celiac testing as they had never before done this with previous EGD's or colonoscopies. The blood work was negative. I asked to be scheduled for the EGD and biopsy b/c I feel certain its celiac. I even asked if I needed to "contaminate" myself between now and the biopsy bc I had read such. Doc said not necessary. But from all of your posts, I'm thinking he's way off!! My test is scheduled for 11/19. Since I've only been gluten-free for a little less than 2 months, what do you think? If I keep eating gluten until day of test, should my test be accurate?

I saw my GI last week and asked for Celiac testing as they had never before done this with previous EGD's or colonoscopies. The blood work was negative. I asked to be for the EGD and biopsy b/c I feel certain its celiac. I even asked if I needed to "contaminate" myself between now and the biopsy bc I had read such. Doc said not necessary. But from all of your posts, I'm thinking he's way off!! My test is scheduled for 11/19. Since I've only been gluten-free for a little less than 2 months, what do you think? If I keep eating gluten until day of test, should my test be accurate?

My GI said that 2 pieces of bread a day for 3 weeks is enough. Although to be fair, I'm not crazy about her.