33 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thank you, IrishHeart. I appreciate the advice! I am learning a lot and everyone is making this process better -- I don't feel so alone. :)

You're not alone now. You have us. ;) We care. Keep us posted.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 GRNGRL1

GRNGRL1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

I too am new to this. I have seen doctor after doctor begging for help. They all treated me for individual symptoms. I am 38 years old. I've been on rx for 8 years for reflux and have been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. I have also been on rx for hypothyroidism for 3 years. I was extremely lethargic and seemingly depressed. So then came the rx for that. Next muscle and joint pain. Another pill for that. Then blood pressure, so another pill. All the while, of course I had stomach issues, and all of these symptoms are related. No one was looking at the big picture. I finally went to a chiropractor. She suggested that maybe I had a gluten allergy. I haven't eaten gluten since 9/11/12. I am like a new person. Energy, back to my happy self, no blood pressure issues, joint and muscle pain gone.

I saw my GI last week and asked for Celiac testing as they had never before done this with previous EGD's or colonoscopies. The blood work was negative. I asked to be scheduled for the EGD and biopsy b/c I feel certain its celiac. I even asked if I needed to "contaminate" myself between now and the biopsy bc I had read such. Doc said not necessary. But from all of your posts, I'm thinking he's way off!! My test is scheduled for 11/19. Since I've only been gluten-free for a little less than 2 months, what do you think? If I keep eating gluten until day of test, should my test be accurate?

#33 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,691 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

There is much debate on this. I'm not sure anyone really knows.

this is from the Celiac ct at Univ of chicago:

http://www.curecelia...ow-does-it-work

'Ive heard that I dont necessarily have to endure 12 weeks of eating gluten if I have a severe reaction. Is that true? How does it work?
The gut needs time to mount an antibody response that can be measured in the blood, which is why we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten. If you experience symptoms immediately, its likely that the gut itself has quickly become damaged. In these cases, you and your medical professional could consider a shorter gluten challenge (3-4 days) and then have a biopsy.
Diagnosis is not an exact science, each person responds differently to the presence of gluten in the small intestine and the amount of time it has been there. Be sure to work with your medical professional to adjust your diet, if needed, during your gluten challenge.'

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#34 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

I saw my GI last week and asked for Celiac testing as they had never before done this with previous EGD's or colonoscopies. The blood work was negative. I asked to be for the EGD and biopsy b/c I feel certain its celiac. I even asked if I needed to "contaminate" myself between now and the biopsy bc I had read such. Doc said not necessary. But from all of your posts, I'm thinking he's way off!! My test is scheduled for 11/19. Since I've only been gluten-free for a little less than 2 months, what do you think? If I keep eating gluten until day of test, should my test be accurate?

My GI said that 2 pieces of bread a day for 3 weeks is enough. Although to be fair, I'm not crazy about her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: