6 replies to this topic

#1 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

OMG, so I made it, I feel so alive but exhausted.

I was on gluten (eating breads, wheat, etc) to make sure I "symptomatic" for a revised Celiac profile and a Carcinoid 24hr urine test.

I haven't slept much for the past few days since the pain kept me up for so many nights and my stomach feels like the remains of a battle ground after a war. I feel like I had a 2 week long surgery on my stomach.

I'll update with the results as soon as I get them back from the lab, I really hope these tests are reliable since I know I was in pain during them.
Wheat and gluten tolerant until Dec 2012...
causing pain afterwards...
Gluten-free Feb to Mar 2012.
Endoscopy, pillcam, biopsies, Celiac profile, NEGATIVE.
Elimination diet isolated to gluten thus far Sep 2012.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Two weeks very well may not be long enough back on gluten to give you accurate results, especially if you were gluten free prior for any length of time. It is generally accepted that one has to consume gluten (appx. 2-3 slices of bread or equivilent per day) for 3 months. To have the best chance of accurate testing.

If you have now exhausted all your testing you are going to do, go back to eating gluten free if it makes you feel bad.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#3 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

It is generally accepted that one has to consume gluten (appx. 2-3 slices of bread or equivilent per day) for 3 months.

No, it's not.
It's becoming rarer for Drs to use 3 months for the challenge.
New members have posted that theirs was 2 wks & was positive.

Study after study says 3 months is too long & that low-dose does the trick - 2-3 slices not required anymore either.

http://gut.bmj.com/c...302196.abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3240817/
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,770 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

If you reacted that strongly to the challenge you really do have your answer no matter what the test results are.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

I feel fairly confident about being on gluten for more than 2 weeks, but really, it was the most I could tolerate (pain wise).

I'm still waiting for the test results, I hope they find something because I really can't tolerate any more.

Since the tests I'm avoiding all breads for a while. It feels so good to be pain free for a while, I can finally sleep and think (slept for 14 hours last night).
Wheat and gluten tolerant until Dec 2012...
causing pain afterwards...
Gluten-free Feb to Mar 2012.
Endoscopy, pillcam, biopsies, Celiac profile, NEGATIVE.
Elimination diet isolated to gluten thus far Sep 2012.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Good for you Sandra, your body has given you a pretty darn clear answer on gluten. If it makes you sick don't eat it. Easy advice, but learning to eat gluten-free can take some time. Remember your body trumps the medical tests. The tests can say you are a green man in the moon, but if your body doesn't like gluten, that is all you really need to know.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Good luck!

I managed 3 weeks gluten challenge, and it made me so ill I had to give up.

I think, like you, I had my answer before my results - no more gluten for me, not for anything...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: