168 replies to this topic

#16 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

L.J., I'm still working on getting you some more info. but have a question ---- Do you want an official dx or are you content to know that gluten as well as nuts are a problem for you? If you want an official dx --- how BADLY do you want to pursue that course of action?

To get dx'd you have a major obstacle ---- the Prednisone ---- AND the fluocinonide which I looked up & it is a corticosteroid. Steroids, oral or topical within the last 2 probably 3 months make a wash of dh biopsies. False negative. Oral steroids within the same time period make a wash of the celiac blood panel as well as an endoscopy with biopsy. False negative.

You need to actively have been eating gluten for a period of time for ANY of the tests or else you're looking at false negatives. Sigh.

Also, I'm not sure, to be honest, how to deal with your skin issues. The question is --- is ALL of it from dh OR is the nut allergy having an effect? I just don't know about that. I have never had a nut allergy & truthfully am not familiar with what kinds of reaction ppl have to that. But I know there are ppl on this board who know ALL about that stuff & hopefully they will see this thread & come tell us some stuff to help us figure this out.

Normally I am personally against the use of Dapsone but in your case --- dear, I think you NEED it; at least for a while. Not all ppl tolerate Dapsone. And you need to research it before you decide to give it a go. It can cause anemia. IT can give you a rash. It can damage your liver. You would need liver panels done before going on it & you would need regular blood draws to monitor & make sure it's not hurting you. But Dapsone works very QUICKLY to get rid of the itch & begin the healing process & have no more lesions. I tell newbies that the problem with Dapsone is it gives you a false sense of security. You won't have any outbreaks & you won't therefore know when you are getting glutened. But in your particular case it seems that you are having lots of GI problems & indicators besides the skin so you may have a way of telling anyway. Most of us (but not all) with dh have very mild GI indicators or none at all. This does not seem to be the case with you.

Okay, this is going to be tough for you to hear but I'm a straight shooter so here goes. With dh; when ppl come off the steroids, the rash comes raging back with a vengeance. It may help a little that you are tapering & for your sake I hope so but I'm just telling you so you will know what's happening & why.

I think your story needs to stay in one thread so others can help as much as possible & will have all your info. in the one thread to help you better. I'm going to go over to the dh forum & try to call in some troops to help you over here with the dh part of this.

Oh yeah. I did the same thing when first starting the gluten-free diet --- I thought, "MAN, am I ever eating healthy!" And I was but it was healthy in all the wrong ways. Been there, done that. It sounds like your guts are a mess so take it easy & eat very plain & simple --- no spices & such. I wonder if your problem with nuts is something that is just b/c your gut is so fragile right now. It could be that you get nuts back after you heal.

You hit me where I live with your goal of no outbreaks for 3 days amended to 2.Posted Image Boy, do I ever know that feeling! How about 1 day?Posted Image 12 hours?Posted Image Okay, we'll settle for 6 hours. How about just no oozing? Hmmmm.... I'll trade no more oozing for 10 new lesions. I think I'm getting punchy here.Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hey ya LJ,

Yep, GFin is fine with me. I am also sometimes called Paul, or hosehead, but anything is fine really.

Waiting until the weekend is a good idea. You don't need to be in a hurry to try things except for going gluten-free really, after your testing is done anyway. I used to not try anything new food wise until Friday night, so if I got sick it wouldn't affect my work as much. The backfire on that was if I got sick I usually couldn't sleep anyway and I would be loopy and out of it on Monday from lack of sleep. Can't win for losing as they say. :)

What I did when first starting gluten-free is not what I would do today, after 5 years on the gluten-free diet. I found several other intolerances in addition to gluten but it took me a while to identify them. Quite a while actually. Some of them actually developed after going gluten-free. When I first went gluten-free I ate gluten-free bread and such baked things. Now I don't eat any bread or much of any baked goods either. I do eat corn tortillas and some gluten-free chips, mostly sweet potato chips. And Corn Thins, which are kind of like flattened out rice cakes, they are non-GMO corn. I get my peanut butter at Yes! Organic Market. They have a grinder in the store so you can grind your own. Mostly I eat eggs, meats, fruits and nuts. I drink water most of the time. altho with cold wather getting here I will drink some herbal teas. I eat Daiya faux cheese shreds, those are ok. I am ok with most veggies except for nightshades, soy, and carrots. No dairy. No wine because grapes cause my feet and ankles to swell. So I just don't drink anything. There is a higher chance of liver disease for people with celiac, so I figure it is best to avoid alcohol, unlike Jestgar (civkeb mommy). Sorry inside joke there. You'll eventually get it if you stray into the silly thread (gab/chat room).

I guess the thing is, we all seem to have our foods that cause us problems, beyond gluten. Common food issues seem to be nightshades, soy, corn, oats, dairy, etc. Those are not in any particular order. One idea is to avoid the top 8 common food allergens at first, even tho celiac is not an allergy. But we do develop intolerances and sometimes allergies to foods. That may be too much for someone just starting out tho, and may not be nessacary. Diary is the most common starting problem food, as celiac destroys the villi in the small intestine that produce the enzyme (lactase) that digests dairy sugar.

Keeping your meals simple and avoiding lots of spices would be a good start. Especaily spice mixes or seasoning blends, which may have gluten in them. Single ingredient spices are usually fine.

Well, that's probably more confusing than helpful. Eat simple, and eat foods you cook from whole ingredients. Make extra to take to work with you. Fruits travel well and Lara bars are gluten-free too.

Eggs may be a problem for the iodine free diet part. So check Squirmy's links for that.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

L.J, I will never have anything worthy to add after spuirming has been on - she looks after us well and never seems to tire of having to repeat herself. A real treasure for all of us! But I did just want to say 'welcome' and add my hug ((((L.J)))
All the literature seems to indicate that mucosal blisters (i.e the ones in your mouth) are rare, and I'm sorry that you've seem to have acquired them :-( I'm sure this may have been covered, but can't see it anywhere - if you're going for the biopsy you need to still be ingesting gluten and ensure the biopsy is taken from next to an active lesion and not directly over one.
Do you have supportive people around you? Friends, family, church (perhaps we can rule out colleagues??) One thing I realised is that as a busy mum of young ones and working, I needed to claim some time for research, meal planning etc. I'm still in this phase and I believe it's important to be able to lay a good foundation and to ground yourself in the midst of chaos and new information overload.

Also, the emotional side of this is very real. There is much positivity on here and it is important to have that. But there are also a lot of very wise people who have been travelling this road for years and have got things in place to be able to maintain that positivity. Give yourself much room and grace as you deal with this.

Welcome to our little community
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#19 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi LJ,

Welcome to the forum! You might get more responses if you start a new thread. Anyhow, prednisone is a serious drug. Weaning off it would be a good idea. Celiac often causes symptoms for us after going gluten-free. Sometimes they can go on for months or years. But it is possible to get better and heal your gut if you follow the suggestions in the newbie thread and keep away from gluten. Healing can take time. Secondary food intolerances can be an issue also. Stick around and read and ask questions. We are glad to help! :D

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods.
Avoid alcohol.

FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?
http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?
http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?
http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

Dessert thread
http://www.celiac.co...399#entry802399

Easy yummy bread in minutes
http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

How bad is cheating?
http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Short temper thread
http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Non celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.nature.co...jg2012236a.html

GFinDC - sorry to add a side note, but this is a great round up. Thank you.
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#20 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

I understand the feeling. I got to the point where i too was afraid to eat anything (still kinda there >.> wish i could just stop it but nooooo). My doctors know about it ("Just try to eat something") and slowly (very slowly) i've been adding things back into my diet.

Hi Shadowicewolf!

I know that our bodies need food. I also know our bodies reject the wrong foods. Or lotions, potions, make-up, milk, ... where does the list end?

Thanks to GFin, Squirmy, and Irish Heart, I got amazing information that helps me to move forward with this fear of food... There are many foods we can eat (we just have to find them) ... So I decided that when I find that I have to "give up" one food (or product)--I *find* a replacement for it.

My goal is to find one replacement for every one thing that I give up. So, my list so far includes: Cannot use Cetaphyl *Lotion*--It has gluten--and my skin hates it!
I Replaced it with Vanicream - No Gluten :)

#21 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

GFinDC - sorry to add a side note, but this is a great round up. Thank you.

GFin--This is an *Amazing* list--and I so appreciate you all. I am still getting used to the formatting here--so there is a reply that was sent, but I wasn't quite done. The positive note I have is to you GFin, Thank you for your feedback and comfort.

To Irish Heart, Thank you for saying to EAT!

To Squirmy, Thank you for the time, energy and understanding of the horrendous rashes we endure!

On a positive note, I said in the post that clicked away--I am removing one thing and adding another. No deprivation feeling that way! :)
Instead of Cetaphyl Lotion, I am using Vanicream (no gluten) my skin is happy :D
Instead of Cheese & Milk, I am eating fresh meat that is cooked--and cut up for snacks!
Instead of Eggs, (this was a heart breaker :( I am eating a fresh pear or apple!

I had only two (very small) spots on my skin in the last 24 hours! That is a record!

Let us Embrace what we can eat -- and to hell with the things that poison us! :)

I can sleep without itching. Go to the toily without running (literally). And smile!
I find that I had a change of heart when I thought to myself, "I am upset because I am cursed with only eating healthy foods that are fresh, cooked or raw, and not full of poisons?" I then knew that I could move forward and eat, enjoy life, relish the positives, and disregard the poison. Who needs poison in their bodies??? :D

#22 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

\Let us Embrace what we can eat -- and to hell with the things that poison us! :)

I can sleep without itching. Go to the toily without running (literally). And smile!
I find that I had a change of heart when I thought to myself, "I am upset because I am cursed with only eating healthy foods that are fresh, cooked or raw, and not full of poisons?" I then knew that I could move forward and eat, enjoy life, relish the positives, and disregard the poison. Who needs poison in their bodies??? :D

L.J., you are one who TOTALLY gets it!! :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

L.J., you are one who TOTALLY gets it!! :D

Hi All!

I thank each of you (as always) and am grateful for every response!

I know that fear paralyzes us. And then we hide from everything--When we focus on the positive things--we gain "fight"--meaning, instead of feeling helpless, we feel empowered.

By the time someone becomes a member here--they probably know these feelings by now!

This forum empowers us! We know there are options--but the treasure hunt to find them is the hard part :blink: Ohhhhh, but then we find *one* thing that works for us--and we feel bliss! :D It makes me feel so grateful to find just one thing... for most of us, it seems that we become grateful for the small things in life and appreciate them more. It is a new perspective--but I love it! It some how brings us a new outlook on how we perceive the world around us! :)

#24 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi Squirmy!

I do not care if I have an "official" dx. I have "tested" the foods that are on the "NO EAT LIST"--and of course--had horrendous problems.

I appreciate you being a straight-shooter. I know that the Prednasone is "helping" with the outbreaks. (That's why I fear getting off of them)... But I also know that I will not go back to eating gluten or nuts. I do know my body is so out of whack now that the slightest thing I eat that is not "safe" for me I will react to.

You are so right when you talked about the negative positive--or is it positive negative? :) I trust my gut and trust the "outbreaks". You are also right when I am grateful for hours without a dh reaction. I have cut out as many of the high iodine foods you recommended...and--sure enough, had fewer DH outbreaks that were *smaller*! One small victory over the DH! Pure Joy for that "small step"! It does not take much to make us happy it seems! Perhaps that is part of the lessons we learn from this...enjoy the small steps of success! :)

Regarding the cream of fluocinonide--it cuts down the length of time the sores last if I catch it in time. (I think I am addicted to it) Without it, I have a major explosion in *all* ways! :( But I have learned to take one day at a time, enjoy that day *OR* learn from that day. Either way, it is a win-win. Even with a gut reaction or DH reaction--I learned about a poison (for me) that I cannot eat. That is Knowledge! With knowledge comes wisdom--with wisdom comes empowerment--and that is when we start to feel like:

"We will win this fight--We will fall in battle sometimes--but We will get up and keep on going gaining knowledge, wisdom and truth"!

That is my mantra...One day at a time--one piece of "safe" food, lotion, potion (etc) with JOY! :D

L.J., I'm still working on getting you some more info. but have a question ---- Do you want an official dx or are you content to know that gluten as well as nuts are a problem for you? If you want an official dx --- how BADLY do you want to pursue that course of action?

To get dx'd you have a major obstacle ---- the Prednisone ---- AND the fluocinonide which I looked up & it is a corticosteroid. Steroids, oral or topical within the last 2 probably 3 months make a wash of dh biopsies. False negative. Oral steroids within the same time period make a wash of the celiac blood panel as well as an endoscopy with biopsy. False negative.

You need to actively have been eating gluten for a period of time for ANY of the tests or else you're looking at false negatives. Sigh.

Also, I'm not sure, to be honest, how to deal with your skin issues. The question is --- is ALL of it from dh OR is the nut allergy having an effect? I just don't know about that. I have never had a nut allergy & truthfully am not familiar with what kinds of reaction ppl have to that. But I know there are ppl on this board who know ALL about that stuff & hopefully they will see this thread & come tell us some stuff to help us figure this out.

Normally I am personally against the use of Dapsone but in your case --- dear, I think you NEED it; at least for a while. Not all ppl tolerate Dapsone. And you need to research it before you decide to give it a go. It can cause anemia. IT can give you a rash. It can damage your liver. You would need liver panels done before going on it & you would need regular blood draws to monitor & make sure it's not hurting you. But Dapsone works very QUICKLY to get rid of the itch & begin the healing process & have no more lesions. I tell newbies that the problem with Dapsone is it gives you a false sense of security. You won't have any outbreaks & you won't therefore know when you are getting glutened. But in your particular case it seems that you are having lots of GI problems & indicators besides the skin so you may have a way of telling anyway. Most of us (but not all) with dh have very mild GI indicators or none at all. This does not seem to be the case with you.

Okay, this is going to be tough for you to hear but I'm a straight shooter so here goes. With dh; when ppl come off the steroids, the rash comes raging back with a vengeance. It may help a little that you are tapering & for your sake I hope so but I'm just telling you so you will know what's happening & why.

I think your story needs to stay in one thread so others can help as much as possible & will have all your info. in the one thread to help you better. I'm going to go over to the dh forum & try to call in some troops to help you over here with the dh part of this.

Oh yeah. I did the same thing when first starting the gluten-free diet --- I thought, "MAN, am I ever eating healthy!" And I was but it was healthy in all the wrong ways. Been there, done that. It sounds like your guts are a mess so take it easy & eat very plain & simple --- no spices & such. I wonder if your problem with nuts is something that is just b/c your gut is so fragile right now. It could be that you get nuts back after you heal.

You hit me where I live with your goal of no outbreaks for 3 days amended to 2.Posted Image Boy, do I ever know that feeling! How about 1 day?Posted Image 12 hours?Posted Image Okay, we'll settle for 6 hours. How about just no oozing? Hmmmm.... I'll trade no more oozing for 10 new lesions. I think I'm getting punchy here.Posted Image

#25 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

I understand the feeling. I got to the point where i too was afraid to eat anything (still kinda there >.> wish i could just stop it but nooooo). My doctors know about it ("Just try to eat something") and slowly (very slowly) i've been adding things back into my diet.

Shadowicewolf,
May I ask what your "safe" foods are? Do you have three things that you are 99.9% sure that you can eat? Do you have four? Do you see where I'm going with this? :) Fear makes us feel weak. Let us go forward and embrace the few foods we feel safe to eat--and slowly venture into new territory ;)

#26 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

Hi L. J,

Sounds like good thinking there, we can eat lots of other things besides gluten. The tricky thing is they put gluten in many processed foods you wouldn't nessecarily expect it to be in. So it is easier to avoid the processed foods to start. After a while your ability to eat some foods may improve, usually a good length of time to wait is about 6 months before trialing a problem food. At eh beginning when your digestive system is out of whack from celiac damage, many foods may cause reactions. But as it heals they may not be a problem. Then again they may stay problems too, it is hard to tell until we trial them.

That's sound like an improvement with the blisters. A low iodine diet is supposed to help with the DH blisters / rash. Low iodine and gluten free are a good combo for you it seems. This Livestrong article has a short list of foods with high iodine. You might want to avoid those while your blisters are happening.

List of Foods Rich in Iodine Ma
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#27 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

L.J., I haven't responded to you yet because I don't have DH (Thank God!) and didn't feel I had anything to contribute. But I just wanted to say hello and to let you know that your personality shines through and that you seem to be one heck of a great person. I wish you all the best! :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#28 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi LJ,

I just read through this thread, and as a fellow DH sufferer (though mine is MUCH better now), and I saw you mention the cheese rice cakes, my first thought was sulfites. Or MSG (or both). I found that both of those things cause me problems.

Here are some links that may help for either of those, and some ingredients are actually on both lists:
For sulfites:
http://holdthesulfites.com/
http://www.readingta...com/nosulfites/

For MSG:
http://www.msgmyth.c...dden_names.html
http://www.msgtruth.com/

Now for what I have figured out I can eat, and I just tested quinoa a few days ago, and it didn't cause problems with my ears (one of the areas I get symptoms), but I did get a bit itchy behind my knees, so I have it on the 'probably ok' list. Another thing I've added recently that's on the 'probably ok' list is blanched almond flour.

The things that I know are o.k. for me are:
* Foster farms chicken
* Natural beef (in the case of beef, 'natural' makes a difference....) though I've had regular hamburgers a couple of times at my brother's house over the past summer and seemed to be fine with that. When I buy it for myself, it's the 'natural' stuff.
* Sweet potatoes
* green beans (fresh and frozen)
* peas (frozen)
* pumpkin (can - Santiam brand is the only one I've tried, only ingredient is pumpkin)
* rice and rice noodles (white rice, noodles and rice flour in particular, I mix in brown rice and/or brown rice flour a lot of the time)
* grapefruit (I almost never used to eat this, but I had a craving for it a couple of weeks ago, and after testing I'm fine with it.)
* red rose tea
* eggs ( I try to get organic)
* organic corn tortillas (I've reacted to most tortilla chips, even the organic ones, so I create my own using the fresh organic tortillas and ex light olive oil)
* honey from a local farmers market
* maple syrup (I'm pretty sure, it's been a few weeks since I've had some...)
* navy beans, great northern beans, split peas
* C&H pure cane sugar
* Pamela's mini ginger snaps cookies
* plain yogurt, add my own applesauce & honey / sugar and not something I eat regularly. I also use it in baking sometimes as an acid with baking soda.
* apples (red and golden delicious both seem fine, haven't tested many other varieties yet)
* Challenge or Tillamook butter. (I recently tried Darigold butter because it cost a bit less, and reacted badly to it, a sulfite reaction with my ears getting waxy & blocked)
* Danish havarti cheese (on occasion)
* Lundberg brown rice cakes (I can usually only find the unsalted)
* yellow onion
* Applegate hot dogs (the great American hot dog I think they call it?)
* Sake (rice wine, only occasionally)
* carrots (usually get fresh organic)
* patty pan squash and zucchini (fm farmers market)

For baking, I use rice flour, and baking soda w/ vinegar or yogurt, and avoid the starches. It's a bit challenging, and I'm still working on it. I use guar gum (Now foods) and sometimes psyllium husk powder. I have some other things to test, but for the most part the above things work for me.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#29 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Hi Ciamarie!

I copied your list of foods--it is a great way to start adding "possible safe foods" that fit with my list of poisons. :) Thank you so much for sharing! I do love the new ideas, the amazing positive thoughts and the knowledge people share here!

I am guessing you are right on sulfites. When I look at anything on food with that--I seem to question it. Sometimes, it seems our bodies unconciously "tell us" to not eat that--especially when we see it keep popping up on things that may us ill!

More knowledge equals More wisdom! Wisdom means less fear of the "unknown poisons"! :)

Hi LJ,

I just read through this thread, and as a fellow DH sufferer (though mine is MUCH better now), and I saw you mention the cheese rice cakes, my first thought was sulfites. Or MSG (or both). I found that both of those things cause me problems.

Here are some links that may help for either of those, and some ingredients are actually on both lists:
For sulfites:
http://holdthesulfites.com/
http://www.readingta...com/nosulfites/

For MSG:
http://www.msgmyth.c...dden_names.html
http://www.msgtruth.com/

Now for what I have figured out I can eat, and I just tested quinoa a few days ago, and it didn't cause problems with my ears (one of the areas I get symptoms), but I did get a bit itchy behind my knees, so I have it on the 'probably ok' list. Another thing I've added recently that's on the 'probably ok' list is blanched almond flour.

The things that I know are o.k. for me are:
* Foster farms chicken
* Natural beef (in the case of beef, 'natural' makes a difference....) though I've had regular hamburgers a couple of times at my brother's house over the past summer and seemed to be fine with that. When I buy it for myself, it's the 'natural' stuff.
* Sweet potatoes
* green beans (fresh and frozen)
* peas (frozen)
* pumpkin (can - Santiam brand is the only one I've tried, only ingredient is pumpkin)
* rice and rice noodles (white rice, noodles and rice flour in particular, I mix in brown rice and/or brown rice flour a lot of the time)
* grapefruit (I almost never used to eat this, but I had a craving for it a couple of weeks ago, and after testing I'm fine with it.)
* red rose tea
* eggs ( I try to get organic)
* organic corn tortillas (I've reacted to most tortilla chips, even the organic ones, so I create my own using the fresh organic tortillas and ex light olive oil)
* honey from a local farmers market
* maple syrup (I'm pretty sure, it's been a few weeks since I've had some...)
* navy beans, great northern beans, split peas
* C&H pure cane sugar
* Pamela's mini ginger snaps cookies
* plain yogurt, add my own applesauce & honey / sugar and not something I eat regularly. I also use it in baking sometimes as an acid with baking soda.
* apples (red and golden delicious both seem fine, haven't tested many other varieties yet)
* Challenge or Tillamook butter. (I recently tried Darigold butter because it cost a bit less, and reacted badly to it, a sulfite reaction with my ears getting waxy & blocked)
* Danish havarti cheese (on occasion)
* Lundberg brown rice cakes (I can usually only find the unsalted)
* yellow onion
* Applegate hot dogs (the great American hot dog I think they call it?)
* Sake (rice wine, only occasionally)
* carrots (usually get fresh organic)
* patty pan squash and zucchini (fm farmers market)

For baking, I use rice flour, and baking soda w/ vinegar or yogurt, and avoid the starches. It's a bit challenging, and I'm still working on it. I use guar gum (Now foods) and sometimes psyllium husk powder. I have some other things to test, but for the most part the above things work for me.

#30 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi bartfull!

In my brief time here, I find that everyone seems to be able to contribute! The support, ideas, and "technical information" is truly amazing here! I am guessing that I will be checking out the chat/blog--sounds like a fun and interesting site. I am also guessing I'll find you there! :) Thanks for the Welcome! :D

L.J., I haven't responded to you yet because I don't have DH (Thank God!) and didn't feel I had anything to contribute. But I just wanted to say hello and to let you know that your personality shines through and that you seem to be one heck of a great person. I wish you all the best! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: