#31 L.J.

L.J.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hey G Fin,

I just wanted to tell you why I have that nickname for you. During my first posts, I felt like I was dying a slow, miserable death. :( Then you posted, and ever since, I think of you as G Fin...because the fins on a fish give them air to breathe. Which is what I got on this site. A breath of fresh air. The fin of a fish also guides them--and when I felt lost in the mire--I needed guidance! :) Just thought I would let you know!

Yes, the low iodine seems to be helping--Soooooooooo quickly! One more day of Bliss!

As always, thanks for your post! Have a fartingly beautiful day! :D

Hi L. J,

Sounds like good thinking there, we can eat lots of other things besides gluten. The tricky thing is they put gluten in many processed foods you wouldn't nessecarily expect it to be in. So it is easier to avoid the processed foods to start. After a while your ability to eat some foods may improve, usually a good length of time to wait is about 6 months before trialing a problem food. At eh beginning when your digestive system is out of whack from celiac damage, many foods may cause reactions. But as it heals they may not be a problem. Then again they may stay problems too, it is hard to tell until we trial them.

That's sound like an improvement with the blisters. A low iodine diet is supposed to help with the DH blisters / rash. Low iodine and gluten free are a good combo for you it seems. This Livestrong article has a short list of foods with high iodine. You might want to avoid those while your blisters are happening.

List of Foods Rich in Iodine Ma

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Thanks L. J. it's nice to be compared to a fish! :D I think? Ha Ha. Well, good to hear you are doing better. If you really want to see how the people around here's minds work, you can check out the funny pages thread. Although it might be a little scary too! Most of the people in the funny pages don't know how to tipe or spiel wright or someting. They all seem to know how to drink real well tho.

Rice cakes are ok if they are gluten-free, but Quaker rice cakes have kind of an iffy reputation for celiacs. Lundberg is probably a better one to get. I don't know what brand you have of course.

If you want some chips, look for Food Should Taste Good brand sweet potato chips or olive chips. Corn Thins are another alternative and are similar to rice cakes but thinner. Hence the "Thin" in the name. They are about 1/2 or less a thick as rice cakes. They are made in Australia in a dedicated gluten-free facility and shipped to other countries. You might find they are upside down on the shelf. :o :( But that doesn't affect the flavor.. :)

Corn Thins site

FSTG chips site

The Funny Pages on c.com
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#33 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

GeeEff. I do not walk on my head when in Nevada :blink: :rolleyes: I just keep forgetting which coast I'm near and where the sun should be :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#34 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

GeeEff. I do not walk on my head when in Nevada :blink: :rolleyes: I just keep forgetting which coast I'm near and where the sun should be :D

Ha ha, Shroomie, that's good, I can help! The sun should be above your head, not down by your feet. You are just looking in the wrong direction! Not surprising tho, it is easy to get cornfused when moving around like that. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#35 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

As an aussie, I'm wondering if I should be offended.... although I can't be offended because I'm too busy missing my rice thins
:-( When I left Aus 2.5 years ago it was pre-diagnosis, so I was eating rice thins because they had really good flavours and healthier than potato chips. And of course I wasn't paying much attention to the gluten-free factor, but now I'm wondering...are the flavoured ones gluten free as well? Because that would be awesome. I used to have sundried tomato and the sour cream and onion a lot!.
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#36 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

As an aussie, I'm wondering if I should be offended.... although I can't be offended because I'm too busy missing my rice thins
:-( When I left Aus 2.5 years ago it was pre-diagnosis, so I was eating rice thins because they had really good flavours and healthier than potato chips. And of course I wasn't paying much attention to the gluten-free factor, but now I'm wondering...are the flavoured ones gluten free as well? Because that would be awesome. I used to have sundried tomato and the sour cream and onion a lot!.

p.s I'm totally joking about the offeneded thing

#37 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Ha ha, Shroomie, that's good, I can help! The sun should be above your head, not down by your feet. You are just looking in the wrong direction! Not surprising tho, it is easy to get cornfused when moving around like that. :)

Yah, and it's easy to ferget which side of the road you should be on when you're equally comfortable with both (NOTE: driver and turn signal always in middle of the road!!!) but still, watch out :ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#38 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

Ugh and Itshay!... :( Bad :(

I had a good day. Just a few outbreaks on my skin after eating avocado. Came home, had dinner. One hamburger plain patty with avocado on the side.

Itshay again... :( I went into the bathroom--I wasn't feeling well. It was within 30 minutes of eating. I was sweating profusely all over my body. I thought "this is weird". Then I don't remember...my husband came in because I had been gone so long. I had passed out He was able to "get me moved" to a chair--but I was sweating, couldn't breathe. Gasping. Couldn't talk. I remember but was very "out of it". He said, you are having an Anaphelectic Reaction...gave me instant Benadryl--It was difficult to swallow, but my throat was still open some...He said we would call 911 if I didn't improve soon...very soon...:( He then poured a Benedryl capsule into a small amount of water and I sipped it between gasping for air. I became slowly more "aware of my surroundings"... after awhile, could talk some. :) I stabilized in awhile, but time is fuzzy for me. Then, I went into the shivers--they lasted for what seemed a long time. In Phoenix, it's still warm, and I was shivering like it was 20 degrees. I did not understand this. He said my body was probably going into some "shock"...:( Finally, I quit shivering. I was able to breathe better. My throat loosened and I was able to "drink water" better...:) This morning, he said my lips were blue (last night) and I was white as a ghost! (Not Halloween yet tho :) I still have to find some humor somewhere.... I have eaten avocado before even on gluten-free diet. I have had anaphelatic reaction to walnuts--but it was not this bad. I have not passed out before. But I am crying--but I don't know the icon for that... So no avocados are on the NO EAT list...

Itshay! again. My doctors are closed today. (What would they do except get mad that I did not call 911?) My husband has a medical background, so I'm fine without calling--once I was more stable. I will be getting an epi pen. I need one.

G Fin--you will be quite interested to know that even in a passed out state--a person continues to fart... :)

So, question???? Very basic really...Reactions to gluten are allergy based? Yes?

#39 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Might one say that GFin is a "farty-pants"? :lol: (Now where is that emoticon that shows someone running away?)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#40 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

No, gluten reactions are auto-immune based. HOWEVER, it is possible to be celiac and allergic to avocado :unsure:
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#41 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Might one say that GFin is a "farty-pants"? :lol: (Now where is that emoticon that shows someone running away?)

Bartfull,
Please don't run away! Do you have anything just anything to say to help me get more grounded?

OK, GFin is a "farty-pants"...last night I think I fit that description too though! :)

#42 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Well, I just looked up avocado AND walnut allergy and found this: http://www.beyondall...s-reactions.php

I am not familiar with this site so I'm not sure how reliable their info is, but it seems there are two types of allergies to avocado, and one of them makes nut allergies more likely.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#43 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

L.J - I'm so sorry about your experience. That sounds intense. Yay for helpful husbands. I wanted to add that if your rash/spots are DH, the timing of their appearance is not directly related to when you have eaten. There is much variation on the time lag between eating something 'bad' and spots appearing, if there is any correlation at all. For those that are well accustomed, they can see a new patch appear and know that they got glutened 3 hours ago (or 3 days or whatever it is for them.) But the confusing factor is that DH can show up whenever it feels like it, regardless of ingestion. This is why it can take months or even years to heal, even if someone is completely gluten free. Spots will appear while Iga is still present on our blood and apparently it can take ages to clear.
Anyway, I guess my point is, that if you get spots it might not necessarily be because you are reacting to the thing you ate last. I'm hoping that you can expand your safe list, if the reason you are ruling some things out is because spots appeared after eating them.

#44 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

No, gluten reactions are auto-immune based. HOWEVER, it is possible to be celiac and allergic to avocado :unsure:

Hi Mushroom!

I think I just need to get a little "grounded" today... Thank you for responding. I don't know if I am auto-immune--but I know my body seems be reacting to a lot of things. In severe ways... I think that is an understatement regarding last night :blink:

#45 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Well, I just looked up avocado AND walnut allergy and found this: http://www.beyondall...s-reactions.php

I am not familiar with this site so I'm not sure how reliable their info is, but it seems there are two types of allergies to avocado, and one of them makes nut allergies more likely.

Hey Bartfull,

Interesting that they are related, eh? Thanks for not running away! :D

Also, thanks for looking up the site. I won't go into it right now...I believe what you found! :)

So, on a lighter note--what is Bartfull ?? Just curious--I have just been wondering :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: