This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed with Questions

L.J.

L.J. Rookie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (eventually) :ph34r:

Ohhh Mushroom,

So true. I am stronger. I am still fighting the dragon--more than I knew. But I am stronger...and I found out (through my daughter who is an RN in cardiac ICU) oh, now I feel really old :)

I found out that if there is an allergy to latex, then there is probably an allergy to bananas and avocados. :) Guess what I have been eating every day for two weeks??? <_<

So, my doc has me on the epi-pen for emergencies...(I hope there are no more times of emergencies)...with the addition of calling 911. :( I really do not like that idea-but I respect the request...(Plus I have heard it from two other people as well). What does a person do when in anaphalytic reactions? Nothing...that person is to out of it... ugh, :( itshay.

I am feeling better than this am, I am thinking clearer (so I am told)--and feeling more grounded...

Thanks for the reminder of being stronger... :D

With knowledge, comes wisdom, With wisdom comes Strength! My mantra for today! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
L.J. Rookie

Bart was my dog. When he was bad I called him Bartless. When he was good I called him Bartfull. A lot of folks here mistook me for a man named Bart at first. I almost changed my name to "Bart's Mom", but then they would have thought I had a son with celiac. Let's just say I like to keep people as confused as I am! :blink::lol:

Hi bartfull!

I *knew* there had to be a funny story behind your name! LOL :D Mystery (and confusion) is the way of life it seems! We can relish it--or be scared!

I prefer relishing the confusion and accept the unexpected! :D:)

squirmingitch Veteran

Sorry for being AWOL but something arose which required all of our wits to deal with. It's still ongoing so I may go AWOL again at times.

Well, L.J.! Looks like you are on the path to healing. I love your attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smile.gif I've been enjoying all the posts on this thread. Witty repartee.

So, okay, no desire to relentlessly pursue an official dx. Tee-rific! Then no more worries about the can & can nots of all that junk.

Wow on the avocado thing. I'm so sorry you had that reaction & soooooo glad your hubs was around & decided to check on you. Close call that.

I'm also surprised about the whole avocado, banana, walnut, mango, latex etc.... thing. Who'da thunk it?

Okay, I have lots of catching up to do on lots of things. Until later.....

Cheerio!tongue.gif

L.J. Rookie

Sorry for being AWOL but something arose which required all of our wits to deal with. It's still ongoing so I may go AWOL again at times.

Well, L.J.! Looks like you are on the path to healing. I love your attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smile.gif I've been enjoying all the posts on this thread. Witty repartee.

So, okay, no desire to relentlessly pursue an official dx. Tee-rific! Then no more worries about the can & can nots of all that junk.

Wow on the avocado thing. I'm so sorry you had that reaction & soooooo glad your hubs was around & decided to check on you. Close call that.

I'm also surprised about the whole avocado, banana, walnut, mango, latex etc.... thing. Who'da thunk it?

Okay, I have lots of catching up to do on lots of things. Until later.....

Cheerio!tongue.gif

Well Squirmy, (In my mind I call you Compassionate Squirmy--seems to fit you well) :D

Yes, the avodado thing pretty well messed my mind up.. Foggy...

But better every hour!

Please do what you need to do...I appreciate your feedback, info, and of course, your compassion! Hugs to you! (((((((((Squirmy)))))))))

Just in case you need a few! :D Cheerio (Don't you just love it from Squirmmy?) :)

L.J. Rookie

Hi G Fin,

Yes, fish are wonderful! Please consider it a compliment!

I am sure that you don't have time to reply to everyone or keep track--this is a *very* busy site! An update--I had an Anaphylactic Reaction Thurs. pm. Bad one. :( Won't go into the details, but, (I mentioned it to Bartfull) that I thought you would be especially interested to know that even when a person is passed out--they keep farting! :D We both agreed that you and me (after finding that info out) are officially "farty pants"... :D:P

Also, thanks for the info on Rice Cakes. I will look for Lundberg--the name is familiar, so I am betting I have seen them.

I also checked out the funny pages thread! LOL The funny things they yak about just made me laugh yesterday! Just what I needed to help my very froggy head!

As always, Your humor is part of your "magic" in posts! :D

Thanks L. J. it's nice to be compared to a fish! :D I think? Ha Ha. Well, good to hear you are doing better. If you really want to see how the people around here's minds work, you can check out the funny pages thread. Although it might be a little scary too! Most of the people in the funny pages don't know how to tipe or spiel wright or someting. They all seem to know how to drink real well tho.

Rice cakes are ok if they are gluten-free, but Quaker rice cakes have kind of an iffy reputation for celiacs. Lundberg is probably a better one to get. I don't know what brand you have of course.

If you want some chips, look for Food Should Taste Good brand sweet potato chips or olive chips. Corn Thins are another alternative and are similar to rice cakes but thinner. Hence the "Thin" in the name. They are about 1/2 or less a thick as rice cakes. They are made in Australia in a dedicated gluten-free facility and shipped to other countries. You might find they are upside down on the shelf. :o:( But that doesn't affect the flavor.. :)

Open Original Shared Link

The Funny Pages on c.com

GFinDC Veteran

Wow L.J, you sure know who to make eating avcadoes exciting! That was a big deal for sure. Good thing you had hubs to drag you off your throne and plant you back in reality. Farty-pants it is then, but I may have to reverse that. My initials are PF, so FP is just PF backwards. K, hold your nose, here it comes! :ph34r::D You and Bartfull are safe though, mainly because you are far away. :) That weird emoticon is used for lots of different things, it's kind of a fill in for any need emoticon.

So, lets see, were you eating bananas all week? They sure are good aren't they? :) Hmm, I was wondering how you were doing so now I know. The Bendryl seems like a good idea to keep handy. You know it almost sounds like you should try an elimination diet. One way to one is to start with 5 foods that you think are safe for you. Eat those for 2 weeks or until your symptoms decrease. Then add one food for a week and see how you do. I've heard of birch allergy and seems it is related to celery also.

Well, here is a list of some possible allergy cross-reactive foods. Allergies are IgE reactions, and some people react to more than one food in a group. Several people have reported that their allergy type symptoms decreased after being gluten-free for a while. Others report that their allergies stay the same or get worse. So it is a mixed bag on how things might go in that department. My own allergies got much less severe after being gluten-free a while. I used to buy antihistamines once a week but don't buy them more than once a or twice a year now. And seldom use them. Mine was hayfever though, not foods. Unless my grapes thing is an allergy reaction,. I am not sure on that. Oh goodie, look it there. Mayo didn't list avcadoes so you must not have a problem with them! :D

well,the Mayo listing doesn't post correctly so you will need to hit their site to see it. It is a little table of foods that may cause reactions.

If you are allergic toBirch pollenRagweed pollenGrassesMugwort pollen You may also have a reaction to: Apples

Carrots

Celery

Hazelnuts

Peaches

Pears

Raw potatoes Bananas

Melons

(cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon) Tomatoes

Tomatoes Apples

Carrots

Celery

Kiwi fruit

Peanuts

Some spices (caraway seeds, parsley, coriander, anise seeds, fennel seeds)

GottaSki Mentor

Hi LJ-

I had a very scary anaphylactic reaction to sesame seeds while challenging them on a full elimination diet. Very similar to your experience - my doc also prescribed epi-pens which I carry everywhere. Thankfully I have not had to use them yet, but as these reactions can worsen it is far better to be safe than sorry.

What may be of interest to you is after the incident and some other serious reactions during my elimination diet I had full allergy blood and scratch tests run - again - have had them a few times in my life. All food allergies were negative - again. So if you have any doubt that you can have a very serious anaphylactic reaction from food intolerance - don't it is very real and should never be dismissed.

Also of note...I lost avocado very early into my elimination diet - I hadn't removed avocado as possible problem. Had avo slices on a salad and my stomach bloated up - within an hour I looked 9 months pregnant - crazy. I trial foods I have lost at six month intervals - except I will never eat seeds again because of the anaphylaxis - anyway have trialed avocados twice and still can't eat them - I really miss guacamole!

I'm going to PM you the food log entry I had from sesame seeds...don't want to post it here and hijack your thread from something that happened quite awhile ago.

Glad your doc ordered you epi-pens - hope you never have to use them :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

L.J. Rookie

Hey PF :D

Uhhhh, I thank you for this list--But these are most of what I considered my "safe" foods. Just finished eating a pear! :rolleyes::unsure: Seriously, these are *all* on my almost daily eating list...I am not sure what to do with that! After thinking bananas were "very safe" only to find out they feed into the avocado allergy thing!

Ugh! I'll keep looking!

Today? I am exhausted. Slept, ate egg whites and gluten-free bread, Slept, ate a pear...Froggy minded still (rivvet, rivvet or croak croak) What sound does a frog make anyway? :D

The great news is when I looked in my cupboard, guess what I found in a new package? Lundberg rice Cakes-unflavored! Hooray!!!! Out with Quaker-in with Lundberg! :D

Are you doing well? I know you give tons of energy to us here, so I wanted to ask about you? Should you care to share! ;)

Wow L.J, you sure know who to make eating avcadoes exciting! That was a big deal for sure. Good thing you had hubs to drag you off your throne and plant you back in reality. Farty-pants it is then, but I may have to reverse that. My initials are PF, so FP is just PF backwards. K, hold your nose, here it comes! :ph34r::D You and Bartfull are safe though, mainly because you are far away. :) That weird emoticon is used for lots of different things, it's kind of a fill in for any need emoticon.

So, lets see, were you eating bananas all week? They sure are good aren't they? :) Hmm, I was wondering how you were doing so now I know. The Bendryl seems like a good idea to keep handy. You know it almost sounds like you should try an elimination diet. One way to one is to start with 5 foods that you think are safe for you. Eat those for 2 weeks or until your symptoms decrease. Then add one food for a week and see how you do. I've heard of birch allergy and seems it is related to celery also.

Well, here is a list of some possible allergy cross-reactive foods. Allergies are IgE reactions, and some people react to more than one food in a group. Several people have reported that their allergy type symptoms decreased after being gluten-free for a while. Others report that their allergies stay the same or get worse. So it is a mixed bag on how things might go in that department. My own allergies got much less severe after being gluten-free a while. I used to buy antihistamines once a week but don't buy them more than once a or twice a year now. And seldom use them. Mine was hayfever though, not foods. Unless my grapes thing is an allergy reaction,. I am not sure on that. Oh goodie, look it there. Mayo didn't list avcadoes so you must not have a problem with them! :D

well,the Mayo listing doesn't post correctly so you will need to hit their site to see it. It is a little table of foods that may cause reactions.

If you are allergic toBirch pollenRagweed pollenGrassesMugwort pollen You may also have a reaction to: Apples

Carrots

Celery

Hazelnuts

Peaches

Pears

Raw potatoes Bananas

Melons

(cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon) Tomatoes

Tomatoes Apples

Carrots

Celery

Kiwi fruit

Peanuts

Some spices (caraway seeds, parsley, coriander, anise seeds, fennel seeds)

L.J. Rookie

I am scared to eat sesame seeds myself...rather, I should say that when I have tried them, I seem to react! So I am very leery of them!

Thanks for the sharing of info--Anaphylactic pretty much has taken it out of me--I am still feeling exhausted! Froggy headed! And honestly, I have not driven--I truly do not think I am able to think well right now!

Thanks for sharing your experience! And no sesame seeds or avocados, right? :D

Hi LJ-

I had a very scary anaphylactic reaction to sesame seeds while challenging them on a full elimination diet. Very similar to your experience - my doc also prescribed epi-pens which I carry everywhere. Thankfully I have not had to use them yet, but as these reactions can worsen it is far better to be safe than sorry.

What may be of interest to you is after the incident and some other serious reactions during my elimination diet I had full allergy blood and scratch tests run - again - have had them a few times in my life. All food allergies were negative - again. So if you have any doubt that you can have a very serious anaphylactic reaction from food intolerance - don't it is very real and should never be dismissed.

Also of note...I lost avocado very early into my elimination diet - I hadn't removed avocado as possible problem. Had avo slices on a salad and my stomach bloated up - within an hour I looked 9 months pregnant - crazy. I trial foods I have lost at six month intervals - except I will never eat seeds again because of the anaphylaxis - anyway have trialed avocados twice and still can't eat them - I really miss guacamole!

I'm going to PM you the food log entry I had from sesame seeds...don't want to post it here and hijack your thread from something that happened quite awhile ago.

Glad your doc ordered you epi-pens - hope you never have to use them :)

L.J. Rookie

Actually PF, the whole list is *not* on my safe list--only half of them are...the other half are on my "no" list...Makes me wonder about the half I think are safe. But, I will see...

One question, (seems simple...but I am a bit fearful of trying new foods still)???

I have been wanting to try some pure cherry jam on a Rice Cake--Lundberg now! :D

I know you said avoid sweets--but I rarely eat them--do you think cherry jam is a good idea to try so quick??? (I read this, and I think, "Oh, L.J., you really are lame!" :D But that's where I am right now... :P

Hey PF :D

Uhhhh, I thank you for this list--But these are most of what I considered my "safe" foods. Just finished eating a pear! :rolleyes::unsure: Seriously, these are *all* on my almost daily eating list...I am not sure what to do with that! After thinking bananas were "very safe" only to find out they feed into the avocado allergy thing!

Ugh! I'll keep looking!

Today? I am exhausted. Slept, ate egg whites and gluten-free bread, Slept, ate a pear...Froggy minded still (rivvet, rivvet or croak croak) What sound does a frog make anyway? :D

The great news is when I looked in my cupboard, guess what I found in a new package? Lundberg rice Cakes-unflavored! Hooray!!!! Out with Quaker-in with Lundberg! :D

Are you doing well? I know you give tons of energy to us here, so I wanted to ask about you? Should you care to share! ;)

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Hi LJ!

I dont have any experience with the DH (although I do have a suspicious growing rash on my fingers, but no blisters) but I wanted to reach out and lend some support. It sounds like you're going through such a tough time but you are getting fantastic advice from others on here who definitely know what they are talking about. I think we all have that initial panic episode where we are terrified to eat - I know I had it. The best advice I have was the advice that was given to me on here - whole foods, no processed foods - stick to the perimeter of the food store. Drink a lot of water and if you have it available to you, grass-fed meats were a god-send to me and are so much easier to digest in our damaged guts. While it might be hard to envision now, it WILL get better with time and obviously gluten free foods. Ask any questions you want and dont be afraid to give details - I think this is the only place where I feel completely free to discuss my bowels without a second thought! Best wishes to you!

L.J. Rookie

Hi LauraB0927!

Hmmm, a growing rash on your fingers sounds *very* familiar in a "not so great way" :(

For me, it started with a rash on my legs--and then a rash on my fingers. After awhile, the "rash" exploded into the blisters. Just something for you to be aware of maybe?

Thank you for your encouragement! Isn't it great that we can talk about "bowel issues" freely and without fear here? It is truly a gift to have found this amazing and supportive site! Thanks for your words of advice! :D

Hi LJ!

I dont have any experience with the DH (although I do have a suspicious growing rash on my fingers, but no blisters) but I wanted to reach out and lend some support. It sounds like you're going through such a tough time but you are getting fantastic advice from others on here who definitely know what they are talking about. I think we all have that initial panic episode where we are terrified to eat - I know I had it. The best advice I have was the advice that was given to me on here - whole foods, no processed foods - stick to the perimeter of the food store. Drink a lot of water and if you have it available to you, grass-fed meats were a god-send to me and are so much easier to digest in our damaged guts. While it might be hard to envision now, it WILL get better with time and obviously gluten free foods. Ask any questions you want and dont be afraid to give details - I think this is the only place where I feel completely free to discuss my bowels without a second thought! Best wishes to you!

GFinDC Veteran

Actually PF, the whole list is *not* on my safe list--only half of them are...the other half are on my "no" list...Makes me wonder about the half I think are safe. But, I will see...

One question, (seems simple...but I am a bit fearful of trying new foods still)???

I have been wanting to try some pure cherry jam on a Rice Cake--Lundberg now! :D

I know you said avoid sweets--but I rarely eat them--do you think cherry jam is a good idea to try so quick??? (I read this, and I think, "Oh, L.J., you really are lame!" :D But that's where I am right now... :P

Hi L.J.,

You can try anything you want of course. The reason I suggest to people to avoid sugar and carbs at first is because the bacteria in our guts can get kind of out of control with the celiac damage and poor digestion issues. That bacterial overgrowth party often leads to bloating and D. Not fun stuff with a damaged gut that is irritated and hurting.

How about some organic or natural peanut butter with the rice cakes? Or some diabetic version jams? They have those in many stores now. They usually have low or no sugar and some kind of alternative sweetner. Stevia is a natural sweetner you could try, it works for some people but others find it has an aftertaste.

If you aren't having issues with bloating and gas and D you may not need to restrict sugar. The other tricky thing about sugar is it tends to make people have high energy for a while and then crash. That isn't good when you are already fighting fatigue. Coffee and caffeine do the same thing of course. But everyone has their own reactions to foods and what bothers one person may not bother another at all. The only way to know seems to be trying an elimination for a while. Sometimes when people are starting on the gluten-free diet they have reactions to just about everything they eat. But later those food reactions may taper off or disappear when the gut is somewhat healed.

Thanks for asking about my situation. I am doing fine right now. This year was a big turning point for me as far as improvement in health goes. I feel better than in the last 4.5 years since going gluten-free. I still have minor issues here and there but nothing too major or long lasting. It seems when I stray off the whole foods diet I get into problems. I ate some summer sausage not long ago and my feet and legs swelled up pretty bad from that. Probably the nitrates or nitrites in it did that. Guess I can do with out that stuff tho, no problem. :)

I am having some intermittent network issues so may be slow to respond. By the way, did you look at the Mayo clinic site link for the whole table of cross reactive foods? I could only post part of the table on the forum.

squirmingitch Veteran

L.J., I have read here that a lot of people went on the failsafe diet in the beginning b/c of food issues they were having similar to yours. You may want to consider it. Here's a link:

L.J. Rookie

Hi FP!

Good to know you are feeling better!!! I am beginning to recuperate from my little avocado spree! :) That adventure kicked my arse...I am still taking naps (which I normally don't do) as well as going to bed early. Oh, what an exciting life I live right now! :)

I am on the no gluten, no peanut, no tomotao, and no salt cleansing "eating plan"--The salt was associated with triggering rashes--Thanks to Squirmy, she found the article--and I added it to my eating plan.

The Good News: I *truly* am having fewer rashes--it has been about 2 1/2 days and the rash is less--with (Oh how I say this so quietly :) no new ones in 24 hours. Yay! :D

The Bad News: I cannot get enough calories. I also cannot afford to lose my weight. Any advice with this?

I have to run... I will look forwar to your thoughts--and as always--anyone's thoughts who read this!! :D

Found a few minutes--I have not looked at the Mayo site for cross contamination. I will, but I am most concerned about feeling starved! It is truly because I am not getting enough calories. I have to find a way to add more. While maintaining my "healthy eating" that is pretty restrictive right now!

I like the Diabetic's Jelly & have heard great things about Stevia. He d. is much better--even tried "some probiotics"...and no d.! My body is reacting well to the healthy nonpoisonous foods! :D:)

Just starving...:(

Hi L.J.,

You can try anything you want of course. The reason I suggest to people to avoid sugar and carbs at first is because the bacteria in our guts can get kind of out of control with the celiac damage and poor digestion issues. That bacterial overgrowth party often leads to bloating and D. Not fun stuff with a damaged gut that is irritated and hurting.

How about some organic or natural peanut butter with the rice cakes? Or some diabetic version jams? They have those in many stores now. They usually have low or no sugar and some kind of alternative sweetner. Stevia is a natural sweetner you could try, it works for some people but others find it has an aftertaste.

If you aren't having issues with bloating and gas and D you may not need to restrict sugar. The other tricky thing about sugar is it tends to make people have high energy for a while and then crash. That isn't good when you are already fighting fatigue. Coffee and caffeine do the same thing of course. But everyone has their own reactions to foods and what bothers one person may not bother another at all. The only way to know seems to be trying an elimination for a while. Sometimes when people are starting on the gluten-free diet they have reactions to just about everything they eat. But later those food reactions may taper off or disappear when the gut is somewhat healed.

Thanks for asking about my situation. I am doing fine right now. This year was a big turning point for me as far as improvement in health goes. I feel better than in the last 4.5 years since going gluten-free. I still have minor issues here and there but nothing too major or long lasting. It seems when I stray off the whole foods diet I get into problems. I ate some summer sausage not long ago and my feet and legs swelled up pretty bad from that. Probably the nitrates or nitrites in it did that. Guess I can do with out that stuff tho, no problem. :)

I am having some intermittent network issues so may be slow to respond. By the way, did you look at the Mayo clinic site link for the whole table of cross reactive foods? I could only post part of the table on the forum.

L.J. Rookie

Hi Squirmy!

I am sticking with the one that is no salt, etc...My rash is better (said quietly)--and no d. I am truly going to try to for the two weeks...it is hard in that I need more calories, literally. I mentioned it to GFin, but I am seriously low on calories with no need to lose more weight. I am as low as I want to go. The low salt etc. food plan is helping! But, do you have any suggestions for more calories?

P.S. Thanks for finding that article--salt does seem to trigger the rashes. 24 hours--NO rashes that are new. :):D

L.J., I have read here that a lot of people went on the failsafe diet in the beginning b/c of food issues they were having similar to yours. You may want to consider it. Here's a link:

GottaSki Mentor

I am on the no gluten, no peanut, no tomotao, and no salt cleansing "eating plan"

I cannot get enough calories. I also cannot afford to lose my weight. Any advice with this?

When suggesting how to increase calories, I generally start with add healthy fats...like avocado - so I'll amend that a bit:

Can you eat nuts? Cashews, Pistachios, Almonds?

Coconut Oil - easy to add to many foods - when I'm low in calorie totals - quite often with my limited diet - I use a bit extra in my vegies and other foods.

Carbs - Potato, Sweet Potato, Rice, gluten-free Pasta

Goodies - gluten-free pancakes, waffles, cake, cookies, muffins and brownies :D - think you may be avoiding sugar, but if you don't need to avoid sweets - eat a few brownies for me ;)

I think I stuck to the "no" list you mentioned - there may be some of these you don't tolerate - hope not.

L.J. Rookie

When suggesting how to increase calories, I generally start with add healthy fats...like avocado - so I'll amend that a bit:

Can you eat nuts? Cashews, Pistachios, Almonds?

Coconut Oil - easy to add to many foods - when I'm low in calorie totals - quite often with my limited diet - I use a bit extra in my vegies and other foods.

Carbs - Potato, Sweet Potato, Rice, gluten-free Pasta

Goodies - gluten-free pancakes, waffles, cake, cookies, muffins and brownies :D - think you may be avoiding sugar, but if you don't need to avoid sweets - eat a few brownies for me ;)

I think I stuck to the "no" list you mentioned - there may be some of these you don't tolerate - hope not.

Hi GottaSki,

Good idea with the potatoes...I have not "tried sweet potatoes"--it is one of the foods I want to add first. I think I can eat white potatoes--definitely eating rice. I cannot eat any cashew, nuts, almonds, or chocolate. etc. I have been trying to avoid sweets for two weeks (at this point--1 week and 2-3 days to go! Then I will be more free to eat more things. But focusing today on rice and may add a potatoe (the low iodine diet I am using says no skin of the potatoe) ... But--I love potatoes...And need more calories. Believe it or not, I have not tried the gluten-free Pasta! It has been a hectic week...and I am not sure what I would put on it. (No tomatoes, No milk/cheese)... I am hoping and feeling positive that once my body mellows out--I will be able to add some more food...More Potatoes & Rice Yummmy :) More food! Yummmy :D

squirmingitch Veteran

No coconut oil ---- iodine. Sorry. That includes olive oil also. But if you can do cashews then you can also do cashew butter! I have cashew butter spread on either rice cakes or on bread in a bowl every morning.

Here's a recipe for bun in a bowl --- I am copying & pasting with my own notes added on the ingredients. I also make a "white bread" version of it --- if you want that recipe then just pm me.

A woman at our local support group told us about a low-carb "bread" that she makes in the microwave. I tried it and thought it was okay and started to experiment a little. This morning, I hit a really great recipe. My 15 yo DD, who is not gluten-free said it was good and asked for more. It reminded me of whole wheat bread - soft, yet grainy in a good way. I'm planning to make some more of these for sandwich buns.

Here's the recipe:

1 large egg (for low iodine use 2 egg whites & no egg yolk)

2 Tbs. brown rice flour (you can sub white rice flour or sweet white rice flour)

1 Tbs. almond meal (you can sub cashew meal)

1 Tbs. golden flax meal

1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. cocoa powder

shake of salt

Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You'll have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife, but mine came out pretty easily.

I'm using some self-control to wait until lunch time to make another one and create a delicious turkey sandwich.

***************************************************************************************************************************************

The first time I tried this I was so happy to have something that tasted like REAL bread. I sat down on the kitchen floor & stuffed my face! When I finished it, I stood up, made another & gorged myself again. Moaning in ecstasy the entire time.biggrin.gif

Apples with cashew or almond butter on them.

Part of what you're going through is gluten withdrawal. It makes you absolutely RAVENOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Constantly. It lasted for me about 5 weeks. I had to eat every 20 minutes & was hungry in between!laugh.gif

I was down to 97 lbs. before going gluten-free & I'm just under 5'2". I did not lose any weight when I went gluten-free even though I felt like I was going to waste away. Like you, I felt I wasn't getting enough food or calories. Over 10 months now & I've only put on close to 3 lbs. but am feeling better. Healing takes time. Our guts are ravaged. Only when they heal will we see the true results. I don't expect to get back up to my lifelong normal of 103 lbs. for a while. But I know it will happen. My gut still has healing to do. My entire body still has healing to do. My muscles were wasted. They have just begun to show a little progress very recently. It isn' t much progress & others probably wouldn't even notice the difference to look at me but I can see & feel the minute difference.

Your body is going to need more protein now too so up the protein. Have steak for breakfast! Seriously. Have steak, pan fried potatoes (peel those suckers --- iodine in the skin), bun in a bowl with cashew or almond butter on it & egg whites.

Keep fruit around for the in between times.

I'm very glad to hear the rash is (shhhhhhhh) better. And no D is GOOD!

You can also look in your store or order online ---- Enjoy Life cookies. We have tried several of their varieties & they are very good!tongue.gif They are free of the top 8 allergens so they should be safe for you. They are free of gluten, wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish, shellfish, (eeewwwww - who would want a cookie with fish or shellfish in it? laugh.gif) also made without potato, sesame & sulfites.

squirmingitch Veteran

Ah, slow typist that I am; I see you answered the question about nuts before I finished.

Okay, rice then:

Hubs & I make a stir fry. Get saffron threads (pricey but a little goes a long way) & make saffron rice.

I cut up:

celery

snow peas

leeks

cabbage

chicken breast

sometimes I throw in cauliflower or green beans or green peas whatever have you......

Make a big batch up. It's actually better leftover & makes great snacks when nuked. I just had some for snack!

squirmingitch Veteran

Oh! And I will add a few things here. We seem to do better with safflower oil rather than canola oil. And my hubs is so paranoid about iodine that he doesn't even want a baked potato baked with the skin on so we peel them deeply & I then rub safflower oil on them & proceed to bake as a normal baked potato. It works! Instead of butter on rice or potatoes or veggies we drizzle safflower oil.

You can get some ground pork & use that in egg whites in the morning (b/c sausage has so much STUFF in it). Makes the egg whites go down a lot easier.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi FP!

Good to know you are feeling better!!! I am beginning to recuperate from my little avocado spree! :) That adventure kicked my arse...I am still taking naps (which I normally don't do) as well as going to bed early. Oh, what an exciting life I live right now! :)

I am on the no gluten, no peanut, no tomotao, and no salt cleansing "eating plan"--The salt was associated with triggering rashes--Thanks to Squirmy, she found the article--and I added it to my eating plan.

The Good News: I *truly* am having fewer rashes--it has been about 2 1/2 days and the rash is less--with (Oh how I say this so quietly :) no new ones in 24 hours. Yay! :D

The Bad News: I cannot get enough calories. I also cannot afford to lose my weight. Any advice with this?

I have to run... I will look forwar to your thoughts--and as always--anyone's thoughts who read this!! :D

Found a few minutes--I have not looked at the Mayo site for cross contamination. I will, but I am most concerned about feeling starved! It is truly because I am not getting enough calories. I have to find a way to add more. While maintaining my "healthy eating" that is pretty restrictive right now!

I like the Diabetic's Jelly & have heard great things about Stevia. He d. is much better--even tried "some probiotics"...and no d.! My body is reacting well to the healthy nonpoisonous foods! :D:)

Just starving...:(

Hi L. J,

I don't think you need to avoid all salt. It's the iodized salts that are a problem. Those are usually marked with a "iodized" on the label. Sea salt may not be good either, but any other non-iodized salt would be ok, I think. Squirmy or someone with DH would know better than me tho.

How about meats? Can you eat chicken, beef etc? If you can eat them it would probably help to eat some meat with every meal. Quinoa is good for nutrition also if you can tolerate it. Some people like it fine and others don't same as usual with any food around here.

Mushrooms, onions, and green beans may work too, but I am not sure about the iodine levels in them.

How about other beans? Can you do pinto beans or fava beans or black beans? Black beans seem like one of the easiest to digest for me.

Dinner for breakfast is a good idea, I often do that.

Yesterday I ate fava beans with onion and ham and a little rice.

Today I ate BRM Mighty Tastey Hot Cereal with a little cocoa powder, banana chips (sorry out for you), and a bit of sugar. I won't eat something like that again for several days at least tho. Generally I avoid eating carby foods consecutive days.

I drink plain old water. No coffee or tea usually. I may try the nettle tea that is all the rage on the board lately tho. Got to be trendy sometimes after all! :)

squirmingitch Veteran

You can buy non-iodized salt. it says on the label, "this salt does not supply iodine, a necessary nutrient".

bartfull Rising Star

Actually, sea salt doesn't have much if any iodine either. One would think that it does, but I looked it up when I couldn't tolerate white potatoes because I was LOOKING for a source of iodine. I think there was a thread here recently talking about all of the additives in salt, some of which are not good for us. I get pure sea salt at my healthfood store.

squirmingitch Veteran

Actually the thyca low iodine diet says to avoid sea salt. Quote:

"Iodized salt and sea salt and any foods containing iodized salt or sea salt. Non-iodized salt may be used. For example, Kosher salt is okay unless the label says that it is iodized or sea salt.The reason to avoid sea salt is that all products from the ocean tend to be high in iodine.You can usually find plain, non-iodized salt next to the iodized salt at your grocer. Read the label. (One teaspoon of iodized salt has 400 mcg of iodine.)"

Archived