This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed with Questions

L.J.

bartfull Rising Star

I think they assumed, just as I did, that sea salt was high in iodine. Actually they do ADD iodine to some sea salts, just as they do to regular salt, but even the Mayo Clinic says sea salt is low in iodine, as do most other websites I checked.

Open Original Shared Link

I'm not saying you should run out and get some, but if you can find some that is labeled for idodine content and it has low or no iodine, it is probably better for you than the stuff with "anti-clumpong agents".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
L.J. Rookie

I think they assumed, just as I did, that sea salt was high in iodine. Actually they do ADD iodine to some sea salts, just as they do to regular salt, but even the Mayo Clinic says sea salt is low in iodine, as do most other websites I checked.

I'm not saying you should run out and get some, but if you can find some that is labeled for idodine content and it has low or no iodine, it is probably better for you than the stuff with "anti-clumpong agents".

Hey Bartfull!

How are you? Thanks for looking up the info--it is actually confusing, yes?

I have just been wondering how you are? I know you said that you did not have DH/rashes but then I assume you are struggling with the rest of the symptoms...But here, I found out that one can not really assume. We all have different reactions, yet similar symptoms! (That sounds impossible really, but it is true here!) :D

If you would like to share your experience I am open to hearing it...Just know that you might become the third (unofficial member of the "farty club"--it is open to anyone and is totally a fun thing for those who appreciate the bodily gaseous whoppers that surprise us sometimes)--so far there are two of us--G Fin, (who after your astute comment, agreed that FP (farty pants fit him--and myself) :D I really do not even know if you are "stable" or having active daily symptoms still? Or if you are "cheating on eating gluten sometimes", then, I fear I will have to call you Bartless! :D

So let me know how you're doing if you care to! :)

bartfull Rising Star

Hi L.J! Actually for the most part, I couldn't be called a farty-pants. My digestive symptoms are fairly mild. My worst symptoms are psoriasis and insomnia. I also have a lump in my jaw that swells up and become EXTREMELY painful when I get glutened, plus assorted other symptoms like swelling feet and ankles, and extreme grumpiness.

My psoriasis is called palmoplantar pustular. It affects my hands and feet only. It doesn't itch much but it hurts like the dickens, and it makes it tough to play my guitar or banjo. That would be sad for me anyway, but it is also how I make my living so it is really important that I stay away from all of the foods (the many MANY foods) that cause a flare. I would never never cheat, but I keep getting hit anyway.

For example, I am having a flare right now and my jaw is killing me as well as my hands and feet. It was all because I took communion a little over a week ago. The pastor said I could bring my own bread and "wine" seeing I am celiac and also sensitive to grapes. I brought a little chunk of Udi's, and I took a very small vitamin bottle full of plain water. I have yet to find a vitamin I can tolerate. I washed the bottle really well in hot water, but I fear that the "cardboard" inside the cap still held some of the offending substance.

So here I am with pustules all over my hands and feet and a jaw that make me look like a hamster. OW!

But what do you do? You keep on smiling, working, visiting with friends, and posting here. Eventually it'll get better. And tonight is my "night off". I run a music store and give lots of lessons, but I take Tuesdays off from lessons and just run the store. I can go home at 6 tonight and listen to the debate on the radio. Then I will read for a while and then off to bed. Tomorrow will be a good day, whether I am better or not. :)

L.J. Rookie

Hi bartfull!

Ugh. Pain can beat us down quick, eh? The postules sound miseraable. Especially hard when you find it difficult to play your guitar and banjo. Wish we had a way to record you to hear some of you tunes...(on a better day, of course)! I would bet the banjo is singing loud and fast when you on a high note of a day! :D

I am sure you have tried everything for your jaw...Does ice feel worse -- better -- no affect at all?

Sorry about the "cheating comment"...I think I just wanted to write Bartless one time:) But, *You are Not* so accept my cheating apology, and I want you to know that my positive thoughts are with you--(especially for your swollen ankles, hands & jaw)... I hope you are able to sleep some tonight!

For me, I am an instructor at a college. Right now, it is a difficult schedule because we offer (on occasion-night classes). Guess where we are now? So AM, I am there for classes, usually with a break in the afternoon when I come home, let my 2 Golden Retrievers Out (woof woof)and care for my 3 cats (two of which are old and need extra TLC). And this week, I rest for a bit. Then, I go *back* and instruct a couple more classes this evening. But only two more weeks (counting this week) and I have a break! End of the semester :):D and one more emoticon for dancing! (This Definitely needs to get added, yes????)

Try to have a nice, relaxing evening! Heal, and know tomorrow will probably be a bit better, yes? Talk soon! :D

Hi L.J! Actually for the most part, I couldn't be called a farty-pants. My digestive symptoms are fairly mild. My worst symptoms are psoriasis and insomnia. I also have a lump in my jaw that swells up and become EXTREMELY painful when I get glutened, plus assorted other symptoms like swelling feet and ankles, and extreme grumpiness.

My psoriasis is called palmoplantar pustular. It affects my hands and feet only. It doesn't itch much but it hurts like the dickens, and it makes it tough to play my guitar or banjo. That would be sad for me anyway, but it is also how I make my living so it is really important that I stay away from all of the foods (the many MANY foods) that cause a flare. I would never never cheat, but I keep getting hit anyway.

For example, I am having a flare right now and my jaw is killing me as well as my hands and feet. It was all because I took communion a little over a week ago. The pastor said I could bring my own bread and "wine" seeing I am celiac and also sensitive to grapes. I brought a little chunk of Udi's, and I took a very small vitamin bottle full of plain water. I have yet to find a vitamin I can tolerate. I washed the bottle really well in hot water, but I fear that the "cardboard" inside the cap still held some of the offending substance.

So here I am with pustules all over my hands and feet and a jaw that make me look like a hamster. OW!

But what do you do? You keep on smiling, working, visiting with friends, and posting here. Eventually it'll get better. And tonight is my "night off". I run a music store and give lots of lessons, but I take Tuesdays off from lessons and just run the store. I can go home at 6 tonight and listen to the debate on the radio. Then I will read for a while and then off to bed. Tomorrow will be a good day, whether I am better or not. :)

squirmingitch Veteran

Awwww bartful! I'm soooo sorry you're hurting again. Seems like you can't get a break for very long at one time. Everything sounds like it's so painful for you --- jaw, hands, feet. Big hugs! (((((bartful))))))

Interesting info. on the sea salt. Some time back I read that even non-iodized salt contains trace amounts of iodine --- not b/c it's added to the salt but b/c those salt mines were originally under the sea way on back when pre paleo.laugh.gif It sure can get confusing.

L.J. Your mention of 2 dogs & 3 cats reminded me of something. You need to make sure your dogs & cats are eating gluten free food or you can get cc'd.unsure.gif

shadowicewolf Proficient

What i generally eat (I too need to eat more <_< mine is just not hungery) is the following:

Cereal for breakfast (with or without milk depending on if i have it), so rice chex

lunch is normally either leftovers or a couple of corn tortillas with peanut butter and honey (if i do this i normally have fruit of some sort with it).

dinner is a gambit: some sort of meat, veggie, or fruit. I've been known to eat an entire acorn squash for dinner lol

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks for the hugs and positive thoughts, L.J. and Squirming. As bad as I have it, I think you two have a much more uncomfortable problem with the DH. My heart goes out to you both, and anyone else suffering from DH. It sounds to me like the very worst symptom our wonderful disease can cause.

Yeah, it IS frustrating getting hit all the time. After the vitamin residue I tried the nettle tea and I think that has prolonged the flare-up. Or maybe it's still just the vitamin residue. I'll try the tea again after I am completely healed.

L.J., ice makes the jaw worse. Heat is better, and lots and lots of Tylenol. And a bit of whining doesn't really help, but I do it anyway. :lol:

Sounds like you have an interesting job. What do you teach? I teach music, as you know, and SOMEDAY I am going to make a recording and send it to my friends. I hope you like mellow jazz because that is mostly what I play.

Squirming, I think I am going to have to find some gluten-free cat food too. I am fanatical about washing my hands after touching either her or her food, but I am beginning to think SHE has gluten intolerance too. She used to cough up a hairball about once a month, but lately she is just plain vomiting a couple of times a week. She doesn't seem sick at all. She still eats, still plays a bit, still purrs all the time and acts like her normal self. Just likes to throw up on the rug, or the bed, or like the other day when she threw up on my nice clean clothes that were laying ON the bed. I'll have to check with the vet right next door and see if she carries gluten-free cat food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Hi Bartfull

Sorry things are rough. Just wanted to say since I sent my

Cat gluten-free she has a new lease of life. At 8 she was starting to look old and just sit around. Now she has gone all kittenish again. Maybe that's how we'll all feel too me day ;)

L.J. Rookie

Hi Squirmy! ;)

Yes, I thought of the gluten in their food--so I wash my hands instantly after feeding them...may not be enough though. My rash is a bit better--but after eating 3 dates (I was famished)I had a couple of outbreaks. Guess what dates are high in? Iodine!Curses! :D

I am still recuperating from my avocado adventure--Last night, after being exhausted at 7:30 pm, I said that I think Thursday pm kicked my arse...My hubs said, "Uh, you almost died. I think you are going to take a few days to heal." :rolleyes: Nothing like a reality check, eh? :)

So, I am attempting to be extremely careful! No Cheating! (I have actually done pretty good about this--minus the dates)! Take care! :D

Awwww bartful! I'm soooo sorry you're hurting again. Seems like you can't get a break for very long at one time. Everything sounds like it's so painful for you --- jaw, hands, feet. Big hugs! (((((bartful))))))

Interesting info. on the sea salt. Some time back I read that even non-iodized salt contains trace amounts of iodine --- not b/c it's added to the salt but b/c those salt mines were originally under the sea way on back when pre paleo.laugh.gif It sure can get confusing.

L.J. Your mention of 2 dogs & 3 cats reminded me of something. You need to make sure your dogs & cats are eating gluten free food or you can get cc'd.unsure.gif

L.J. Rookie

Hi Bartfull!

I think you are absolutely right when we need some time to whine a bit...then we pick ourselves up--and move forward! Thank goodness, we get to whine here where other people "get it". :D

I personally *love* mellow jazz--that is often what I listen to when I am going to sleep. So, on a good day, play away! :)

I teach Psychology, Sociology & English. I love instructing--and have found a new career that is fulfilling and amazing. I love to see students grow and learn--as you know from your instruction as well! :)

How are you doing today? Any better? Any sleep? I hope so! :) Take good care of yourself--no new things like you said--our bodies will definitely remind us when we venture into "poison" foods that we can't handle! Rather I should say, our bodies scream at us when we eat the poison, eh? :D

Thanks for the hugs and positive thoughts, L.J. and Squirming. As bad as I have it, I think you two have a much more uncomfortable problem with the DH. My heart goes out to you both, and anyone else suffering from DH. It sounds to me like the very worst symptom our wonderful disease can cause.

Yeah, it IS frustrating getting hit all the time. After the vitamin residue I tried the nettle tea and I think that has prolonged the flare-up. Or maybe it's still just the vitamin residue. I'll try the tea again after I am completely healed.

L.J., ice makes the jaw worse. Heat is better, and lots and lots of Tylenol. And a bit of whining doesn't really help, but I do it anyway. :lol:

Sounds like you have an interesting job. What do you teach? I teach music, as you know, and SOMEDAY I am going to make a recording and send it to my friends. I hope you like mellow jazz because that is mostly what I play.

Squirming, I think I am going to have to find some gluten-free cat food too. I am fanatical about washing my hands after touching either her or her food, but I am beginning to think SHE has gluten intolerance too. She used to cough up a hairball about once a month, but lately she is just plain vomiting a couple of times a week. She doesn't seem sick at all. She still eats, still plays a bit, still purrs all the time and acts like her normal self. Just likes to throw up on the rug, or the bed, or like the other day when she threw up on my nice clean clothes that were laying ON the bed. I'll have to check with the vet right next door and see if she carries gluten-free cat food.

L.J. Rookie

Hi shadowicewolf!

I can eat corn tortillas--and recently found that a homemade corn polenta works very well for me too. It has *lots* of nutrition and calories--which we need so badly, yes? So I just keep trying to make sure I have "leftovers" to eat...then I can pounce on them when I go into the "I am starving and will eat anything mode"...not good because that is when I will "cheat"--No cheating, it kicks my booty! :D

What i generally eat (I too need to eat more <_< mine is just not hungery) is the following:

Cereal for breakfast (with or without milk depending on if i have it), so rice chex

lunch is normally either leftovers or a couple of corn tortillas with peanut butter and honey (if i do this i normally have fruit of some sort with it).

dinner is a gambit: some sort of meat, veggie, or fruit. I've been known to eat an entire acorn squash for dinner lol

L.J. Rookie

Hi Celiac Mindwarp!

After seeing the posts about pet food--I will probably look around! Problem is, I have a 23+ year old cat and a 22+ year old cat and they are not able to eat much food either! I have found one food that they can eat--so I have just been being careful about handling their food...My 9 year old cat is happy--she gets the "leftovers" that they leave. (Needless to say, she does *not* need more calories!) :D

Hi Bartfull

Sorry things are rough. Just wanted to say since I sent my

Cat gluten-free she has a new lease of life. At 8 she was starting to look old and just sit around. Now she has gone all kittenish again. Maybe that's how we'll all feel too me day ;)

frieze Community Regular

remember...cats are carnivores, not omnivores.....

GFinDC Veteran

BG (Beyond Grain) makes gluten-free cat food. There is another one called "Blue" or something like that. My cat did much better on BG food than regular cat food. Until the possum ate her anyway. :(

L,J, sorry about the dates. That means Lara bars are a problem too then since they are mostly dates. Guess you don't want to know that someone posted a recipe for making your own Lara Bars sometime ago. OK, so don't read that last sentence...

Well, you may end up making your own Halloween candy this year the way it sounds. At least you will save a bunch of time walking door to door to get your bag filled. One thing that might work is peanut brittle. There are microwave peanut brittle recipes on the webster that are fairly easy to make. You don't have to use peanuts of course, you can use dried fruit or seeds or twigs and leaves if you want. Sesame seed brittle is good. Sunflower seeds brittle with dried pineapple or ginger chunks would be ok I think. Lots of choices really.

FP signing off...

Can you smell the fresh Halloween air? :ph34r::D

L.J. Rookie

Hi FP!

I do love the Fall! In Phoenix, the temperatures are cooling down and it is like a breath of fresh air! :D

The brittle idea is a good one! I think it would be *wonderful* with the different variety of dried fruit and different seeds! I am still not thinking outside of the box all of the way when it comes to foods--I "heard Peanut brittle"...and my brain went :ph34r: LOL :D

Then I saw your revisions and of course see amazing options. Just another change in the thought process!

Halloween is in the air--but it is true--homemade snacks for me with no door-to-door trick or treating! (I could use the walking though! :D )

I am still tired...oh no, L.J., no whining! <_<

So I rest as I need to and keep eating gluten-free and Peanut Free and Avocado/Banana free!

And I Love eating the wonderful foods that make me feel energized! :D

P.S. So sorry that your cat ran into that possum. Here, it is coyotes that we have to watch out for. Every evening at dusk, I can hear their howls, which I find nice--until I think that they are howling so loudly because they found dinner... :(

I will look at the cat food you mentioned--(My oldy but goody cat of 23 years doesn't really have teeth--so it limits what she can eat.) She too has our stomach issues--both C. and D.--so she gets extra TLC from me!

The good news for me: Since I have been eating gluten-free, etc. I am having less rashes! I did try drinking some alcohol last night...and although I didn't have severe reactions, it is definitely better for me to not drink (alcohol) much!

Talk soon! :D

:

BG (Beyond Grain) makes gluten-free cat food. There is another one called "Blue" or something like that. My cat did much better on BG food than regular cat food. Until the possum ate her anyway. :(

L,J, sorry about the dates. That means Lara bars are a problem too then since they are mostly dates. Guess you don't want to know that someone posted a recipe for making your own Lara Bars sometime ago. OK, so don't read that last sentence...

Well, you may end up making your own Halloween candy this year the way it sounds. At least you will save a bunch of time walking door to door to get your bag filled. One thing that might work is peanut brittle. There are microwave peanut brittle recipes on the webster that are fairly easy to make. You don't have to use peanuts of course, you can use dried fruit or seeds or twigs and leaves if you want. Sesame seed brittle is good. Sunflower seeds brittle with dried pineapple or ginger chunks would be ok I think. Lots of choices really.

FP signing off...

Can you smell the fresh Halloween air? :ph34r::D

GFinDC Veteran

HI LJ,

Good news, Muffin the cat came home! She was meowing outside my door tonight after I got home from the gallery. Silly cat was gone over a month, and comes back with no explanation except meow many times over, like that is supposed to explain it! I am glad the possum didn't get her tho. Sounds like your one kitty is near ready to fly to the great beyond. 23 years is pretty old for a cat.

Less rashes is good :). I have less hair myself, and I am not real excited about it, but I guess that's not the same. :)

I forgot to mention sesame seeds I think. Toasted sesame seeds would be great too. Punkin seed also if you like them. I used to make candy like that with seeds and then spread it out on wax paper to cool. But before it cooled I would add shredded coconut to the top. After It cooled I would pat the pieces in carob or chocolate powder to coat them on the bottom. That also makes them less sticky on the bottom, so bonus.

That's good you didn't drink much alcohol, we are on the way to making a good monk of you! :D

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks gluten-free! I bookmarked that recipe myself! YUM!

LJ, you could cook for your oldie but goodie cats. Chicken & then put it in the food processor so they can lick it up --- no teeth required. And you can always do the same with canned tuna or salmon --- just food process it till it's mush. You could do batches & then freeze the mush in appropriate proportions. the thing about dogs & cats (especially cats) is that they lick themselves all over. Then you pet them & get cc'd. OR they lay their gluteney bodies all over the sofa or chair or bed or..... & cc happens.

L.J. Rookie

Hi FP,

So glad that Muffin got home! One month gone and back without one explanation!! :D Was she skinny? She sounds happy as a purring cat to be at home though, yes?

It is true, my one cat at 23 is near ready to fly...As long as she is perky, it's good. But I won't let her starve to death...consequently, with the TLC she's happy! :D Although she definitely is not shy about "yelling" for her food at her every whim :P

Less rashes are good--the alcohol, very questionable, but I imbibed a bit--But sometimes I do feel like my "monk-dom" is on the forefront! :( (I suppose the unsmiley face means I am not convinced yet) :)

Speaking of Muffin s...(your cat and my morning) I walked into the employee staff lounge and before me was a Gluten Glutten of Screaming Food Yelling at *Me*...Muffins of all kinds were there--along with, (do I dare say this, Homemade Cream Puffs... :ph34r:

That are the two that I still remember!!! I grabbed my fruit, and ate it away from the Gluten Feast... :blink: That little devil in me tried to tell me that I could have a muffin...just one. :blink: I knew it was a lie of course! :D So I walked...no ran out...and made it out without a touch of gluten in me! Yay :D Close call tho:(

LOL on the less hair by the way...I think that is the norm as we get wiser, don't you? OK, maybe not so often for women, but men and wisdom (I am sure of this, but I have "misplaced" the reference :D ) go hand in hand!

I copied the Microwave Brittle...Yum! I am going to come up with some goodies that I know are safe for me...chocolate and I don't get along :( But you came up with some great ideas to add! I do crave sweets some--and this is a perfect one to try! Thank you! :D

Could I ask where you live? (Is that allowed here)? What do you do for excitement in your life? You mentioned a gallery...you might love art, eh? :rolleyes: Anyway, talk soon! Thanks for the encouraging words as always! (Give Muffin (the Non-gluten kind) a hug from me! :D

HI LJ,

Good news, Muffin the cat came home! She was meowing outside my door tonight after I got home from the gallery. Silly cat was gone over a month, and comes back with no explanation except meow many times over, like that is supposed to explain it! I am glad the possum didn't get her tho. Sounds like your one kitty is near ready to fly to the great beyond. 23 years is pretty old for a cat.

Less rashes is good :). I have less hair myself, and I am not real excited about it, but I guess that's not the same. :)

I forgot to mention sesame seeds I think. Toasted sesame seeds would be great too. Punkin seed also if you like them. I sued to make candy like that with seeds and then spread it out on wax paper to col. But before it cooled I would add shredded coconut to the top. After It cooled I would pat the pieces in carob or chocolate powder to coat them on the bottom. That also makes them less sticky on the bottom, so bonus.

That's good you didn't drink much alcohol, we are on the way to making a good monk of you! :D

L.J. Rookie

Hi Squirmy! ;)

Great idea about the food processer and chicken or tuna! It is the "pate" she wants--which has no chunks of meat in it...And I just happen to have some extra chicken for my munching on in the house! I hope she loves it! :P

The cc is always there--I do have to be careful, but even with her canned food I am! So, I will try it!

How are you doing? Fill me in when you can! :D

Thanks gluten-free! I bookmarked that recipe myself! YUM!

LJ, you could cook for your oldie but goodie cats. Chicken & then put it in the food processor so they can lick it up --- no teeth required. And you can always do the same with canned tuna or salmon --- just food process it till it's mush. You could do batches & then freeze the mush in appropriate proportions. the thing about dogs & cats (especially cats) is that they lick themselves all over. Then you pet them & get cc'd. OR they lay their gluteney bodies all over the sofa or chair or bed or..... & cc happens.

L.J. Rookie

Hi Bartfull!

I think you are absolutely right when we need some time to whine a bit...then we pick ourselves up--and move forward! Thank goodness, we get to whine here where other people "get it". :D

I personally *love* mellow jazz--that is often what I listen to when I am going to sleep. So, on a good day, play away! :)

I teach Psychology, Sociology & English. I love instructing--and have found a new career that is fulfilling and amazing. I love to see students grow and learn--as you know from your instruction as well! :)

How are you doing today? Any better? Any sleep? I hope so! :) Take good care of yourself--no new things like you said--our bodies will definitely remind us when we venture into "poison" foods that we can't handle! Rather I should say, our bodies scream at us when we eat the poison, eh? :D

Hey Bartfull!

How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in awhile! Better:) Same :huh: Worse :(

or Ugh :ph34r: Or just fill me in on how you are lately! Last I heard, you were having a tough spell...:(

L.J. Rookie

Aaaagh! :( I have been doing well--until last night. I ate two apples on the same day--the only thing different for me. I had a major rash within an hour--GFin (or FP as I call him) is probably right about the cc reactions from being allergic to Ragweeds (all of them are high on my allergin reactions!) Apples and Pears and a variety of other foods that I don't eat are listed as highly probable to be allergic to if a person reacts to the Ragweeds :huh: So today, no pears :( no apples:( and see how that does for me!

I will focus on some veggies, rice cakes, chicken, basics... and move forward. Another lesson learned-- none of the "same" fruits on the "same" day--(I hope that is the case anyway!) :)

GFinDC Veteran

You are welcome Squirmy-wormy! :)

Hi FP,

So glad that Muffin got home! One month gone and back without one explanation!! :D Was she skinny? She sounds happy as a purring cat to be at home though, yes?

It is true, my one cat at 23 is near ready to fly...As long as she is perky, it's good. But I won't let her starve to death...consequently, with the TLC she's happy! :D Although she definitely is not shy about "yelling" for her food at her every whim :P

Less rashes are good--the alcohol, very questionable, but I imbibed a bit--But sometimes I do feel like my "monk-dom" is on the forefront! :( (I suppose the unsmiley face means I am not convinced yet) :)

Speaking of Muffin s...(your cat and my morning) I walked into the employee staff lounge and before me was a Gluten Glutten of Screaming Food Yelling at *Me*...Muffins of all kinds were there--along with, (do I dare say this, Homemade Cream Puffs... :ph34r:

That are the two that I still remember!!! I grabbed my fruit, and ate it away from the Gluten Feast... :blink: That little devil in me tried to tell me that I could have a muffin...just one. :blink: I knew it was a lie of course! :D So I walked...no ran out...and made it out without a touch of gluten in me! Yay :D Close call tho:(

LOL on the less hair by the way...I think that is the norm as we get wiser, don't you? OK, maybe not so often for women, but men and wisdom (I am sure of this, but I have "misplaced" the reference :D ) go hand in hand!

I copied the Microwave Brittle...Yum! I am going to come up with some goodies that I know are safe for me...chocolate and I don't get along :( But you came up with some great ideas to add! I do crave sweets some--and this is a perfect one to try! Thank you! :D

Could I ask where you live? (Is that allowed here)? What do you do for excitement in your life? You mentioned a gallery...you might love art, eh? :rolleyes: Anyway, talk soon! Thanks for the encouraging words as always! (Give Muffin (the Non-gluten kind) a hug from me! :D

Ah yes, maybe carob powder will work instead of the chocolate. Chocolate and I don't get along either, carob is somewhat better tho. I have a clear glass bowl that I used in the microwave so I can see how the boil is going on the sugar syrup without opening the door. Of course it works to make it on the stove to in a pot also, the nuker is not necessary for the brittle to cook. Yep, there are ton's of variations of things to try in a brittle recipe. Really just about anything will work, altho it is nicer if it is edible.

Good for you avoiding the muffin fest in your office. Those kind of things bothered me at first but after a while they just didn't matter. We do have lots of food choices but it can take time to learn to eat them and want them vs wanting what we are used to. Kind of like breaking a bad habit, if you will. Eating is something we learn as children and those habits can take a while to change. But they can change. A little "Wah!!!" every now and then is appropriate tho.

Yep, its good to have the Muffin-head back. She has been staying pretty close the last few days. She is really skinny after her explorations too, and eating a lot. I was about to throw out her litter pans because I figured she was a goner. She likes to kneed my stomach when it is hurting which always seems strange to me that she knows that somehow. She likes me to stand by her and watch her eat too. Very silly.

No, you can't ask where I live! Harumpf :(:ph34r: Altho if you can read my user name correctly for once instead of mangling it into farty-pants, the last two letters are my city. Actually you can ask, I am just being a pain in the watusi. :D I live in Washington , DC. I am an artist and just took an early retirement from my real job, so am looking for work now. Two interviews tomorrow and hopefully one will pan out. My art website is in my profile but I can't l post it in the forum. Riots broke out last time. Well, maybe not, but it is against some rule thing or other.

I gallery sit on Saturdays at a local gallery. I bring my art supplies and make art while I am there i so it works out pretty well. I do mostly encaustic abstracts right now. Oh yeah, did this thread have a topic? Guess I should wander back to it some.

Well, slow and steady on the diet is a good way to go L.J. Simple easy meals are good for your digestion and easier to handle. Time is a very good healer as long as we are not putting poison in our guts every day. Learning to avoid the poison (which seems to vary for each of us) is the trick. Keep going, you can do eet! :)

L.J. Rookie

Hi FPinDC!!!

LOL, for being a pain in the watusi, you are very helpful! :lol:

I am going to try the yummy brittle-with carob. I am still having the rashes--see my Doc today :( because I am not sure he helps that much...I have gotten far more insight into what to eat and not eat here. :D

Muffin (your cat) is *very* happy--I too swear they "know" when and where we are hurting. They seem to be positive that kneading the sore stom helps! (Mine do too) My oldy but goody cat is particularly picky about my watching her eat! If I walk away--so does she :rolleyes: Ah well, what we do for our lovey animals, eh?

An Arteest, eh? :) So where can I find your site since we can't put it here? I have a feeling you will do quite well in your interviews! Your personality comes through so well that they won't be able to say "no" to you for a job! :)

Oh, back to topic...Eat well, FP, and this FP is going to as well! I am going to add a sweet potato next...hopefully that will become a new food I can depend on!

Talk soon--

You are welcome Squirmy-wormy! :)

Ah yes, maybe carob powder will work instead of the chocolate. Chocolate and I don't get along either, carob is somewhat better tho. I have a clear glass bowl that I used in the microwave so I can see how the boil is going on the sugar syrup without opening the door. Of course it works to make it on the stove to in a pot also, the nuker is not necessary for the brittle to cook. Yep, there are ton's of variations of things to try in a brittle recipe. Really just about anything will work, altho it is nicer if it is edible.

Good for you avoiding the muffin fest in your office. Those kind of things bothered me at first but after a while they just didn't matter. We do have lots of food choices but it can take time to learn to eat them and want them vs wanting what we are used to. Kind of like breaking a bad habit, if you will. Eating is something we learn as children and those habits can take a while to change. But they can change. A little "Wah!!!" every now and then is appropriate tho.

Yep, its good to have the Muffin-head back. She has been staying pretty close the last few days. She is really skinny after her explorations too, and eating a lot. I was about to throw out her litter pans because I figured she was a goner. She likes to kneed my stomach when it is hurting which always seems strange to me that she knows that somehow. She likes me to stand by her and watch her eat too. Very silly.

No, you can't ask where I live! Harumpf :(:ph34r: Altho if you can read my user name correctly for once instead of mangling it into farty-pants, the last two letters are my city. Actually you can ask, I am just being a pain in the watusi. :D I live in Washington , DC. I am an artist and just took an early retirement from my real job, so am looking for work now. Two interviews tomorrow and hopefully one will pan out. My art website is in my profile but I can't l post it in the forum. Riots broke out last time. Well, maybe not, but it is against some rule thing or other.

I gallery sit on Saturdays at a local gallery. I bring my art supplies and make art while I am there i so it works out pretty well. I do mostly encaustic abstracts right now. Oh yeah, did this thread have a topic? Guess I should wander back to it some.

Well, slow and steady on the diet is a good way to go L.J. Simple easy meals are good for your digestion and easier to handle. Time is a very good healer as long as we are not putting poison in our guts every day. Learning to avoid the poison (which seems to vary for each of us) is the trick. Keep going, you can do eet! :)

L.J. Rookie

Ugh!!!...OK. This has definitely become a Rant...So I saw my doctor, who was extremely interested in redoing blood tests to see if I was allergic to avocados and bananas...especially since I had an anaphylactic reaction to avocados! <_< This seems extremely redundant. Which is a nice way of saying "stupid"...I will not be eating avocados whether the "blood tests say fine or not"--but doctors love to have the "proof" in front of them.

On the other hand, the things I really wanted to discuss was the concern regarding the weight loss, other ideas regarding cross reactions to my confirmed allergies, etc. Suggestions for foods based on "his allergy testings" blah blah blah :ph34r:

As a result, he only wanted to discuss my anaphylactic reaction, and was very concerned with the stuffy nose from my allergies--which is *not* a concern to me. I am more concerned with gluten issues, peanut allergies, etc. So he gave me some free medicine for my stuffy nose...Nice to have the free medicine :) Really? my nose????? AARGH! That is the *least* of my concerns--which I said very clearly to him...But he still wanted me to use the nose medicine.

Unfortunately, I got *NO* answers to my concerns or questions regarding my rashes, or gluten questions. :angry: A friend asked what the doctor said...her recommendation was to find a new one! LOL I am not feeling very optimistic about finding a new doctor that really gets the issues here! In fact, I am presently feeling like what exactly will a doctor tell me at this point that is new?????? That I cannot find here?

I asked regarding gluten/peanut issues...and my other concerns... :ph34r:

But, as many people have discussed, doctors do not have the magic cure--and rarely listen to "our" concerns very well. At least that is what I am feeling today... :huh:

I have gotten so much more info here...Thanks to you all again!!!! :D I think the ranting session is completed!

squirmingitch Veteran

Aw heck. Can't you rant better than that? :lol: :lol: :lol: You're allowed to you know. :P

I forget..... did you get an epi pen?

Archived