Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Newly Diagnosed with Questions

• Please log in to reply

168 replies to this topic

#91 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

HI LJ,

Good news, Muffin the cat came home! She was meowing outside my door tonight after I got home from the gallery. Silly cat was gone over a month, and comes back with no explanation except meow many times over, like that is supposed to explain it! I am glad the possum didn't get her tho. Sounds like your one kitty is near ready to fly to the great beyond. 23 years is pretty old for a cat.

Less rashes is good :). I have less hair myself, and I am not real excited about it, but I guess that's not the same. :)

I forgot to mention sesame seeds I think. Toasted sesame seeds would be great too. Punkin seed also if you like them. I used to make candy like that with seeds and then spread it out on wax paper to cool. But before it cooled I would add shredded coconut to the top. After It cooled I would pat the pieces in carob or chocolate powder to coat them on the bottom. That also makes them less sticky on the bottom, so bonus.

That's good you didn't drink much alcohol, we are on the way to making a good monk of you! :D

Microwave Peanut Brittle
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thanks gluten-free! I bookmarked that recipe myself! YUM!

LJ, you could cook for your oldie but goodie cats. Chicken & then put it in the food processor so they can lick it up --- no teeth required. And you can always do the same with canned tuna or salmon --- just food process it till it's mush. You could do batches & then freeze the mush in appropriate proportions. the thing about dogs & cats (especially cats) is that they lick themselves all over. Then you pet them & get cc'd. OR they lay their gluteney bodies all over the sofa or chair or bed or..... & cc happens.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#93 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi FP,

So glad that Muffin got home! One month gone and back without one explanation!! :D Was she skinny? She sounds happy as a purring cat to be at home though, yes?

It is true, my one cat at 23 is near ready to fly...As long as she is perky, it's good. But I won't let her starve to death...consequently, with the TLC she's happy! :D Although she definitely is not shy about "yelling" for her food at her every whim :P

Less rashes are good--the alcohol, very questionable, but I imbibed a bit--But sometimes I do feel like my "monk-dom" is on the forefront! :( (I suppose the unsmiley face means I am not convinced yet) :)

Speaking of Muffin s...(your cat and my morning) I walked into the employee staff lounge and before me was a Gluten Glutten of Screaming Food Yelling at *Me*...Muffins of all kinds were there--along with, (do I dare say this, Homemade Cream Puffs... :ph34r:

That are the two that I still remember!!! I grabbed my fruit, and ate it away from the Gluten Feast... :blink: That little devil in me tried to tell me that I could have a muffin...just one. :blink: I knew it was a lie of course! :D So I walked...no ran out...and made it out without a touch of gluten in me! Yay :D Close call tho:(

LOL on the less hair by the way...I think that is the norm as we get wiser, don't you? OK, maybe not so often for women, but men and wisdom (I am sure of this, but I have "misplaced" the reference :D ) go hand in hand!

I copied the Microwave Brittle...Yum! I am going to come up with some goodies that I know are safe for me...chocolate and I don't get along :( But you came up with some great ideas to add! I do crave sweets some--and this is a perfect one to try! Thank you! :D

Could I ask where you live? (Is that allowed here)? What do you do for excitement in your life? You mentioned a gallery...you might love art, eh? :rolleyes: Anyway, talk soon! Thanks for the encouraging words as always! (Give Muffin (the Non-gluten kind) a hug from me! :D

HI LJ,

Good news, Muffin the cat came home! She was meowing outside my door tonight after I got home from the gallery. Silly cat was gone over a month, and comes back with no explanation except meow many times over, like that is supposed to explain it! I am glad the possum didn't get her tho. Sounds like your one kitty is near ready to fly to the great beyond. 23 years is pretty old for a cat.

Less rashes is good :). I have less hair myself, and I am not real excited about it, but I guess that's not the same. :)

I forgot to mention sesame seeds I think. Toasted sesame seeds would be great too. Punkin seed also if you like them. I sued to make candy like that with seeds and then spread it out on wax paper to col. But before it cooled I would add shredded coconut to the top. After It cooled I would pat the pieces in carob or chocolate powder to coat them on the bottom. That also makes them less sticky on the bottom, so bonus.

That's good you didn't drink much alcohol, we are on the way to making a good monk of you! :D

Microwave Peanut Brittle

#94 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi Squirmy! ;)

Great idea about the food processer and chicken or tuna! It is the "pate" she wants--which has no chunks of meat in it...And I just happen to have some extra chicken for my munching on in the house! I hope she loves it! :P

The cc is always there--I do have to be careful, but even with her canned food I am! So, I will try it!

How are you doing? Fill me in when you can! :D

Thanks gluten-free! I bookmarked that recipe myself! YUM!

LJ, you could cook for your oldie but goodie cats. Chicken & then put it in the food processor so they can lick it up --- no teeth required. And you can always do the same with canned tuna or salmon --- just food process it till it's mush. You could do batches & then freeze the mush in appropriate proportions. the thing about dogs & cats (especially cats) is that they lick themselves all over. Then you pet them & get cc'd. OR they lay their gluteney bodies all over the sofa or chair or bed or..... & cc happens.

#95 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi Bartfull!

I think you are absolutely right when we need some time to whine a bit...then we pick ourselves up--and move forward! Thank goodness, we get to whine here where other people "get it". :D

I personally *love* mellow jazz--that is often what I listen to when I am going to sleep. So, on a good day, play away! :)

I teach Psychology, Sociology & English. I love instructing--and have found a new career that is fulfilling and amazing. I love to see students grow and learn--as you know from your instruction as well! :)

How are you doing today? Any better? Any sleep? I hope so! :) Take good care of yourself--no new things like you said--our bodies will definitely remind us when we venture into "poison" foods that we can't handle! Rather I should say, our bodies scream at us when we eat the poison, eh? :D

Hey Bartfull!

How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in awhile! Better:) Same :huh: Worse :(
or Ugh :ph34r: Or just fill me in on how you are lately! Last I heard, you were having a tough spell...:(

#96 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Aaaagh! :( I have been doing well--until last night. I ate two apples on the same day--the only thing different for me. I had a major rash within an hour--GFin (or FP as I call him) is probably right about the cc reactions from being allergic to Ragweeds (all of them are high on my allergin reactions!) Apples and Pears and a variety of other foods that I don't eat are listed as highly probable to be allergic to if a person reacts to the Ragweeds :huh: So today, no pears :( no apples:( and see how that does for me!

I will focus on some veggies, rice cakes, chicken, basics... and move forward. Another lesson learned-- none of the "same" fruits on the "same" day--(I hope that is the case anyway!) :)

#97 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

You are welcome Squirmy-wormy! :)

Hi FP,
So glad that Muffin got home! One month gone and back without one explanation!! :D Was she skinny? She sounds happy as a purring cat to be at home though, yes?

It is true, my one cat at 23 is near ready to fly...As long as she is perky, it's good. But I won't let her starve to death...consequently, with the TLC she's happy! :D Although she definitely is not shy about "yelling" for her food at her every whim :P

Less rashes are good--the alcohol, very questionable, but I imbibed a bit--But sometimes I do feel like my "monk-dom" is on the forefront! :( (I suppose the unsmiley face means I am not convinced yet) :)

Speaking of Muffin s...(your cat and my morning) I walked into the employee staff lounge and before me was a Gluten Glutten of Screaming Food Yelling at *Me*...Muffins of all kinds were there--along with, (do I dare say this, Homemade Cream Puffs... :ph34r:

That are the two that I still remember!!! I grabbed my fruit, and ate it away from the Gluten Feast... :blink: That little devil in me tried to tell me that I could have a muffin...just one. :blink: I knew it was a lie of course! :D So I walked...no ran out...and made it out without a touch of gluten in me! Yay :D Close call tho:(

LOL on the less hair by the way...I think that is the norm as we get wiser, don't you? OK, maybe not so often for women, but men and wisdom (I am sure of this, but I have "misplaced" the reference :D ) go hand in hand!

I copied the Microwave Brittle...Yum! I am going to come up with some goodies that I know are safe for me...chocolate and I don't get along :( But you came up with some great ideas to add! I do crave sweets some--and this is a perfect one to try! Thank you! :D

Could I ask where you live? (Is that allowed here)? What do you do for excitement in your life? You mentioned a gallery...you might love art, eh? :rolleyes: Anyway, talk soon! Thanks for the encouraging words as always! (Give Muffin (the Non-gluten kind) a hug from me! :D

Ah yes, maybe carob powder will work instead of the chocolate. Chocolate and I don't get along either, carob is somewhat better tho. I have a clear glass bowl that I used in the microwave so I can see how the boil is going on the sugar syrup without opening the door. Of course it works to make it on the stove to in a pot also, the nuker is not necessary for the brittle to cook. Yep, there are ton's of variations of things to try in a brittle recipe. Really just about anything will work, altho it is nicer if it is edible.

Good for you avoiding the muffin fest in your office. Those kind of things bothered me at first but after a while they just didn't matter. We do have lots of food choices but it can take time to learn to eat them and want them vs wanting what we are used to. Kind of like breaking a bad habit, if you will. Eating is something we learn as children and those habits can take a while to change. But they can change. A little "Wah!!!" every now and then is appropriate tho.

Yep, its good to have the Muffin-head back. She has been staying pretty close the last few days. She is really skinny after her explorations too, and eating a lot. I was about to throw out her litter pans because I figured she was a goner. She likes to kneed my stomach when it is hurting which always seems strange to me that she knows that somehow. She likes me to stand by her and watch her eat too. Very silly.

No, you can't ask where I live! Harumpf :( :ph34r: Altho if you can read my user name correctly for once instead of mangling it into farty-pants, the last two letters are my city. Actually you can ask, I am just being a pain in the watusi. :D I live in Washington , DC. I am an artist and just took an early retirement from my real job, so am looking for work now. Two interviews tomorrow and hopefully one will pan out. My art website is in my profile but I can't l post it in the forum. Riots broke out last time. Well, maybe not, but it is against some rule thing or other.

I gallery sit on Saturdays at a local gallery. I bring my art supplies and make art while I am there i so it works out pretty well. I do mostly encaustic abstracts right now. Oh yeah, did this thread have a topic? Guess I should wander back to it some.

Well, slow and steady on the diet is a good way to go L.J. Simple easy meals are good for your digestion and easier to handle. Time is a very good healer as long as we are not putting poison in our guts every day. Learning to avoid the poison (which seems to vary for each of us) is the trick. Keep going, you can do eet! :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#98 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hi FPinDC!!!

LOL, for being a pain in the watusi, you are very helpful! :lol:

I am going to try the yummy brittle-with carob. I am still having the rashes--see my Doc today :( because I am not sure he helps that much...I have gotten far more insight into what to eat and not eat here. :D

Muffin (your cat) is *very* happy--I too swear they "know" when and where we are hurting. They seem to be positive that kneading the sore stom helps! (Mine do too) My oldy but goody cat is particularly picky about my watching her eat! If I walk away--so does she :rolleyes: Ah well, what we do for our lovey animals, eh?

An Arteest, eh? :) So where can I find your site since we can't put it here? I have a feeling you will do quite well in your interviews! Your personality comes through so well that they won't be able to say "no" to you for a job! :)

Oh, back to topic...Eat well, FP, and this FP is going to as well! I am going to add a sweet potato next...hopefully that will become a new food I can depend on!

Talk soon--

You are welcome Squirmy-wormy! :)

Ah yes, maybe carob powder will work instead of the chocolate. Chocolate and I don't get along either, carob is somewhat better tho. I have a clear glass bowl that I used in the microwave so I can see how the boil is going on the sugar syrup without opening the door. Of course it works to make it on the stove to in a pot also, the nuker is not necessary for the brittle to cook. Yep, there are ton's of variations of things to try in a brittle recipe. Really just about anything will work, altho it is nicer if it is edible.

Good for you avoiding the muffin fest in your office. Those kind of things bothered me at first but after a while they just didn't matter. We do have lots of food choices but it can take time to learn to eat them and want them vs wanting what we are used to. Kind of like breaking a bad habit, if you will. Eating is something we learn as children and those habits can take a while to change. But they can change. A little "Wah!!!" every now and then is appropriate tho.

Yep, its good to have the Muffin-head back. She has been staying pretty close the last few days. She is really skinny after her explorations too, and eating a lot. I was about to throw out her litter pans because I figured she was a goner. She likes to kneed my stomach when it is hurting which always seems strange to me that she knows that somehow. She likes me to stand by her and watch her eat too. Very silly.

No, you can't ask where I live! Harumpf :( :ph34r: Altho if you can read my user name correctly for once instead of mangling it into farty-pants, the last two letters are my city. Actually you can ask, I am just being a pain in the watusi. :D I live in Washington , DC. I am an artist and just took an early retirement from my real job, so am looking for work now. Two interviews tomorrow and hopefully one will pan out. My art website is in my profile but I can't l post it in the forum. Riots broke out last time. Well, maybe not, but it is against some rule thing or other.

I gallery sit on Saturdays at a local gallery. I bring my art supplies and make art while I am there i so it works out pretty well. I do mostly encaustic abstracts right now. Oh yeah, did this thread have a topic? Guess I should wander back to it some.

Well, slow and steady on the diet is a good way to go L.J. Simple easy meals are good for your digestion and easier to handle. Time is a very good healer as long as we are not putting poison in our guts every day. Learning to avoid the poison (which seems to vary for each of us) is the trick. Keep going, you can do eet! :)

#99 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Ugh!!!...OK. This has definitely become a Rant...So I saw my doctor, who was extremely interested in redoing blood tests to see if I was allergic to avocados and bananas...especially since I had an anaphylactic reaction to avocados! <_< This seems extremely redundant. Which is a nice way of saying "stupid"...I will not be eating avocados whether the "blood tests say fine or not"--but doctors love to have the "proof" in front of them.

On the other hand, the things I really wanted to discuss was the concern regarding the weight loss, other ideas regarding cross reactions to my confirmed allergies, etc. Suggestions for foods based on "his allergy testings" blah blah blah :ph34r:

As a result, he only wanted to discuss my anaphylactic reaction, and was very concerned with the stuffy nose from my allergies--which is *not* a concern to me. I am more concerned with gluten issues, peanut allergies, etc. So he gave me some free medicine for my stuffy nose...Nice to have the free medicine :) Really? my nose????? AARGH! That is the *least* of my concerns--which I said very clearly to him...But he still wanted me to use the nose medicine.

Unfortunately, I got *NO* answers to my concerns or questions regarding my rashes, or gluten questions. :angry: A friend asked what the doctor said...her recommendation was to find a new one! LOL I am not feeling very optimistic about finding a new doctor that really gets the issues here! In fact, I am presently feeling like what exactly will a doctor tell me at this point that is new?????? That I cannot find here?

I asked regarding gluten/peanut issues...and my other concerns... :ph34r:
But, as many people have discussed, doctors do not have the magic cure--and rarely listen to "our" concerns very well. At least that is what I am feeling today... :huh:

I have gotten so much more info here...Thanks to you all again!!!! :D I think the ranting session is completed!

#100 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Aw heck. Can't you rant better than that? :lol: :lol: :lol: You're allowed to you know. :P

I forget..... did you get an epi pen?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#101 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

If you got an epipen see if you can get a trainer pen to practice too.

We got one for my son and we all know exactly what to do, and have family and friends trained too
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#102 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi Squirmy and Celiac Mindwarp!

I have two epi-pens and a practice one! I have practiced--and so has my hubby--I was told by my doc to use both pens 10 minutes apart--that way it is supposed to work faster! :)

I thought my ranting session was adequate Squirmy--but yes, I am sure if I would have let loose I could have done much better--but I probably would have been "reported" for the language content!! :D

#103 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I thought my ranting session was adequate Squirmy--but yes, I am sure if I would have let loose I could have done much better--but I probably would have been "reported" for the language content!! :D

I had a nice long companion rant regarding docs, allergists and their lack of education/general knowledge with regard to food intolerance all typed up and ready to post yesterday when the plug got pulled on the site...guess it was a good way to shut down my rant :)

Had also asked if you did get epi-pens - glad you have.

Take care

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#104 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi Gotta Ski!

Dog gone it--I would have *loved to see another rant about drs, allergists, etc* I notice the new format here...I miss my emoticons!!
Are they gone???? Or have I just not found them?

Take care!

#105 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

the smileys should be in the top of the box you are typing in with the other font options...I know there has been problems with iPads and maybe others - let me know if you don't have the :) link while you are posting and I'll let you know if I find out new settings or something else to remedy when I find out.

Oh...you can type out a few simple ones:

: ) = :)
: ( = :(
; ) = ;)
: D = :D

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: