169 replies to this topic

#121 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Awwwww DRAT! I forgot about you & the nightshades. :( I have tried eggbeaters in my life ---- blech!
Mushrooms ---- I discovered years ago that I am allergic or at least have a sensitivity to mushrooms. I have never, ever heard of anyone being allergic to mushrooms before. I have never been fond of them & never used them in my own cooking but would not complain if they were in a dish served to me either by friends or while dining out & I did not pick them out but would just eat them. It took me many years to make the connection; many years. But when I eat them I see stars. You know how when you stand up too fast & you get those stars & a bit dizzy? I do that when I eat mushrooms but it's not just when I stand up too fast --- it's when I'm normally walking around. So no shroomies for me although I DO love to smell sauteed mushrooms!
Split pea soup is good on a cold winter day!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#122 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Just what kind of shrooms have you been consuming, seeing stars an' all? :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#123 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Oh Shroomie!

I have to admit I wondered the same thing...I am not sure I want to see stars when I am walking around, getting up, or sitting around! But it is either really interesting shrooms or an allergic reaction! :D

If Squirmy said allergic, then I will accept that! (But you do kind of wonder where those mushrooms are coming from, eh?) :rolleyes:

So Squirmy, (not to talk behind your back) ;) How are you doing? Mushrooms are on my to "try" list-- (the good kind!:)
Are you still on the low iodine diet? I did it meticulously for two weeks--now I am adding eggs (ohhhhhhh, I love my eggs)--but no added salt, etc. Is it helping you?

And, FP, otherwise known as GFinDC--I love split pea soup...is it a requirement to soak them all night???

Me? I'm hanging in there--rashes still hanging around too <_< But not worse, just the ones present get inflammed and make me itch like crazzzzzzzy! Then my *ears* have been itching--for 5 weeks now--changed to pure shampoos, pure lotions, and they still keep reminding me they are ever-present! :rolleyes: I know I have ears, they do not need to remind me. (The flaking off of skin in the shower this am bugged me though)! Will an exterminator help with the bugging problem?????? :lol:

#124 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hah, Squirmy, drat is right! Or something more colorful even. Actually, the Hain mayo works fine, just kind of pricey. So now I am going to have to try Eggbeaters just to see how awful they are. :) No shrooms for you eh? I can hear the soup Nazi now, No shrooms for you! Well, I don't think they make shroom-beaters. Seeing stars is great in Holywood, but not in your dinner! I almost did that today. I drank some lemon tea with soy lecithin in it and went into zombie mode. I thot there couldn't be enuff of it in the tea to cause a problem but it sure did. Recovered after an hour or so tho, so just fine. So long as I don't drink that tea again. I think Shroomie has got your number tho. We may have to ask LJ where she gets these "good" mushrooms she raves about?

So LJ, 2 weeks is a nice start. Yay! But immune reactions can last 2 weeks or more. So you may just be getting to where you are passing a reaction. Could be things will start turning around rash wise. By two months things ought to be getting started on getting somewhere for surely. Of course two years would be a more sure thing. But 6 months is the usual timeilne reccomended before challenging a food intolerance. Six little months, goes by in a flash. :) Are you into knitting or some hobby to pass the time? Maybe try the Eggbeaters?

Oh, the split peas probably don't really need to be soaked. I just soaked them with the beans since I was already doing that. You can just cook the peas straight, but it might take a couple hours if they aren't soaked. The black beans I soak over night or for 6 to 8 hours. You can boil them for 30 mintues and then soak for 2 hours then cook also. That speeds things up. One of these days I'll put some in a crock pot and leave it on to see how they come out.

Lanolin is supposed to be good for skin to keep it moist. My hands and lips used to crack and split every winter, but since gluten-free they don't do that. I doubt an exterminator will do the trick for the bugginess. Maybe a ShadowIceWolfie woud tho. She's our local expert on bug elimination.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#125 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are funny! :lol: :lol: But I assure you the shrooms that I have eaten have all been of the normal, what everyone eats, sold in the grocery store either fresh, canned or in jars kind of mushrooms. The kind everyone uses in spaghetti sauces or for sauteing or in soups, stuffings, or any other dish they make. I will admit I experimented with things in my youth but shrooms was never one of them. I was too scared of those magic shrooms. Even though I had not yet figured out my reaction was to shrooms --- I guess something was protecting me --- some inner voice.

LJ, I am STILL on the low iodine diet. Sometimes I think I may be on it forever & ever. Every time I try a little something with iodine I get a reaction. Gosh, I had one measly little old whole egg several months ago & BAM! dh rash. I eat a slice of cheese or two --- same thing.
I'm sorry you're flaky :P ;). Vanicream is good. And I know that this one Vaseline lotion is gluten-free & works very well for me:
Vaseline intensive rescue repairing moisture body lotion. It's fragrance free (but I can smell it) & hypoallergenic.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#126 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

:lol: We certainly think that we are *quite* humorous Squirmmy! Hmmmm, so the iodine diet has helped you with the rash, eh? :) Good news for you--but it is sooooooo hard to stay on! I am gluten-free--but adding the iodine free is difficult for me! :blink: I miss my eggs. I have tried eggbeaters...to me, kind of like egg whites with yellow... :lol:

FPinDC I do love to knit! How on earth did you guess that one? I have completed one little present for holidays, started another. Two months ago, I couldn't even *think* of knitting because of the rashes on my hands. Progress!!! Yahoooo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do want to add butternut squash. I have one that is cooked--sitting in my fridge. Something in me says no...but I Love butternut squash which tells me it is probably *not* good for me. If I love something too much and crave it--it is not a good sign. Does that sound superstitious? :huh: Has anyone else found that the foods they Craaaaave and Love :wub: are the foods they react to? I swear that is the case for me! (I have been trying to find a way to use that emoticon since I saw it here)!!!! :lol:

Pea soup I am craving. Are peas a legume? I tried some pinto beans three days ago made from the dry ones. Yummy, but it is Not on the iodine diet--in fact a no-no, and I was froggy headed afterward. Maybe they were a cousin to Squirmmy's shrooms?? :D :D

#127 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Oh we are funny alright Squirmy, funny in the head! :) Where's that farm we were supposed to be staying at?

Ah, so a woman who likes knitting. Good stuff there LJ. It's so neat that you can make useful things like that. It's great to make something with your own hands. I've got a nice sweater on right now. They sure make a difference in the winter time.

I wonder if you could test the squash by eating a very small amount? Or maybe just putting a little in your mouth and spitting it out, and waiting to see if there is a reaction? Another person said they scratched themselves with stale wheat bread and that showed a skin rection. I guess a do it yourself scratch test is possible. Shoot, with those knitting needles flying around it may be impossible to avoid! :) Seems like ti would be hard to scratch yourself with a squash tho.

I believe we do crave things that are bad for us. Don't get me started on blonds, we might be here all night! Just kidding. LOL. But that doesn't mean everything we crave is bad for us. I think people sometimes crave foods when they are deficient in vitamins. And of course eating is very habitual for most people. So they tend to want things they are used to any old time. And since we learn to eat as young children i it is a very ingrained thing to expect to eat whatever/whenever. Old habits die hard. Until new ones are formed that is.

I am going to probably try some pumkin again soon. Last time I tried some it was kind of not so great results. Maybe this time it will go better. I have to really watch my sugar intake tho, stuff does a number on me. Maybe pumpkin soup would work. That shouldn't need much in the way of sugar.

Catch you later gators!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#128 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Oh, How I love when I Glut myself....At least that is what I think happened last night. Ugh :ph34r: I had chills, shivering, and dizzy-head. Nauseaus... (sp?) heart racing. Ich. This is not my usual reaction to Glut. One white potato. I doubted it at first, but, now I can only come up with that... Guess they are out. Then a leaky gut this am. Pretty well glutenized I think :(

Oh well. Onward and forward...feel better now. But, uhhhhhh, last night, I went to bed :ph34r: Hiding under the covers helps! :D

I need to knit some more--It is good therapy for me! FPinDC, I do one more hobby--can you guess it? It is musical--my only hint! :lol:

Back to the basics of eating...Pick up some veg's and goodbye for awhile to white taters! In a while, my fellow GFers! (Is that a word?) :lol:

#129 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Oh, How I love when I Glut myself....At least that is what I think happened last night. Ugh :ph34r: I had chills, shivering, and dizzy-head. Nauseaus... (sp?) heart racing.

This is it, exactly.... the way I used to react to lectins (of which potatoes have a lot :( ) For me, eventually it would ultimately lead to a brief faint. I would be frantically swallowing yogurt trying to calm the storm in my gut and make it all go away. But it seems to be a response of the vagus nerve and once set in motion you just have to ride it out, hopefullly without fainting :o I ended up being sensitive to quite a few lectin families, much more than is usual unfortunately, for those who have lectin problems. And yes, if you have a leaky gut you can keep losing more and more foods, found that one out.

If you are not already doing so, I would suggest a really strong probiotic, along with L-glutamine and, if you are having trouble digesting what you do ingest, some digestive enzymes.

And yes, split peas are a legume. I used to love split pea soup with that good smoky ham flavor :wub:

I hope you do not have lectin problems. If you want to read about them, here are some links:

http://www.totalheal...-trouble-maker/
http://www.bmj.com/c...t/318/7190/1023
http://ezinearticles...ction&id=275056
http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#130 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Oh, How I love when I Glut myself....At least that is what I think happened last night. Ugh :ph34r: I had chills, shivering, and dizzy-head. Nauseaus... (sp?) heart racing. Ich. This is not my usual reaction to Glut. One white potato. I doubted it at first, but, now I can only come up with that... Guess they are out. Then a leaky gut this am. Pretty well glutenized I think :(

Oh well. Onward and forward...feel better now. But, uhhhhhh, last night, I went to bed :ph34r: Hiding under the covers helps! :D

I need to knit some more--It is good therapy for me! FPinDC, I do one more hobby--can you guess it? It is musical--my only hint! :lol:

Back to the basics of eating...Pick up some veg's and goodbye for awhile to white taters! In a while, my fellow GFers! (Is that a word?) :lol:

Oh-Oh, the nightahdes are attacking! Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant ftom outerspace! Could be a problem with lectins like Shroomster said. I react to nightshades myself. And not in the common lovey-dovey manner. It is a negatory reaction. But I don't think I have any major problems with other lectiins. Nigthshades seem to be it. Except for the other stuff that is. You could trial the other nightshades one at a time to see if they are a problem. Since it probably wasn't gluten that got ys, it may have been a tatering. Or a nigthshadering. OK, that was a foul one, hold your nose! :)

I'm not sure what all foods have lectins, I know some grains do. Like our favorite wheat. There are probably lots more. So hopefully iti's just nightshades and not lectins. Nightshades have alkaloids in them that can cause problems. That's why they say not to eat the eyes of potatoes because the alkaloids are even higher in the eyes and can cause anyone to be sick. Especially the green eyes. Green eyes in women are ok tho. They use alkaloids as medicines too. Tobacco is a nightshade also.

Well lets see another hobby, something muscial. I can't see drums and knitting going together. Knitting and guitar could work tho. But I am leaning towards violin in this case. What do I get if I am right? Shroomie will probably guess kazoo or some such. And Squirmy will probably guess harp or base.

See, you are learning lots of neat stuff about your body L.J. And it's hard to tell what other interesting things it has to teach you about itself. Quite an adventure eh? :)

Later GFer!

#131 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm thinking piano or flute. Floutist?

I'm sorry the tater got you. I'm off to read about Shroomie's lectins.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#132 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi All!

OK, I have been AWOL for a bit. Hectic new schedule, and my sis visiting until Friday!

So, white potatos are a Nightshade??? I know I can't eat nightshades...Tried a Green Pepper...ugh :ph34r: White potato...ugh :ph34r: My family is beginning to think I am overreacting sometimes--but as we know--the symptoms are very obvious after awhile!!! :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I went shopping! I have lost weight--enough that I had no clothes that fit...Went craazzzzzy...and then did not look at the labels in *all* of the sweaters I bought :blink: What was I thinking?????? Sure enough, I leave the store and start feeling glutted :wacko: I had not eaten a thing...but all the symptoms were there. You know that frantic frenzy feeling of jitteryness???? Then the sweats and ugh :ph34r: Read All the labels--and sure enough, wool was in two of the sweaters I bought--which my rash and arms, hands, torso went craaaazzzzzzy on :( So returning those--and learned yet another lesson. Allergy to wool has been with me for many many years--and I bought two without looking???? Where was my head????

On the good news--I started a "Fat Pill"--otherwise known as Fish Oil. It is a good brand--of which I now cannot remember, but had no citrus, no mango, no flavorings--but oh, we will see. Took it about an hour ago. My skin is so cracked and dry that I feel like a snake shedding it's skin....(That is one visual image)...Thankfully, I am not a snake--a friendly gluten-free woman with blue eyes FP...and yes, played the piano since I was 5 (Squirmy wins that guess) Also, I played the violin from 10 to 18. FP wins that one! :lol: :lol: :lol: So the prize for guessing correctly...hmm....I think you're favorite gluten-free snack that is something decadent but healthy for you!!!! Then, describe what you ate--even if I'm allergic. (If you love avocado--*please* eat it if it's on your safe list--ooh, I can never have guacamole again)....Pea soup or lentil soup would also be on my decadent list! So enjoy knowing you guessed right!!!!!!! :lol:

And Shroomie, looks like I'll be looking into lectins The more knowledge the better tho!!! :P In a bit my gluten-free friends! :D

#133 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi All!

OK, I have been AWOL for a bit. Hectic new schedule, and my sis visiting until Friday!

:rolleyes:

Feed her all the nightshades left in the house and dress her in wool! :D

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#134 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Feed her all the nightshades left in the house and dress her in wool! :D

Oh Kareng!

You really want me to go craazzzzzy in the gluttened way--wrap me tin foil and slather Vanicream on quick! :lol: :lol:
Then send me out to the desert (It is right behind my house--not far to get me there :D ) and a quick death... :D

So Kareng, I did have one more thing that came up--I went to my optometrist, who has said that I have *no* "tears"...she had to squeeze my eyes to get some to show up. Needless to say, no contact lenses anymore :( But she said if I did not start on the "Fat Pills" i.e. Fish Oil... My eyes were going to be permanently damaged. Have you or anyone else heard of this????? Crazzzzzyy! :blink:

But I am feeling good after one whole hour after taking my "fat pill". Yay! I hope I can continue it! :)

Oh, I decided to skip the desert visit Kareng ^_^ :D :lol:

#135 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Running out the door. I'll get back to you on the eye thing. I have the same issues.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: