Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do They Always Do A Biopsy During A Gastroscopy?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I have been told I am going for a gastroscopy and a colonscopy this coming Monday. My celiac blood test isn't even back yet but they are doing these tests to test for "unexplained anemia." My dr is not taking me seriously about the celiac testing as far as I can tell. Anyways I am wondering do they always do a biopsy during a gastroscopy or do I need to specifically ask the dr to do a celiac biopsy. I have already decided I am not going to do these tests if they are not doing a biopsy. It makes absolutely no sense to put me through such invasive tests and not do the biopsy at the same time while they are already in there. I have a call in to my dr but he hasn't phoned me back yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

You need to be very specific with the GI. You would be amazed how many endoscopies are done on patients with your symptoms where they just.... look.... don't even bother to take a sample or two, let alone test them for celiac. The doctor should take at least six biopsies specifically for celiac testing. You must insist on this or they will take one or two, and because the damage is not uniform they can miss it altogether because most of it can only be seen under a microscope. If it can be seen with the naked eye you are positive for sure!!!

Best wishes for Monday. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

How can I make the dr order the biopsy? I am in Ontario so it is paid for by OHIP and I am worried the dr will say that they don't need to do a biopsy. I am not going under a procedure with risks if they aren't going to do the biopsy so I am trying to figure out how to get my dr to order it.

You need to be very specific with the GI. You would be amazed how many endoscopies are done on patients with your symptoms where they just.... look.... don't even bother to take a sample or two, let alone test them for celiac. The doctor should take at least six biopsies specifically for celiac testing. You must insist on this or they will take one or two, and because the damage is not uniform they can miss it altogether because most of it can only be seen under a microscope. If it can be seen with the naked eye you are positive for sure!!!

Best wishes for Monday. :)

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Check out this link (a medical editorial)

http://www.charlotte...r_diagnosis.pdf

where they state:

We recommend that 4 to 6 biopsy specimens be taken from the descending duodenum because villous atrophy in celiac disease can be patchy and orientation of the specimens is variable.

Print this out and give it to him, along with the rest of the information at this link. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Sadly, I think I am going to have to cancel the procedures. I do want to have the biopsy (if I could have even gotten him to order it) but I am an abuse survivor and I have been up panicking all night. Unless they can put me under complete general anesthesia I can't do it. I know they do "conscious sedation" but I have had it before for a different procedure and I was still aware of what was going on the whole time, I just couldn't move or speak. Totally terrifying. Has anyone been successful getting these tests done under GA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: