24 replies to this topic

#16 Lynr

Lynr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have the worst time at night or if I sit on my leather sofa. The head seems to intensify the itch. My doctor asked me if I would do the treatment for scabies and I replied, "Is that due to not enough vegetables"? LOL I agreed to the treatment but no one in my family has 'caught' this rash either.

I agree with the ice treatment. It does seem to calm it somewhat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jlaw

jlaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

I have the worst time at night or if I sit on my leather sofa. The head seems to intensify the itch. My doctor asked me if I would do the treatment for scabies and I replied, "Is that due to not enough vegetables"? LOL I agreed to the treatment but no one in my family has 'caught' this rash either.

I agree with the ice treatment. It does seem to calm it somewhat.

lol!! Lyn, that's scurvy!
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#18 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

lol!! Lyn, that's scurvy!

LOL Just saw your reply. . . yes that is scurvy. My cousin had to tell me that scabies in "regular" folks talk was body lice. :unsure:
I took the treatment, I was desperate. LOL

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#19 mendylou

mendylou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Mine is sooo! much worse at nite. I keep my bedroom temp cool, sleep with only a sheet for cover, and always have my feet uncovered. I try not to scratch but sometimes I can't stop from scratching & then it gets worse.

#20 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Mine is worse evening and night.
Sitting watching telly in an evening - not good.
In the past, before knowing what it was, I tried wearing gloves and putting bits of elastoplast on end of each finger :ph34r: .

#21 Darkfire Ann

Darkfire Ann

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Mine is worse at night and when I wake up. Waking up may not be morning, it may be night, noon or even 8pm. I do not sleep on a regular schedule. Right now it's keeping me up. I tried to sleep. I am three hours after my first upped dose of Dapsone to 100MG. The itch seems to get worse about 3-4 hrs after a dose.

#22 EM-MV

EM-MV

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

It is not just the itching that makes me lose sleep. When I have active DH, I wake up around 3 a.m. even if I'm not itchy. Once I'm awake, I get itchy. I'm wondering if there is a possible hormone/menopause connection with DH emerging in women who have never had gluten-intolerance symptoms before. After more than several years of hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia, now I have slightly different insomnia with DH...but perhaps hormones are a trigger, like stress?

#23 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Someone posted a medical explanation about why dh itches so much worse at night or when we sleep & it does have to do with hormones but not necessarily menopausal hormones.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#24 Darkfire Ann

Darkfire Ann

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I am also menopausal/post menopausal dec 28th marks my 3yr surgery date of my hyster/rso. What I thought were Menopausal symptoms may be low Iron. Some of the temperature issues and flashes can be my low Iron. So I cannot honestly make any sense out of it only to say when the sun goes down the monster wakes up.

#25 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Mine is worse at night and when I wake up. Waking up may not be morning, it may be night, noon or even 8pm. I do not sleep on a regular schedule. Right now it's keeping me up. I tried to sleep. I am three hours after my first upped dose of Dapsone to 100MG. The itch seems to get worse about 3-4 hrs after a dose.

I have been taking Dapsone 50 2x a day. I started eating gluten free and taking Dapsone the same day. I thought I was itching more after the Dapsone was taken but I just kept taking it. It has been 2 full months now and I am so much better! I have an area on my lower back that is itchy right now but nothing like what I was before. My doctor didn't suggest a higher dosage for me.

I did have to take 2 Benedryl every night. I also kept the a/c cool and used ice packs. I now only take 1 anti-histamine and not every day. Good luck!

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: