2 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

im spending a week with a girl im seeing in Paris the week of xmas/new yrs - her and i love food and we always go to great places. thing is Paris may be tricky with the gluten issue. I managed to survive in Germany for 3 weeks and ate out all the time so i think i can do it again in Paris. my question is are there any supplements i can take to protect my gut? - im sure im gonna get gluten in me when im out there, maybe even daily, but will obviously keep it to a minimum. I usually take digestive enzymes, probiotics, activated charcoal and N-acetyl glucosamine for gut support as well as milk thistle for liver protection. is there anything else I can take may offer protection?
thanks
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Not a celiac answer, but watch your wallet on the Metro!

Can you find a translation card to hand to waiters/chefs?

It is a fantastic city, I hope you get some good advice
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Try using restaurant cards, and also look up some common french foods so you can kind of figure out what is likely to be safe ahead of time. I was recently in France and Belgium, and I ate a lot of grilled steak, steamed/grilled fish and shellfish, french fries, and salad. I had them leave off all the sauces, and I didn't have any gluten issues at all over there.

Also, there's a gluten free bakery/pastry shop in Paris now. It just opened last year. It's called Helmut Newcake, and it's right off one of the metro stops so it's easy to find. Owner has celiac and speaks English. They also do small meals you can eat there or get to go.

http://www.yelp.com/...newcake-paris-2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: