This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Under The Age Of 25?

inducedjoy

inducedjoy Newbie

Hi all!

I've noticed that most people on this forum are well over the 25 age mark, but I'm curious to see if there are any younger people on the forum. I'm only 19, and although I find the advice and friendliness of all users to be extremely helpful and welcoming, I would like to talk to someone my own age who is going through this. Someone who knows what it's like to miss school because of celiac issues, or who understand how hard it is to explain your special diet to a potential boyfriend or new friends who weren't there during your diagnosis. Perhaps someone who hasn't dealt with being gluten free for 20+ years or who doesn't have a houseful of kids to feed, because I just can't relate to scenarios like that.

SO! If you're a pretty young person on the forums, let's talk! I've never met anyone my own age with celiac disease, and I'm curious to see how others have dealt with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvrdeo Apprentice

I'm a few years past 25 (not quite 30 lol), but can 100% relate to what you're going through! I've gone mis-diagnosed since high school, where I repeatedly got sent home for "anxiety attacks" which I now suspect were the beginning stages of celiac. I just got diagnosed 2 months ago, and on Monday got dairy, grains, and corn taken away on top of the gluten. There is nothing easy about this! Luckily for me, one of my best friends is also celiac, so I've had someone who's brain I could pick. The rest of the time, I try to relate on here...and like you, sometimes certain scenarios just don't fit my life at all!

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'm 22 if that helps any.

But, yep, it stinks when doctors and who have you don't listen to ya.

lisasanner22 Newbie

Age 17. ive been gluten-free for 5 years and i know what you mean by missing school and trying to tell your boyfriend or anyone for that matter that you cant eat this or that.. it really gets annoying after a while. you want people to understand but they dont.. i figured the best thing is to explain it like an allergy. and to be honest i told my boyfriend before i even started to date him that i was gluten free and he asked about it and it was hard to explain it to him because its like how do you explain so much to them in so little time. like to start with and that was hard, but i was glad i told him first that way i new later on that hes not leaving me for someone else because of celiac. and with missing school it happens at first and there is nothing you can do because you feel like crap or your throughing up or something. but the longer your on the gluten-free diet you realize that you dont really get sick anymore. in the past 3 and 1/2 to 4 years i havnt missed a day of school and thats because i totally live a gluten free diet and once my body got adjusted and is getting the nutrients now. my body is "back to normal" yes there will be changes but its life. and i hope this helped. but going to pray the best for you, if thats okay. i know that has helped me with so much!! Lisa <3

Hi all!

I've noticed that most people on this forum are well over the 25 age mark, but I'm curious to see if there are any younger people on the forum. I'm only 19, and although I find the advice and friendliness of all users to be extremely helpful and welcoming, I would like to talk to someone my own age who is going through this. Someone who knows what it's like to miss school because of celiac issues, or who understand how hard it is to explain your special diet to a potential boyfriend or new friends who weren't there during your diagnosis. Perhaps someone who hasn't dealt with being gluten free for 20+ years or who doesn't have a houseful of kids to feed, because I just can't relate to scenarios like that.

SO! If you're a pretty young person on the forums, let's talk! I've never met anyone my own age with celiac disease, and I'm curious to see how others have dealt with it.

hottati Newbie

Hey!

I am also 19 and have never met anyone else with Celiac. I have only been diagnosed for about a year and a half now and it is definitely a challenge when trying to go out to eat with friends (or like you said explaining to potential boyfriends). It would definitely be nice to have someone who understands to talk to.

inducedjoy Newbie

If anyone wants to talk, my email is aviola93@gmail.com. Shoot me a message and maybe we can chat on fb!

• 2 weeks later...
hagermeister11 Newbie

Newly diagnosed here. 21 years old. After years of all kinds of issues, I finally went in for testing last week. I really didn't know what I would be getting myself into with changing my diet so drastically, but honestly, it isn't as bad as I figured it would be. I understand I'm still rather fresh on the change, but I do feel a bit better already. I'm sleeping better, I have more energy, no more headaches, and my outlook on life is back to where it used to be. I'm excited to keep up the changes and see how much better I feel after a few months.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AshBil Rookie

Hey there! I'm 20 and was just diagnosed two weeks ago exactly. It only took over 3 months for them to figure out why I was constantly nauseous and bloated. That nausea will be the death of me. It still likes to pop up on me and destroy my whole night even when I'm eating something I know is positively gluten free. But, I've only been gluten free for two weeks so I gotta give it some time. I was lucky enough to already be with my boyfriend for four months when this all started. He went with me to every appointment and every trip to the ER thinking I had appendicits or a heart attack (started having terrible chest pains with a racing heart, tingling and numbness in my right hand and foot and vomiting). So I didn't have to explain much to him since he was always there. And now we're at 8 months together and he helps me look at labels and do research. He's the greatest. I had an edoscopy and blood tests done all in September. Blood tests were actully normal except for one that he said wasn't always accurate but the biopsy from the endoscopy showed signs of it plus I have the gene for it too. So I'm still in my beginning stages here but I'm hopeful that I'll feel better soon because I'm not feeling much different with the constant nausea. It's be great to talk to someone my age with this considering the only person I know who does have it is my mom's best friend since elementary school!

• 1 year later...
Hobbes Rookie

Hi all!

I can definitely relate to how you feel. I've never met anyone my own age (or any age!) who has celiac. I'm pretty fortunate though because my girlfriend is very understanding, and won't even touch anything with gluten. I'm 20 btw, working as an intern at 2 different places this summer and it's been quite the challenge so far.  

• 11 months later...
pghkid33 Rookie

Hi all!

Not sure if you'll read this, but I'm 23 and I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a few friends that have Celiac, but they're not super close to me (both in terms of friendship and proximity) so we don't really talk to much. I'd love to have someone else to talk to, other than damn doctors or nutritionists haha. I know what it's like to miss school, or work, or social gatherings (it sucks). I'm on here a good bit, feel free to shoot me a msg

• 3 weeks later...
MissMusician Newbie

Hey InducedJoy!

I completely understand what you're going through. 20yo F and my two celiac family members are the only celiacs I know in real life (but one family member lives an hour away and the other doesn't get symptoms so she doesn't take it seriously, while I am super sensitive). It's been almost a year since my celiac diagnosis and I've been gluten free/dairy free ever since, but still getting sick. Missing class because of symptoms is such a pain, not to mention having to miss social events too. Don't even get me started on dating! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me! Good luck with everything!  :)

• 5 months later...
MissL101 Newbie

Hey! I'm Lisa Marie and I'm about to turn 22.

I'm still in the pre-stages of being actually diagnosed but since I went gluten free I'm feeling better. This stinks since now I have to be conscious about the places my friends want to go. Plus side: Gluten free cookies from publix = the bomb.com

• 10 months later...
katesyl Apprentice
On October 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM, inducedjoy said:

I am twenty-five now. I was diagnosed at age twenty-two. 

Archived