#1 inducedjoy

inducedjoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hi all!

I've noticed that most people on this forum are well over the 25 age mark, but I'm curious to see if there are any younger people on the forum. I'm only 19, and although I find the advice and friendliness of all users to be extremely helpful and welcoming, I would like to talk to someone my own age who is going through this. Someone who knows what it's like to miss school because of celiac issues, or who understand how hard it is to explain your special diet to a potential boyfriend or new friends who weren't there during your diagnosis. Perhaps someone who hasn't dealt with being gluten free for 20+ years or who doesn't have a houseful of kids to feed, because I just can't relate to scenarios like that.

SO! If you're a pretty young person on the forums, let's talk! I've never met anyone my own age with celiac disease, and I'm curious to see how others have dealt with it.
"If only we were brave enough to live the lives we stole, what a wonderful world this could be."

Diagnosed 1/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

I'm a few years past 25 (not quite 30 lol), but can 100% relate to what you're going through! I've gone mis-diagnosed since high school, where I repeatedly got sent home for "anxiety attacks" which I now suspect were the beginning stages of celiac. I just got diagnosed 2 months ago, and on Monday got dairy, grains, and corn taken away on top of the gluten. There is nothing easy about this! Luckily for me, one of my best friends is also celiac, so I've had someone who's brain I could pick. The rest of the time, I try to relate on here...and like you, sometimes certain scenarios just don't fit my life at all!
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

I'm 22 if that helps any.

But, yep, it stinks when doctors and who have you don't listen to ya.

#4 lisasanner22

lisasanner22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Age 17. ive been gluten-free for 5 years and i know what you mean by missing school and trying to tell your boyfriend or anyone for that matter that you cant eat this or that.. it really gets annoying after a while. you want people to understand but they dont.. i figured the best thing is to explain it like an allergy. and to be honest i told my boyfriend before i even started to date him that i was gluten free and he asked about it and it was hard to explain it to him because its like how do you explain so much to them in so little time. like to start with and that was hard, but i was glad i told him first that way i new later on that hes not leaving me for someone else because of celiac. and with missing school it happens at first and there is nothing you can do because you feel like crap or your throughing up or something. but the longer your on the gluten-free diet you realize that you dont really get sick anymore. in the past 3 and 1/2 to 4 years i havnt missed a day of school and thats because i totally live a gluten free diet and once my body got adjusted and is getting the nutrients now. my body is "back to normal" yes there will be changes but its life. and i hope this helped. but going to pray the best for you, if thats okay. i know that has helped me with so much!! Lisa <3

Hi all!

I've noticed that most people on this forum are well over the 25 age mark, but I'm curious to see if there are any younger people on the forum. I'm only 19, and although I find the advice and friendliness of all users to be extremely helpful and welcoming, I would like to talk to someone my own age who is going through this. Someone who knows what it's like to miss school because of celiac issues, or who understand how hard it is to explain your special diet to a potential boyfriend or new friends who weren't there during your diagnosis. Perhaps someone who hasn't dealt with being gluten free for 20+ years or who doesn't have a houseful of kids to feed, because I just can't relate to scenarios like that.

SO! If you're a pretty young person on the forums, let's talk! I've never met anyone my own age with celiac disease, and I'm curious to see how others have dealt with it.

#5 hottati

hottati

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hey!
I am also 19 and have never met anyone else with Celiac. I have only been diagnosed for about a year and a half now and it is definitely a challenge when trying to go out to eat with friends (or like you said explaining to potential boyfriends). It would definitely be nice to have someone who understands to talk to.

#6 inducedjoy

inducedjoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

If anyone wants to talk, my email is aviola93@gmail.com. Shoot me a message and maybe we can chat on fb!
"If only we were brave enough to live the lives we stole, what a wonderful world this could be."

Diagnosed 1/2011

#7 hagermeister11

hagermeister11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Newly diagnosed here. 21 years old. After years of all kinds of issues, I finally went in for testing last week. I really didn't know what I would be getting myself into with changing my diet so drastically, but honestly, it isn't as bad as I figured it would be. I understand I'm still rather fresh on the change, but I do feel a bit better already. I'm sleeping better, I have more energy, no more headaches, and my outlook on life is back to where it used to be. I'm excited to keep up the changes and see how much better I feel after a few months.

#8 AshBil

AshBil

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hey there! I'm 20 and was just diagnosed two weeks ago exactly. It only took over 3 months for them to figure out why I was constantly nauseous and bloated. That nausea will be the death of me. It still likes to pop up on me and destroy my whole night even when I'm eating something I know is positively gluten free. But, I've only been gluten free for two weeks so I gotta give it some time. I was lucky enough to already be with my boyfriend for four months when this all started. He went with me to every appointment and every trip to the ER thinking I had appendicits or a heart attack (started having terrible chest pains with a racing heart, tingling and numbness in my right hand and foot and vomiting). So I didn't have to explain much to him since he was always there. And now we're at 8 months together and he helps me look at labels and do research. He's the greatest. I had an edoscopy and blood tests done all in September. Blood tests were actully normal except for one that he said wasn't always accurate but the biopsy from the endoscopy showed signs of it plus I have the gene for it too. So I'm still in my beginning stages here but I'm hopeful that I'll feel better soon because I'm not feeling much different with the constant nausea. It's be great to talk to someone my age with this considering the only person I know who does have it is my mom's best friend since elementary school!
"There's just one life to live and there's no time to waste!"

Let's all gang up and kick gluten in the butt!

#9 CeliacBanker

CeliacBanker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi all!

I can definitely relate to how you feel. I've never met anyone my own age (or any age!) who has celiac. I'm pretty fortunate though because my girlfriend is very understanding, and won't even touch anything with gluten. I'm 20 btw, working as an intern at 2 different places this summer and it's been quite the challenge so far.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: