Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Had My First Pity Party Last Night

12 posts in this topic

Had my first pity party last night at the fair. We have a HUGE fair that comes once a year and thats when I splurged and get straight up junk. Well I couldn't have a thing last night. Thats been the only time in the past 2 months where Ive really felt the blow to the gut (no pun intended :P ) with the gluten free life. I didn't give in though, and Im proud of myself for that. I have done so well that I give myself a pat on the back. Figured I'd come here and whine for a minute just cause yall understand.

Ads by Google:

Well done! So hard, but so worth it. If it were me, I'd totally treat myself to a gluten-free treat because "everyone else had their fun, and now I deserve mine!"

You should be proud of yourself!

Wish I could tell you it won't happen again, but it will. Good news it does get much easier and after some time you may find it very rare. My pity parties are very infrequent and revolve around jealousy that others can eat without preparing in advance, rather than being jealous of the gluten containing food they are eating.

Make sure you bring gluten-free junk food or sweet treats along to any future events where you know there will be treats all around you - preemptive strikes work the best for me :)

Good for you! Temptation all around you but you didn't give in!

I have a friend here who isn't so good at resisting temptation. She told me yesterday that for the past SIX MONTHS she has been eating pasta and bread! Her DH is unbearable, her stomach is so bloated she looks pregnant, her diabetes is getting worse, and her eyesight and hearing are too. Yet STILL she can't stop!

We all have choices to make and you made the right one, for you and for those who love you. I think you deserve more than just a gluten-free treat. I think you should treat yourself to a concert or a ballgame or whatever else might be your passion. :)

Withdrawl and its months afterward are fun, no?

Its annoying sometimes. I checked out the new eatery on campus (supposably had gluten free stuff) and found naught a thing. Oh well.

look at it this way, when you make your goodies yourself, there is some sort of pride thing going on there.

It does suck. Fairs are hard for me too, all the smells and BOY did I love me some fried dough. A lot of people can at least get the fries from a fry booth at a fair, but they're always fried in peanut oil so I can't even have those. I've tried to train myself to remember that when I get home I'm gonna feel a WHOLE lot better than all those people! And that's worth more in the end. :D

Yall are so awesome with your words of encouragement. I feel sorry for my hubby. He is so supportive and feels so bad for me that he won't get anything. No matter how much I beg him to do so. Maybe that will get better in time too. At least there are some treats I still allow myself. I have found that dairy bloats me up, so I limit that as much as my sweet tooth will allow. :)

You should give yourself another pat on the back! You done GOOD, real good! In time your hubby will adjust too. I think some extra special treats have been earned by both you & hubby.

I found lots of gluten-free fair food at ours in August. They had taco in a bag (open fritos and put in taco stuff) I made them show me the seasoning and it was McCormick and safe. They had snow cones and cotton candy. Oh and don't forget chocolate covered bacon. Ha! Seriously! I skipped on that! The only thing my dd really wanted was a funnel cake. But she still had plenty of overpriced junk. Go back and redo!

Bonus!! All those 1000's of calories you saved!

Hi TctWhite!

Congrats on making it through the fair without giving in to the "poison" around you! :) That's what I call the food that I can't eat--poison--cause for me, I feel poisoned!

You did great! I agree with earlier posts--reward yourself with some healthy safe foods, and always take some of your yummy snacks when going anywhere there is food! :P No feelings of deprivation then! :)

Good for you! I know the feeling, I went to a dear friend's wedding last month and couldn't eat a thing during three days of receptions, dinners and the wedding itself. I did lose a few unwanted pounds though :D