8 replies to this topic

#1 inducedjoy

inducedjoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have tried looking into other posts on here about the relation between lupus and celiac disease, but it seems as though every one I click on, it turns into a conversation about something else.

Has anyone on here been diagnosed with celiac disease before being diagnosed with lupus? I have a strong feeling I may have lupus because it runs in my family, and in the last six months, I have noticed some things that lead me to believe I may have it.

If you were diagnosed with lupus after your celiac diagnosis, how long was it after the fact? What lead you to being tested for lupus?
Also, if anyone has scholarly articles or medical publications they can point me towards regarding the subject, it would be greatly appreciated!
"If only we were brave enough to live the lives we stole, what a wonderful world this could be."

Diagnosed 1/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lil'chefy

lil'chefy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have tried looking into other posts on here about the relation between lupus and celiac disease, but it seems as though every one I click on, it turns into a conversation about something else.

Has anyone on here been diagnosed with celiac disease before being diagnosed with lupus? I have a strong feeling I may have lupus because it runs in my family, and in the last six months, I have noticed some things that lead me to believe I may have it.

If you were diagnosed with lupus after your celiac diagnosis, how long was it after the fact? What lead you to being tested for lupus?
Also, if anyone has scholarly articles or medical publications they can point me towards regarding the subject, it would be greatly appreciated!

I have celiac disease (dermatitis herpetiformus)and often when I have gotten a blood test, I have all the markers for lupus, but when they do the lupus panel, I don't have it. I googled "lupus and celiac" and tons of articles popped up.

#3 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

I had a positive blood test for lupus but the doctor didn't think I have . I did the test with a Rheumatologist while they were trying to figure my back problems out . I looked at lupus sites I have a few of the symptoms mentioned but I doubt the doctor would diagnose me with it . I tested positive to 2 other conditions but wasn't diagnosed with either .
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

I am in the process of checking out the possibilty that I have lupus. I was diagnosed celiac just 4 months ago and with Hashimoto's 2 months (although I suspect I've had them since babyhood and my early 20's). I started looking into lupus after being gluten-free for many months and beginning treatment for hypothyroidism when I had a "flare" of symptoms. I decised to look back through my medical records to see what else my doctors missed, specifically from when I was in my early 20's and had my first arthritic like flare. I started looking into symptoms and their connections to tests and came up with these things that worried me (many in the 11 criteria for diagnosing lupus):

• 1:160 speckled ANA (20 and 15 years ago - had this recently rechecked and it's a negative at 1:80)
  • Autoimmune thrombocyptopenia purapura (ITP) and a splenectomy
  • arthritic flares - start with a flu/fever like feeling, big fatigue and arthritis and stiffness in joints
  • mouth ulcers - I have no idea if these are the type in the diagnostic criteria
  • rosaecea or malar rash - I have roseacea but who knows, it could be more... doubt it... I hope

Lots of other little things too like general fatigue, hair loss and GI issues that I'm pretty sure the Hashi's and celiac are responsible for. At this point I'm hoping undertreated hypothyroidism and a healing GI tract are to blame for my problems. Fingers crossed...

I have had other (lupus) tests run and should know the results in a couple of days. So far I've had (another) negative RF, low ESR, normal C3, and a mildly low C4... nothing unusual. I'm waiting on an ENA panel which tests for more specific antibodies to lupus.

If you think it's lupus, you might as well start the diagnostic process. It's not a very cut and dried path to get a diagnosis so you might as well get the ball rolling so you'll have answers sooner. Good luck.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 megsybeth

megsybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'm curious about this too. My aunt and cousin both have lupus and we all have very similar genetic traits (though i don't know if that's a reason we would share these particular genes, just we look alike, sound alike, compared to the rest of the family). I've never had the typical rashes associated with lupus but I've always had back pain. I'm still processing this diagnosis, though, and hoping not to deal with another.

#6 erinrezner

erinrezner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I have been sick my whole life. In 2009 I was diagnosed with Celiac. After a few years with only so much improvement we found out this past year (2012) I aslo have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (overlap of Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus & Sjogren's), so yes, you can have both.

Autoimmune Diseases rarely come to the party alone.

#7 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

As a person with 4 AI diseases, this quote made me laugh.....how very true it is! ;)

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Brilliant!

I have a few and my daughter's total recently jumped to six.

Thanks for the giggle Erin :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 juul

juul

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

My dad was diagnosed with celiac in 1987. I wasn't tested till he was dying (not one doctor said to test me). I have celiac. He had lupus, too. My regular doctor just told me to go to the rheumatologist because my b/w is elevated for lupus. I am scared. In the last few years I have had about 5 attacks where I could barely move out of the bed. I think it might be fibromyalgia but we shall see. I am sure a it of tests will be coming my way. I finally had a clear endoscopy last spring and now this. I've been gluten free since 2005 I believe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: