This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Girlfriend Making Me Sick And Dont Know Why

deals88

deals88 Rookie

I missed reading the brand and scent of underarm deodorant/antipersperant.

I was glutening myself from Ban Sweet Surrender, which had barley in it. That would be rubbing all over shirts and possibly long hair. I honestly didn't believe it could make me sick, but when I switched to a safe product I wasn't getting sick.

Interesting how you say it would be in the hair? Like i said in OP i just have strange feeling its her hair. The product she uses is dove pomegranate and lemon verbena, like i really should be avoiding any extravagant names i think. Even the shower gel has chamomile and jojoba oil just seems like having plain non fancy stuff would be an easier life. Thx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mushroom Proficient

Interesting how you say it would be in the hair? Like i said in OP i just have strange feeling its her hair. The product she uses is dove pomegranate and lemon verbena, like i really should be avoiding any extravagant names i think. Even the shower gel has chamomile and jojoba oil just seems like having plain non fancy stuff would be an easier life. Thx

I haven't checked lately, but I believe all Dove products are gluten free (maybe there are exceptions?)

mommida Enthusiast

When I was younger my hair was down to my waist. So longer hair would come into contact with underarm deodorant.

If some one doesn't wear deodorant, it seems to me that the odor is all over their clothes. YUCK!

deals88 Rookie

I haven't checked lately, but I believe all Dove products are gluten free (maybe there are exceptions?)

I thought i read that before a swell, i suppose if they are that aware they will have no problem giving me a solid answer hopefully.

deals88 Rookie

When I was younger my hair was down to my waist. So longer hair would come into contact with underarm deodorant.

If some one doesn't wear deodorant, it seems to me that the odor is all over their clothes. YUCK!

Well im thinking if its in her hair and her hair will be in my mouth at some point that cant be good.

weluvgators Explorer

Since you suspect hair, I wanted to share a bit of our experience. We have found hair products to be suspect on many occasions, but we have also had our share of problems with people who are in high risk environments, like pancake house, pizza parlour, drywall work, so potential airborne exposure that settle in hair. So you may also want to consider if she is working in a flour environment (even baking at home). I assume you would have mentioned it, but that type of exposure has certainly caught us before. Good luck figuring it out, and try to be patient with the sleuthing. We have asked people to simply minimise product use when interacting with us (we have had to ask caregivers that work closely with our gluten hypersensitive kids). Another one that caught us was a carer that was playing with her dogs before visiting us, as many (dare I say most) pet foods contain gluten.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

All Dove products are not gluten free. What they are is a Unilever product, and they state that they will give the origin of ingredients. For instance some Dove shampoo's will state hydrolysed wheat protein as an ingredient.

Open Original Shared Link

Hydrolyzed wheat protein is an ingredient in at least one: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Thanks for the correction, Steph.

joolsjewels Newbie

If your girlfriend has to change makeup, clinique is a good option. I call them and ask about each individual product that i use. They always tell me what allergens are present in each product. They do not claim to be Gluten-Free, but none of the things i use have turned out to contain gluten. Some do have soy, but that does not bother me. The hotline numbers are 1-800-419-4041 and 1-866-707-2100. The are very helpful.

deals88 Rookie

Since you suspect hair, I wanted to share a bit of our experience. We have found hair products to be suspect on many occasions, but we have also had our share of problems with people who are in high risk environments, like pancake house, pizza parlour, drywall work, so potential airborne exposure that settle in hair. So you may also want to consider if she is working in a flour environment (even baking at home). I assume you would have mentioned it, but that type of exposure has certainly caught us before. Good luck figuring it out, and try to be patient with the sleuthing. We have asked people to simply minimise product use when interacting with us (we have had to ask caregivers that work closely with our gluten hypersensitive kids). Another one that caught us was a carer that was playing with her dogs before visiting us, as many (dare I say most) pet foods contain gluten.

Hey thx for taking time to say this. Shes a student and works in bar part time but she always has a shower before i see her so i guess i can rule out any enviromental factor for the moment. Interesting about your carer i now will make her wash her hands before approaching my skin lol. I just need a day of seeing her without a reaction for some hope its all going to be sorted.

deals88 Rookie

If your girlfriend has to change makeup, clinique is a good option. I call them and ask about each individual product that i use. They always tell me what allergens are present in each product. They do not claim to be Gluten-Free, but none of the things i use have turned out to contain gluten. Some do have soy, but that does not bother me. The hotline numbers are 1-800-419-4041 and 1-866-707-2100. The are very helpful.

Hey this is strange i was just thinking today as i was using my clinique products that they would be a trustworthy brand. There is also a clinique section in a boots near me where i think they may have all the ingredients. I will def be checking this out. Thx

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Origins (same company as Clinique) labels their products with source and in "plain English".

deals88 Rookie

So got reply today about Rimmel product and the NYE make up:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Rimmel & NYC Eye Pencils.

We can confirm that neither of these products have gluten added to them but we can not guarantee that the individual ingredients have not come in contact with gluten at any point.

Kind regards

Philippa Vant

Consumer Affairs Officer

Coty UK

What should i take from this? Should i just remove it for now and be cautious are is this a good sign they don't contain gluten?

deals88 Rookie

Got this link from P&G if anyone ever wants specif info on their products Open Original Shared Link If you look hard enough you can a very detailed chemical list of certain products.

I found the following in an Aerial product though not the specific one i was looking for:

Glycerides, wheat germ-oil mono-, di- and tri- Wheat, ext.

I emailed asking were these harmful to us, they say wheat so doesn't look appealing.

joolsjewels Newbie

I also contacted Biolage about their hair products. Some contain soy. Some clearly state on the website that they contain wheat. I have asked about other specific products that i use via email. They are prompt in their responses and give concise answers. The ones i use do not contain gluten. Hope that gives you another hair care option.

catsmeow Contributor

Does she floss her teeth as well as brush them? Could bits of gluten be stuck in her teeth?

deals88 Rookie

Does she floss her teeth as well as brush them? Could bits of gluten be stuck in her teeth?

Heyy, she doesnt floss but she doesnt have any gaps in her teeth? Would this matter. I literally floss after every meal maybe it should be a team activity lol. If flossing was the answer after all this lol i may scream

catsmeow Contributor

Heyy, she doesnt floss but she doesnt have any gaps in her teeth? Would this matter. I literally floss after every meal maybe it should be a team activity lol. If flossing was the answer after all this lol i may scream

I actually read about this 3 years ago in the book "The Gluten Free Bible" and remembered it. I dug the book out today and reread it. It's chapter 13 "Sex and the Celiac". It's a story about a man who gets sick from his non celiac wheat eating girlfriend. However, the book spells it out all romantic like. Here's the last paragraph of the story:

"Does Theresa floss and brush her teeth" Byrons mother asked her embarrassed son.

"Ma!"

"Well, does she?

"What about her beauty products. they could be making you sick"

Byron was emabarrassed, but promised his mother he would talk to his girlfriend.

Byron explained to Theresa that he was getting sick everytime they got together.

Out went her old cosmetics. In came new gluten free hypo-allergenic lotions, creams,make-up, and pretty new lipsticks that did not change Byron's desire to kiss her. With a lifetime supply of dental floss, and his and hers electric toothbrushes, the young couple found an unlikely and surprising sexy source of togetherness. Teresa washes washes carefully after touching unsafe foods and they have been known to shower together to avoid wasting water and time.

As far as I know, there were no more gluteny incidents and in the spring, Byron proposed, presenting Teresa with a modest diamond solitair she wears with pride. As soon as they finish their degrees, they will have a big fat gluten free wedding and honeymoon in Tesesa's Italian ancestrial village where much brushing, flossing and kissing will go on. The moral is this: not everything you put in your mouth is food. When you are a celiac, the concept of being lovesick takes on a whole new meaning. "Not that there is anything wrong with that" as Jerry Seinfeldt is so fond of saying.

As long as you play it safe, thee is no reason you can't play"

The chapter goes on and on with specifics on cosmetics and hygene before intimacy. It's a pretty long chapter.

The story in the beginning about Teresa and Byron kind of sound like a romance novel.....HAHAHA. but then it gets down to the business of making sure you don't get sick and how to achieve that.

I think it's time to read this book again, I was skimming through it and I think I can learn from it even now, after 3 years..

• 2 months later...
Shell156 Apprentice

Hey! I know this topic is old but I thought I'd put in my two cents :-)

I am super, super sensitive and one of the worst glutenings I have ever had was from my hair conditioner. When I read the ingredients, there was actually wheat protein on there! After that I threw out all my personal care products and just bought gluten free ones.

So if your girlfriend is having a shower BEFORE she sees you she might be glutening her hair!

I love desert essence organics. They smell yummy and are 100% gluten free.

Did you ever find out what was making you sick?

• 2 weeks later...
TiffanyKatherine Newbie

Hey thx for taking time to answer. No we dont go out for dinner anymore till ive sorted all this. I eat the same food every day and the same portions everything's weighted etc this is for my gym training. Its 100 percent not me since i keep getting a string of good days till i see her and yes its every time i see her.

I make her brush her teeth here and wash her hands once she gets in and i dont think its paranoid at all i wash my hands at least 18 times a day and never put them in my mouth. All the same care products my day basically doesn't change in routine. No new food or products.

I get this weird sense its something in her hair buts its really just a feeling. I thing i have a list were wud be the best place to post it? thx again

I have had to switch all shampoo/conditioner and shower gel. I am now looking into make-up too.

• 2 weeks later...
rymorg2 Newbie

I have used MAC in the past and that's probably a good portion of it. I suspect their vit e is not gluten free because I have used products that they say are gluten-free and reacted. I also suspect cross contamination. I feel your pain....luckily my husband uses what I buy so I'm fairly safe.

• 2 weeks later...
cavernio Enthusiast

I don't understand why your gluten-free hasn't stopped wearing make-up, spray tans, and body spray when she's going to see you.

• 6 months later...
deals88 Rookie

Hey! I know this topic is old but I thought I'd put in my two cents :-)

I am super, super sensitive and one of the worst glutenings I have ever had was from my hair conditioner. When I read the ingredients, there was actually wheat protein on there! After that I threw out all my personal care products and just bought gluten free ones.

So if your girlfriend is having a shower BEFORE she sees you she might be glutening her hair!

I love desert essence organics. They smell yummy and are 100% gluten free.

Did you ever find out what was making you sick?

Hey this is a bit late lol to say the least. Yes we found a few things omg that was a furstrating time we would fight alot, anyway she was using radox bodywash which had Camolile in it. I must of spelt that wrong but that was a really bad encounter when i ingested that, and also her M.A.C blusher but most her make up Clinique now and the sentivity has went down i think. Sorry to hear your super sensitive i think im pretty bad aswell but i did eat out recently and not get sick that was a nice suprise.

I have had to switch all shampoo/conditioner and shower gel. I am now looking into make-up too.

How did u get on with your make up? I still remember a few that were ok if ur still looking.

deals88 Rookie

I just made a thread to thank all members who have given me advice and i especially appriecate all the feedback for this thread helped narrow down

that long process. Thx

• 9 months later...
Austin Guy Contributor

I can't remember the university, but there was a study done about how long allergens transfer via saliva after eating.  It was determined that someone kissing a person who ate something the other person is allergic to can remain in saliva for over 4 hours after eating, flossing and brushing teeth.  So gluten may be transferring to you when you kiss your girlfriend.  Is it practical to ask somone not to eat for 5 hours before seeing you?  Don't know.

Archived