50 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

I think you are correct and can cross off the Mess Head product.

Aquafresh is safe.

The item I suspect on your list is the MAC makeup. I didn't use this exact foundation, but did use another of their foundations and it was not safe. I can't remember the problem ingredient, but do remember it took me a while to find out it wasn't gluten free. That was also over three years ago, so they may have changed their ingredients.

Just a warning...try to verify it with MAC before you mention to your girlfriend - I didn't wear foundation often and even I was extremely ticked off to lose my MAC - it is very tough for women to find just the right foundation.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Least were getting somewhere, ive now emailed every company about all the products so hopefully have some answers by mid week. Hey Ski i spoke to a mac artist today via live chat and she said there might be wheat in the Mac skin finish natural powder so i emailed them and have a phone number to ring on mondday.

That may be a problem lol ive already told her its prob going to have to go. I will pay for all her new make up i still understand though it can be hard to find the right make up. I thought MAC was meant to be one of the better companies its so frustrating. Thx ski

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

That must have been a fun talk :unsure:

Great detective work...make sure you emphasize all the products she'll still be able to use in the next discussion.

If you really end up in the dog house you could offer to take her shopping for a replacement - not just pay for it - of course if she takes you up on it be careful - the other women at the make-up counter may try to clone you ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#19 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Haha none of it has been.

I was thinking that would be a good idea maybe some shoes as well as make up, hahaha wasnt expecting that. Currently its only 4 items below sure she can handle that

PALMERS VITAMIN E GONE!

MAC MINERALISDD AND BLUSHER LIKELY TO GO

NYC MASERCA LIKLEY TO GO

RADOX GONE AND BODYSPRAY

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

below is a list of chemicals that would inditace gluten if anyone doesnt already know them
i found them on one of the forum pages its not my research.

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour
Cyclodextrin
Dextrin
Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Malt Extract
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour
Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer
Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch
Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch
Wheat Amino Acids
Wheat Germ Glycerides
Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride
Wheat Protein
Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate
Yeast Extract

Most of those items do indicate gluten. I have bolded four that may or may not contain gluten, depending on the source.

Wheat germ oil is often found in beauty products and may be labeled as tocopherol (vitamin E).

Wheat germ oil contains tocopherol, but the terms are not synonymous. There is much more than tocopherol in wheat germ oil. It would be incorrect to use the term tocopherol to label wheat germ oil--like using "sugar" to describe grape juice.

Tocopherol, when listed by that name, is a highly refined product which may be extracted from a variety of sources. The Canadian Celiac Association lists tocopherol as safe in food, without qualification.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hey Psawyer, thx for bolding those items though i haven't even seen any of those chemicals in the products i am investigating or i could eliminate them.

That was well described, ive been reading around and alot of people seem to be wary of Tocoherol/Vitamin E in their products. I see but does that apply to all beauty products also. I emailed the company and asked them what source is it derived from. You seem to have good knowledge on the subject do have any opinions on the list of products in the OP. THx again

#22 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Sorry, I can't add any knowledge about the specific products. Somebody did answer that the toothpaste is gluten-free. My wife does not use any makeup or fragrances so it is not a realm we deal in. FWIW, Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo, Ivory soap and Colgate toothpaste (all varieties) are gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#23 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Re: the tocopherol. In the USA, when I've inquired, it's most often been derived from corn if it's plant based.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#24 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I missed reading the brand and scent of underarm deodorant/antipersperant.

I was glutening myself from Ban Sweet Surrender, which had barley in it. That would be rubbing all over shirts and possibly long hair. I honestly didn't believe it could make me sick, but when I switched to a safe product I wasn't getting sick.
Michigan

#25 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Re: the tocopherol. In the USA, when I've inquired, it's most often been derived from corn if it's plant based.

Im awaiting response from the company but ive already put it on the remove list just to be extra safe. Thx

#26 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I missed reading the brand and scent of underarm deodorant/antipersperant.

I was glutening myself from Ban Sweet Surrender, which had barley in it. That would be rubbing all over shirts and possibly long hair. I honestly didn't believe it could make me sick, but when I switched to a safe product I wasn't getting sick.

Interesting how you say it would be in the hair? Like i said in OP i just have strange feeling its her hair. The product she uses is dove pomegranate and lemon verbena, like i really should be avoiding any extravagant names i think. Even the shower gel has chamomile and jojoba oil just seems like having plain non fancy stuff would be an easier life. Thx

#27 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Interesting how you say it would be in the hair? Like i said in OP i just have strange feeling its her hair. The product she uses is dove pomegranate and lemon verbena, like i really should be avoiding any extravagant names i think. Even the shower gel has chamomile and jojoba oil just seems like having plain non fancy stuff would be an easier life. Thx

I haven't checked lately, but I believe all Dove products are gluten free (maybe there are exceptions?)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#28 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

When I was younger my hair was down to my waist. So longer hair would come into contact with underarm deodorant.

If some one doesn't wear deodorant, it seems to me that the odor is all over their clothes. YUCK!
Michigan

#29 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

I haven't checked lately, but I believe all Dove products are gluten free (maybe there are exceptions?)

I thought i read that before a swell, i suppose if they are that aware they will have no problem giving me a solid answer hopefully.

#30 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

When I was younger my hair was down to my waist. So longer hair would come into contact with underarm deodorant.

If some one doesn't wear deodorant, it seems to me that the odor is all over their clothes. YUCK!

Well im thinking if its in her hair and her hair will be in my mouth at some point that cant be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: