Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Cooking Gluten Free For Kids

15 posts in this topic

Help... we're thinking my 4 yr old may be gluten intolerant. It hasn't been confirmed yet. What are some things you cook for your kids that are gluten free?

Ads by Google:

Basically the same stuff I cooked before gluten free . . . I just had to make sure my ingredients were safe or switch to a gluten free version of something:

Pasta . . . We switched to Tinkyada brand. They even have one called Lil Dreams which are shaped liked stars, cats, cars (fun stuff for kids).

Tacos . . . Ortega brand (and actually several others) will list any gluten ingredients. We use the Ortega shells, seasoning packet and taco sauce.

Chicken (Baked or Grilled) and Rice . . . fresh meats are OK and plain rice is fine. Watch out for the seasoned/flavored rice like Rice-a-Roni.

Hamburgers or Hotdogs . . . Udi's makes a nice gluten-free hamburger or hot dog bun but my daughter prefers to eat them bun-free.

Chicken Nuggets . . . My daughter prefers the Applegate Farms brand and the Bell & Evans brand. Make sure you get the boxes that say gluten-free because they make other versions.

Roast Beef & Potatoes . . . Not that its a big favorite of hers ;)

Fresh & Frozen veggies and fruits are good. Watch out (meaning check ingredient list) for ones that have sauces added.

String Cheese, Glutino Pretzels, Jif Peanut Butter, Udi's or Rudi's gluten-free bread, Pizza made with Udi's pizza crust, microwave popcorn, chex cereal, Rice Krispie treats made with the gluten-free Rice Krispies . . .

What does your 4-yr old eat now? We can help steer you in the right direction for replacements.

DD (2.5yr) has always had what we've had - stirfry is probably her favorite. ;)

Same here as Darn210 I cook pretty much the same things as I did before. There were a few modifications to ingredients/products etc. but they enjoy a very varied diet. Fresh fruits, veggies, pasta, Brazilian cheese rolls, cookies, cakes, muffins, Udi's bread and pizza crusts, etc. You get the picture. I make a big batch of baked goods, pancakes and waffles and freeze them to have on hand for lunches and quick breakfast in the mornings. They love anything dairy too. I frequently send leftovers from supper in their lunches. Their lunches are 10X better than their friends and the cafeteria lunches.

I will add gluten free pizza. My daughter's fav. I get the premade Udi's pizza crusts (2 smallish ones to a package and keep in freezer - they thaw really quickly). I add gluten free speghetti sauce, gluten free pepperoni, and kraft pizza cheese (lactose free). She loves it. I usually make one a week and she has some for her lunch the next day.

I have made the gluten free pizza using the gluten free pizza crust mixes. She loves the Udi's pizza crusts better so that works for me.

The applegate hotdogs are gluten free and I add that to the gluten free mac and cheese.

Breakfast:

-peanut butter chocolate smoothie (for 4 of us we take 4 bananas, slice and freeze them. After they are in the freezer for at least 15 minutes I put them in the ninja with at least a 1/4 c of chocolate almond milk and a huge heaping tbs of creamy peanut butter)

-cereal (kix, berry berry kix, rice chex, apple cinnamon chex, fruity pebbles, cocoa pebbles or Kashi Indigo Morning)

-scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage

-pancakes (Namaste or we just tried Pamela's this morning and they were nice and fluffy) with bacon or sausage

Lunch:

-usually dinner leftovers

-sometimes pb&j on a rice cake or Glutino original crackers

Dinner:

-beef or chicken with potatoes or rice with roasted broccoli or raw carrots, sometimes balsamic brussel sprouts with bacon

-chicken parm

-chicken risotto

-tacos using whatever meat and homemade taco seasoning and ortega white corn shells, cheddar cheese and Daisy sour cream

-pizza using Udi's crust

-breakfast for dinner (an absolute favorite of my girls)

Basically the same stuff I cooked before gluten free . . . I just had to make sure my ingredients were safe or switch to a gluten free version of something:

Pasta . . . We switched to Tinkyada brand. They even have one called Lil Dreams which are shaped liked stars, cats, cars (fun stuff for kids).

Tacos . . . Ortega brand (and actually several others) will list any gluten ingredients. We use the Ortega shells, seasoning packet and taco sauce.

Chicken (Baked or Grilled) and Rice . . . fresh meats are OK and plain rice is fine. Watch out for the seasoned/flavored rice like Rice-a-Roni.

Hamburgers or Hotdogs . . . Udi's makes a nice gluten-free hamburger or hot dog bun but my daughter prefers to eat them bun-free.

Chicken Nuggets . . . My daughter prefers the Applegate Farms brand and the Bell & Evans brand. Make sure you get the boxes that say gluten-free because they make other versions.

Roast Beef & Potatoes . . . Not that its a big favorite of hers ;)

Fresh & Frozen veggies and fruits are good. Watch out (meaning check ingredient list) for ones that have sauces added.

String Cheese, Glutino Pretzels, Jif Peanut Butter, Udi's or Rudi's gluten-free bread, Pizza made with Udi's pizza crust, microwave popcorn, chex cereal, Rice Krispie treats made with the gluten-free Rice Krispies . . .

What does your 4-yr old eat now? We can help steer you in the right direction for replacements.

Thank you. This was helpful. She basically has a small menu of items that she will eat... mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, turkey & cheese sandwiches, chex cereal. I found some gluten free chicken nuggets & fish sticks at a health food store. A small box of each...$14.00. Can't seem to find them in a grocery store.

Thank you. This was helpful. She basically has a small menu of items that she will eat... mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, turkey & cheese sandwiches, chex cereal. I found some gluten free chicken nuggets & fish sticks at a health food store. A small box of each...$14.00. Can't seem to find them in a grocery store.

Was that $14 total or $14 each? Unfortunately $7/each is about what I pay. I do watch for stuff to go on sale (save a buck or two a box) and then buy several.

My Krogers carries some gluten free frozen stuff in their "health food/organic" section, it's not with the regular food. Whole Foods has a bigger selection than Krogers but if Krogers carries it, it's cheaper than Whole Foods (in my experience). Do you have a Whole Foods anywhere near you?

I do have an independent type Health Food store not too far from me that has the highest prices but they carry a few products that I can't get anywhere else.

I make homemade mac and cheese, but Annie's makes a gluten free mac & cheese if you can find it.

I made this the other night and my picky son ate 2 huge helpings. Took 5 min to throw together...

In a large bowl, combine:

I jar gluten-free alfredo sauce (I use Ragu)

2c water

Stir

Add 1 box gluten-free noodles (I use Ancient Harvest elbows)

and 1 pkg frozen mixed veggies

Stir to coat all noodles

Add 1/2 pgk deli ham chopped (I like Hormel naturals)

and 1c cubed cheddar cheese

Stir

Pour into baking dish and bake at 350 for 40 min

Was that $14 total or $14 each? Unfortunately $7/each is about what I pay. I do watch for stuff to go on sale (save a buck or two a box) and then buy several.

My Krogers carries some gluten free frozen stuff in their "health food/organic" section, it's not with the regular food. Whole Foods has a bigger selection than Krogers but if Krogers carries it, it's cheaper than Whole Foods (in my experience). Do you have a Whole Foods anywhere near you?

I do have an independent type Health Food store not too far from me that has the highest prices but they carry a few products that I can't get anywhere else.

I make homemade mac and cheese, but Annie's makes a gluten free mac & cheese if you can find it.

It was $14 TOTAL. Yes, I am finding the gluten free items are very expensive. Unfortunatly I do not have a Krogers or a Whole Foods. Just Walmart, Hannafords or Price Chopper.

I have found the Annie's mac n cheese but find it tastes much more salt than the regular Kraft. Do you have a good recipe? Thank you for your input. :)

My kids tested negative for celiac but I suspect my oldest and possibly my youngest have issues with gluten. They are all gluten-free now just in case.

My kids are all very different eaters. Ds#1 would live on raw fruits and veggies with some meats; he has a tree nut allergy so that limits us some. Ds#2 is very picky. He eats beige food and actually gags when trying to chew a vegetable, fruit, or piece of red meat; eyes water and everything... not pretty. LOL Ds#3 will try most foods and eat the largest variety.

All food is gluten-free:

Breakfast

Pancakes - I replace 1/3 of mix with golden flax, add extra eggs, bee pollen and protein powder.

bacon or other thin meats (Piller has a nice lower fat "bacon" with no nitrites

fruits

raw veggies

Lunch

I slice bread or 1/2 bagel or microwaved bun

carnberries or other fruit

meat slices and cheese

nuts

yogurt

Snack

Fruit and veggies

dried fruits, nuts and seeds

dry ceral (Chex and granola)

meat slices or cheese

Kinicritter cookies

rice cakes or crackers

Supper

Chicken (KFC) nuggets (cooked in Actifry with 1tbs oil)

fruit sauces

fries

veggies (raw or cooked)

garlic butter noodles

hot dogs and bratwurst

baked beans or chili

quesadillas (sp?)

pizza

meatballs

rice

turkey

... lots more but those are their prefered foods

My mac and cheese recipe is:

Half a box of ancient harvest elbows

one tab of butter (original recipe called for half a stick :blink: )

Enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan

2 cups of milk (i use 2%)

About a tablespoon of corn starch mixed with a tad bit of water (careful here corn starch does not like heat, thus it makes little clumps without the water, if it happens just strain it out)

8 or so slices of kraft american cheese

salt and pepper to taste

Reducw the milk dow then add the cheese. Add cooked pasta.

Really really good recipie

My mac and cheese recipe is:

Half a box of ancient harvest elbows

one tab of butter (original recipe called for half a stick :blink: )

Enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan

2 cups of milk (i use 2%)

About a tablespoon of corn starch mixed with a tad bit of water (careful here corn starch does not like heat, thus it makes little clumps without the water, if it happens just strain it out)

8 or so slices of kraft american cheese

salt and pepper to taste

Reducw the milk dow then add the cheese. Add cooked pasta.

Really really good recipie

Thank you very much. I will try it. :)

I made this the other night and my picky son ate 2 huge helpings. Took 5 min to throw together...

In a large bowl, combine:

I jar gluten-free alfredo sauce (I use Ragu)

2c water

Stir

Add 1 box gluten-free noodles (I use Ancient Harvest elbows)

and 1 pkg frozen mixed veggies

Stir to coat all noodles

Add 1/2 pgk deli ham chopped (I like Hormel naturals)

and 1c cubed cheddar cheese

Stir

Pour into baking dish and bake at 350 for 40 min

Thank you very much. :)

My 9 yr. old, always LOVED Kraft Mac and Cheese. It was always a special treat. He doesn't like good mac & cheese. Only powdered cheese for him! LOL

So every so often I will buy a box, throw away the noodles and use the cheese with gluten free noodles! I have heard that you can buy the cheese packets from Kraft without the noodles. But I don't do it often enough to be bothered.