This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Skin Care

zippy

zippy Newbie

I just had my blood work confirmed with my endo results today, and as much as I was expecting it, I've been very down all day. I know it could be something so much worse. Anyway, my question is do you avoid all wheat in skin care products/ hair products as well? I was looking through my drawers and some of this stuff I just bought, but I have an eye cream, face cream, face wash, and peel, all that have hydrolized wheat protein or something similar, oh, I even have a mask that has barley in it. Does it all go in the trash?? And if so what do you all use for skincare? The only one so far that seems to be gluten free for the most part is neutrogena. I'm 46, breakout prone, with fine lines. Thanks. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skoki-mom Explorer

You sound like me 4 weeks ago. Even though I knew the endo would come back positive, I still felt like I'd been smacked upside the head, so here's a ((hug)) for you.

I have tossed all the cosmetics that I thought might get in my mouth. Like my facial scrub and moisturizer and stuff like that. My lipstick is ok. So far, I'm still using my old shampoo and stuff. I figure when it's gone, I'll get something different, but for now, I don't plan to eat it and I'm just being careful not to get it in my mouth. I don't have reactions, but some celiac disease sufferers have very bad reactions to even a drop and are very debilitated by it. While I know the internal damage is going on even though I don't react, I have had to make priorities in how I do this. I have had to restock my kitchen and it's been very expensive. So, the stuff I do put in my mouth had to change right now, but the stuff that might sorta make its way there will have to be phased out gradually. The fact is I simply can't afford to change it all in one day so I have had to prioritize.

Gluten will not be absorbed through your skin, so it's more about the gluten finding its way into your mouth after you handle your food or something.

Probably not very helpful, sorry. There are lists available of what cosmetics are gluten-free or you can write the company.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I personally got rid of everything with gluten in it. I react now to things on my skin and others do, too. Some say that's a wheat allergy but I think it's just my body reacting to something it has been without for years. Shampoo and cosmetics can all wind up getting into your mouth. You can take your time getting rid of them or continue to use them. It is really up to you.

zippy Newbie

Thank you both for your replies, and anyone else who choses to chime in. And as for the hug, I'll take it. :)

bluelotus Contributor

Do what works for you, but I agree...I throw out things with gluten in them. Just not worth it for me after I found my shampoo was giving me headaches (not sure how it got in my system, thought I was being careful). I know Proactiv's products are gluten-free (you might want to check their makeup). Someone recently posted a list under another topic of Estee Lauder products - the list contained wording for ingrediants with gluten. There are also tips in there on shampoos and things, so check it out. It is under something like "Food, Medications, etc" and the topic is called "Cosmetics, shampoo, etc" or similar wording. Good luck.

jenvan Collaborator

I got rid of all products with gluten in them as well. And I tell you what, once I started trying to figure out what was in all my products--I realized how many harmful ingredients are in them to begin with! New products I would recommend--

www.tropicaltraditions.com (all gluten-free--lotions, body scrubs etc.)

www.californiababy.com (all gluten-free--body washes, body/face lotions, bubble bath, sunscreen)

www.bareescentuals.com (all gluten-free makeup, and natural...can buy on QVC or sephora.com)

www.aubreyorganics.com (not all gluten-free, but some of the shampoos and lotions are gluten-free--just verify ingredients)

AmandaD Community Regular

I threw out all my stuff too..basically because I wasn't sure what was what at the time.

I found a terrific shampoo/conditioner and soap place on line...it's the gluten free savonnierie (www.gfsoap.com) and their stuff is absolutely wonderful - smells light and is very good for sensitive skin. I also ordered bare escentuals make-up and I actually like it better than anything else I've ever used!!!

I felt the same way too after my confirmation about 2 weeks ago - the diagnosis was sort of a slap upside the head!! But, oh well...I'm actually enjoying the food - so that's good...

I just had my blood work confirmed with my endo results today, and as much as I was expecting it, I've been very down all day. I know it could be something so much worse. Anyway, my question is do you avoid all wheat in skin care products/ hair products as well? I was looking through my drawers and some of this stuff I just bought, but I have an eye cream, face cream, face wash, and peel, all that have hydrolized wheat protein or something similar, oh, I even have a mask that has barley in it. Does it all go in the trash?? And if so what do you all use for skincare? The only one so far that seems to be gluten free for the most part is neutrogena. I'm 46, breakout prone, with fine lines. Thanks. :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
You sound like me 4 weeks ago.  Even though I knew the endo would come back positive, I still felt like I'd been smacked upside the head, so here's a ((hug)) for you.

I have tossed all the cosmetics that I thought might get in my mouth.  Like my facial scrub and moisturizer and stuff like that.  My lipstick is ok.  So far, I'm still using my old shampoo and stuff.  I figure when it's gone, I'll get something different, but for now, I don't plan to eat it and I'm just being careful not to get it in my mouth.  I don't have reactions, but some celiac disease sufferers have very bad reactions to even a drop and are very debilitated by it.  While I know the internal damage is going on even though I don't react, I have had to make priorities in how I do this.  I have had to restock my kitchen and it's been very expensive.  So, the stuff I do put in my mouth had to change right now, but the stuff that might sorta make its way there will have to be phased out gradually.  The fact is I simply can't afford to change it all in one day so I have had to prioritize.

Gluten will not be absorbed through your skin, so it's more about the gluten finding its way into your mouth after you handle your food or something.

Probably not very helpful, sorry.  There are lists available of what cosmetics are gluten-free or you can write the company.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What Lipstick do you use? I saw somewhere that Revlon and Almay are gluten-free, but can't get a confirmation. I DO love my lipstick.

skoki-mom Explorer
What Lipstick do you use?  I saw somewhere that Revlon and Almay are gluten-free, but can't get a confirmation.  I DO love my lipstick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use Clinique Different Lipstick :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Cover Girl Continuous Color is gluten-free. :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for posting those Jen :)

Lisa Mentor
Cover Girl Continuous Color is gluten-free.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks both of you for the suggestions for lipstick. That will get me over the vanity hump.

Lisa

Lisa Mentor
Cover Girl Continuous Color is gluten-free.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rachel: Like the new pic.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Does anyone know of any other lotions that are gluten-free?

quantumsugar Apprentice

When I kept getting sick, I threw out everything with gluten in it, including my beloved Cetaphil. Carriefaith--I've been using the Dove lotion, but these two sites have lotion I've been wanting to try, let me know if you do!

www.dakotafree.com

www.grandmaferdons.com

And Bare Escentuals is expensive, but it's the best makeup I've ever tried. Great if your skin breaks out, too.

artmeg55 Newbie

Three nutritionists have told me that skin care products do not cross-over (will not make you sick). But I just can't bring myself to buy anything with wheat in it for myself. I would not even consider any lipstick with wheat as an ingredient. Try Estee Lauder's Intense Lip Creme. I like the Amour Rose. It has long lasting color wihout dyeing or drying out your lips. Even though it seems more expensive than the drug store variety, it lasts longer since you use less. As a school teacher, I do not find much time to re-apply lipstick during the day, so give this one a try.

Meg

artmeg55 Newbie

One more thought. Miss Robens online store has gluten-free products besides food. Check there for some you may like.

Open Original Shared Link

Meg

laurie222 Newbie

I don't use anything with wheat it in. I use the bare minerals makeup and I don't polish my nails. There are some polishes that are gluten-free, but it is not worth the trouble to me. After 7 years, I am still learning new things. B)

• 2 weeks later...
zippy Newbie

I ended up going with the tropical traditions lotion, they had a buy one get one free sale, so I couldn't resist, and I've been happy with it. I've found a lip gloss site that's inexpensive and this was their response to ingredient question:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in My Lip Stuff.

Our regular formula lip balms in the tube and pot contain:

Beeswax, Sunflower Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Castor Oil, Avocado Oil, Cocoa Butter, & Aloe Vera.

The mens, lickity lips, and lip tint- also contain either mango butter, hemp butter, or hemp oil.

The body butter stick contains shea butter, shea oil, castor oil, & beeswax.

Please let me know if you'd like to know about any other products.

Thanks!

BREA

Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

I threw out all of my lipsticks, haircare products, washes etc. that had wheat in them shortly after going gluten-free. I didn"t realize at the time how important that was but I was still getting symptoms and tossing the offending things really made a difference. The eczema I had on my eyelid for YEARS has finally subsided -- although that took a couple of months. Johnsons Softlotion Creamy Moisturizing Oil is gluten-free. I called the co. to verify. I love the smell and it dosen't make the skin feel greasy. I use Bare Minerals anyway, I have for some time and am SO happy they are safe. Another line of skincare thats good is MyChelle. I use their Honeydew Cleanser. Their whole line is gluten-free--they use good ingred. like fruit, honey and seaweed extracts. Some of their products are avail. at Whole Foods (at least the one in my area) and their phone # is 800-447-2076 for a catalogue.

jenvan Collaborator

carrie--

on lotions... cali baby and tropical traditions are great. burts bees has several gluten-free lotions. i can tell you what they are if you need. i believe kiss my face has some gluten-free lotions too, and weleda.

julie5914 Contributor

I still struggle with symptoms, so I have tossed all shampoos, conditioners and lotions that have wheat or oats, along with any questionable makeup. I don't regret it. I had never thought about nail polish, so I hope Bare Minerals has some cause my toe nails are gross! I am going to switch to all Bare Minerals cosmetics this week. I am learning that I am extremely sensitive.

Archived