10 replies to this topic

#1 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Anyone else struggling with gluten-free and vegetarian in restaurants? I travel frequently for work and as much as I try to bring my own food, it is not always that easy. Yesterday after some unexpectedly long appointments, I tried to eat at Pei Wei because they have a gluten free menu. I just about ordered one of their gluten-free sauces with veggies and I look on their nutritional analysis and the veggie version is not gluten-free. HUH? [hind sight, perhaps it is the tofu in the tofu+veggie that isn't gluten-free, but still, annoying.]

Anyone have a great "go to" veggie + gluten-free restaurant that has other options beside salad?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Anyone else struggling with gluten-free and vegetarian in restaurants? I travel frequently for work and as much as I try to bring my own food, it is not always that easy. Yesterday after some unexpectedly long appointments, I tried to eat at Pei Wei because they have a gluten free menu. I just about ordered one of their gluten-free sauces with veggies and I look on their nutritional analysis and the veggie version is not gluten-free. HUH? [hind sight, perhaps it is the tofu in the tofu+veggie that isn't gluten-free, but still, annoying.]

Anyone have a great "go to" veggie + gluten-free restaurant that has other options beside salad?

Chipotle's is awesome for gluten free food (you have to get the bowl), and they have vegetarian options as well. I think they have many locations all over the country. It is one of my favorite go-to restaurants.

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

P.F. Chang's Chinese might work. Ask for the gluten-free menu tho.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

We are gluten-free and vegan, and there is a noodle place that is predominantly gluten free because they use rice noodles, however the ones using soy sauce are not gluten-free, and they have vegan and vegetarian options, most of what they do can be made vegan except a few that use egg noodles, and the ones that use honey soy sauce.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#5 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Everyone! I am a big fan of Chipotle, but looking for other places. I haven't found a noodle place that will work except a local-ish place that will make things specifically for me, but my 5 year old isn't a fan.

#6 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Pei Wei and their big sister restaurant P.F. Changs both dip their tofu in regular soy sauce, so it's not gluten free.

For a company that goes to such lengths to provide gluten free options, I'm surprised they don't have gluten free tofu by now.

#7 Charli61

Charli61

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

A related ? Question... Does anyone know of a good gluten free vegetarian restaurant choice in Maui? We are heading there for a holiday and while we will be in a rental condo it would be really nice to go out for a meal or two.... Thanks!

#8 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Pei Wei and their big sister restaurant P.F. Changs both dip their tofu in regular soy sauce, so it's not gluten free.

For a company that goes to such lengths to provide gluten free options, I'm surprised they don't have gluten free tofu by now.

I know! This is why I try to stick to thai food when I am out by myself, no soy sauce. However, my husband and kid would never go to thai. <_<

#9 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

I usually just go to the WHole FOods on Maui or I ask Merrimans, ahead of time, to make something.
There is another place in Makawao and one in Haiku too. I'm in Kona but get there a few times a year.

A related ? Question... Does anyone know of a good gluten free vegetarian restaurant choice in Maui? We are heading there for a holiday and while we will be in a rental condo it would be really nice to go out for a meal or two.... Thanks!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm gluten-free and Vegan, Have this problem sometimes but only in large groups otherwise i just order plain steamed veggies and tofu at Chinese or Thai places. Shiracha and ma ploy are no problems for me to use but hot sauce isnt for everyone. I do carry a small spray bottle of braggs aminos to use or even by a bottle of soy sauce and leave it at the restaurant for them to use when others ask for it -- i Like training the places on serving celiacs

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 scenicgurl

scenicgurl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

My friend is touring with a show around the country right now so she's suffering this problem as a vegan and found a great app for her smart phone that she told me about. It's called "Happy Cow". It's like a $3 flat fee. It tell you all vegan, vegetarin, and gluten free restruant in the area of you, you just have to set the radius of travel. I've been using it and have found some really great places around me I didn't kno exsisted and it's the only way she's able to survive in a heahtly way on her tour.

Caffine free since 2008

Pescetarian since 2009

Diagnosed as gluten intolerant Oct 2011, have been gluten free ever since

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: