Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free And Vegetarian

11 posts in this topic

Anyone else struggling with gluten-free and vegetarian in restaurants? I travel frequently for work and as much as I try to bring my own food, it is not always that easy. Yesterday after some unexpectedly long appointments, I tried to eat at Pei Wei because they have a gluten free menu. I just about ordered one of their gluten-free sauces with veggies and I look on their nutritional analysis and the veggie version is not gluten-free. HUH? [hind sight, perhaps it is the tofu in the tofu+veggie that isn't gluten-free, but still, annoying.]

Anyone have a great "go to" veggie + gluten-free restaurant that has other options beside salad?

Ads by Google:

Anyone else struggling with gluten-free and vegetarian in restaurants? I travel frequently for work and as much as I try to bring my own food, it is not always that easy. Yesterday after some unexpectedly long appointments, I tried to eat at Pei Wei because they have a gluten free menu. I just about ordered one of their gluten-free sauces with veggies and I look on their nutritional analysis and the veggie version is not gluten-free. HUH? [hind sight, perhaps it is the tofu in the tofu+veggie that isn't gluten-free, but still, annoying.]

Anyone have a great "go to" veggie + gluten-free restaurant that has other options beside salad?

Chipotle's is awesome for gluten free food (you have to get the bowl), and they have vegetarian options as well. I think they have many locations all over the country. It is one of my favorite go-to restaurants.

P.F. Chang's Chinese might work. Ask for the gluten-free menu tho.

We are gluten-free and vegan, and there is a noodle place that is predominantly gluten free because they use rice noodles, however the ones using soy sauce are not gluten-free, and they have vegan and vegetarian options, most of what they do can be made vegan except a few that use egg noodles, and the ones that use honey soy sauce.

Thanks Everyone! I am a big fan of Chipotle, but looking for other places. I haven't found a noodle place that will work except a local-ish place that will make things specifically for me, but my 5 year old isn't a fan.

Pei Wei and their big sister restaurant P.F. Changs both dip their tofu in regular soy sauce, so it's not gluten free.

For a company that goes to such lengths to provide gluten free options, I'm surprised they don't have gluten free tofu by now.

A related ? Question... Does anyone know of a good gluten free vegetarian restaurant choice in Maui? We are heading there for a holiday and while we will be in a rental condo it would be really nice to go out for a meal or two.... Thanks!

Pei Wei and their big sister restaurant P.F. Changs both dip their tofu in regular soy sauce, so it's not gluten free.

For a company that goes to such lengths to provide gluten free options, I'm surprised they don't have gluten free tofu by now.

I know! This is why I try to stick to thai food when I am out by myself, no soy sauce. However, my husband and kid would never go to thai. <_<

I usually just go to the WHole FOods on Maui or I ask Merrimans, ahead of time, to make something.

There is another place in Makawao and one in Haiku too. I'm in Kona but get there a few times a year.

A related ? Question... Does anyone know of a good gluten free vegetarian restaurant choice in Maui? We are heading there for a holiday and while we will be in a rental condo it would be really nice to go out for a meal or two.... Thanks!

I'm gluten-free and Vegan, Have this problem sometimes but only in large groups otherwise i just order plain steamed veggies and tofu at Chinese or Thai places. Shiracha and ma ploy are no problems for me to use but hot sauce isnt for everyone. I do carry a small spray bottle of braggs aminos to use or even by a bottle of soy sauce and leave it at the restaurant for them to use when others ask for it -- i Like training the places on serving celiacs

My friend is touring with a show around the country right now so she's suffering this problem as a vegan and found a great app for her smart phone that she told me about. It's called "Happy Cow". It's like a $3 flat fee. It tell you all vegan, vegetarin, and gluten free restruant in the area of you, you just have to set the radius of travel. I've been using it and have found some really great places around me I didn't kno exsisted and it's the only way she's able to survive in a heahtly way on her tour.