6 replies to this topic

#1 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

So after discovering that my second slotted spoon melted somewhat (only discovered AFTER i ate dinner, there goes my stress -_-, but it didn't look like it had gotten into it rather just accumulated at the end of it), i am now out two utencils. I never leave them in the pot when i cook (they have thier own plate). I guess thats what happens when i buy cheap ones. As of right now i'm down too: two metal ones (one ladle, one flipper) and a plastic flipper. Originally, i went plastic because of the as seen on tv green pan i got (biggest piece of junk ever, but thats another story).

Ideas on what i should get?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

My favorite brand of cooking utensil is Oxo brand, you can find them in stores and online at the evil website. I have enjoyed the use of every single thing I ever bought from them. Very good stuff.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

I love using silicon utensils by OXO brand as well: spatulas, spoons, turners.

They look like this:

http://www.surlatabl...lexible-Turner-

yes, they may seem expensive, but you'll have them until you are old --like me.

Heat resistant and clean right up.

Do not stain, warp, or do any of the things that make the plastic things "oogey".

I also have a stainless steel set that I have owned since
the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Those babies are indestructible. (the utensils, not the dinos)

The one thing I never skimp on is kitchen ware and appliances. Invest in the better product or you'll just keep replacing things over and over.
IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

I got silicone ones too - another good thing is that they come in great colors too (in the uk at least).

I now have EVERYTHING in purple - utensils, toaster, spoon rests, colander...

It was expensive, but no one doubts which is my gluten-free stuff now.

I wonder if you could ask a few people for a cheeky early Christmas gift? Or maybe swap a utensil for some lovely homebaked gluten-free goodies.

I know if any of my family or friends were stuck I'd handle the price of a spatula for them.

Just trying to get a bit creative, I remember being broke...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

My silicon spatulas and spoons are red and pink!!

and I bought one at a time...about $4 bucks each.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

I dropped the hint to my family :)

I'll look into those, for now i'll stick with my metal ones its just frustrating lol

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Great, so you get to feel better AND have a cheerful kitchen.
Fingers crossed your family pick up the hint quickly...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: