This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kinda Embarrassing But Need To Ask...

Aly1

Aly1 Contributor

What can I do to treat large bulky stools? I am do constipated I can hardly pass them. Can't have laxatives that contain dairy, corn or sweeteners. Anyone know what I can do that's fast acting?? ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jswog Contributor

What can I do to treat large bulky stools? I am do constipated I can hardly pass them. Can't have laxatives that contain dairy, corn or sweeteners. Anyone know what I can do that's fast acting??

Not fast acting, but when I was pregnant my OB had me on prunes/prune juice to help with my severe constipation naturally. I think the prune juice is probably a bit faster acting, but the prunes have a great amount of dietary fiber. GL!

Simona19 Collaborator

I can tell you what had worked for me: magnesium supplements - magnesium oxide 400mg once a day, or cut the pill in half and take it twice a day. Then water, drink 1 bottle of plain water at once, or in 15 minutes wice per day, and take probiotics with bifidum - Alive Or. Nature Bounty Chewable probiotics Acidophilus with bifidum- two wafers 2-3 times a day. I have been using them that way when I needed.

To avoid constipation try to cut, or lower chicken meat, rice, bananas and carrot intake because when you have diarrhea, they are the first aid to stop it.

I hope that you feel better soon.

IrishHeart Veteran

Ground flaxseed in a 16 oz. glass of water 2X a day --and more water throughout the day can help.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I second the prunes. I eat sunsweet and they taste like candy :)

Aly1 Contributor

Ooh these are some good suggestions. It happens whenever I have the slightest amount of dairy. I had to grab some milk to coat my stomach before taking some medication, and so I know what's coming...?

IrishHeart Veteran

Ooh these are some good suggestions. It happens whenever I have the slightest amount of dairy. I had to grab some milk to coat my stomach before taking some medication, and so I know what's coming...?

Aha! well, hon, this may be the giant clue!

If dairy is causing C, you may need to give it up.

Try So delicious coconut milk or almond milk and see if the C stops.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aly1 Contributor

Oh, I have given it up, but every now and then in a moment of desperation (eg I'm having a low blood sugar in the mall and the only thing available is my daughter's cheese that I've packed for her snack; or yesterday when I took an ocycodone bc I had my wisdom tooth pulled, and it started attacking my stomach almost immediately. Had to grab a milk at the store before going home...). But the result is always the same and I need to find something fast acting to help..!

Wondering which of the above suggestions will work the fastest!

shadowicewolf Proficient

prunes generally will imo. Eat four of them and give it a few hours and you'll be going rofl.

Back when i had C constently, prunes were the only thing that got me going.

rosetapper23 Explorer

IrishHeart is right: ground flaxseeds in either water or juice will work miracles.

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart is right: ground flaxseeds in either water or juice will work miracles.

Hubs (who would be so embarrassed for me for saying this, so let's not tell him :lol: ) had big C for weeks---and I had to talk him into trying it and now, he is so happy. :)

I also make granola bars for us with ground flaxseed in them and they keep things "moving" right along.

Aly1 Contributor

I will have hubby stop by the health food store and pick some flaxseed up. I thinky one ofthe many foods i am supposed to avoid is prunes, so rather than go searching to find the list that has that on I will just opt for the flaxseed route.

Any concerns with brands that might have gluten contamination? I gave up on eating sunflower seeds bc I was reacting to them (this was in my ultra sensitive phase...no idea if it was gluten contamination - I assumed it was - or a problem with the seeds themselves...I didn't bother to find out at the time as I had too many other dietary issues going on!

rosetapper23 Explorer

I buy mine at a health food store, and I haven't experienced any problems of gluten contamination. Also, I use a coffee grinder to grind the seeds before mixing them in with the juice. Don't bother buying the pre-ground kind, because they lost their nutritional value 15 minutes after being ground.

Aly1 Contributor

Good to know. Thanks all!

rorenchan Newbie

I have the same problem. What ended up working for me was an increase of fiber, and a squatty potty.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

My Mum swears by squatting in the garden to do weeding. A friend (honest) lies on her back and brings legs towards chest - think cuddling your knees.

A kids toilet step does a similar job to rorenchan's product, and cheaper probably. Thosd do look good though.

IrishHeart Veteran

A squatty potty? Seems to me you could just put a small step stool in your bathroom and elevate your knees a bit to get the same angle.... yes? :)

Many cultures "squat" to eliminate waste. And this works, provided someone can stand and has strong legs to balance while doing his business.

I am the kind of person who goes by Occham's razor when trying to sort out what "may be" causing a problem.

It means basically, "all things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one.".

We all have things that work for us, but since

Aly mentioned the big C occurred as a direct result of drinking

milk, well the first thing to do is ..... eliminate milk.

After that, yes, our suggestions of additional fiber is good. (prunes, more leafy greens, flaxseed meal, whatever)

PLUS MORE water, because without that water, the fiber will just swell in your colon.

But every time she continues to drinks milk, the C will likely come back.

Honestly, I used to have the same issue with too much cheese, but I take in a lot of fiber and WATER every day and that keeps me from having C.

IrishHeart Veteran

My Mum swears by squatting in the garden to do weeding. A friend (honest) lies on her back and brings legs towards chest - think cuddling your knees.

Okay, now I have a visual of your mum doing her business in the garden and your friend doing hers on the floor. :unsure:

Oh no. I must never tell either of them what someone halfway round the world is thinking about them...

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh no. I must never tell either of them what someone halfway round the world is thinking about them...

:lol: just now, I was outside trimming back perennials and I squatted down to pick up the cuttings and thought of YOU.

I am more of a D girl, so weeding unnecessary here, luckily. Well except during the 3 weeks I managed of my gluten challenge. Then it was a handful of dried apricots. Similar to prunes I suppose.

Might be interesting to watch the neighbours gardening though...

rorenchan Newbie

A squatty potty? Seems to me you could just put a small step stool in your bathroom and elevate your knees a bit to get the same angle.... yes? :)

A regular step stool could totally work and be a whole lot cheaper, yeah.

megsybeth Enthusiast

Ok, the ground flax seed might explain something! I'm very new to gluten-free eating and cooking (three days new) and this morning I was experimenting with pancakes. We like unleavened pancakes (like thicker crepes) so I was experimenting with different flours. I'd picked up some ground flax meal because I thought it would be a healthy, crunchy way to coat fish for frying. I put a generous amount in the batter. My son and I have been going all day. I thought it was part of the celiac recovery we're both starting but maybe it's the big portion of flax meal?

So I guess, pancakes made with flax meal would be on the list too =).

Archived