11 replies to this topic

#1 Andres Rosales

Andres Rosales

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm trying to start a gluten free diet and meeting with a lot of success. One thing I'm running into though, is lack of confidence in what I can drink. Is soda off limits? I myself don't have celiac but my beloved does and I'm trying to go gluten-free with her, to avoid future complications, and to make the transition easier for her as well. Also, would juice (the frozen canned kind one gets from a grocery store) be alright?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Soda is almost always gluten-free, although there might be something out there. All variations of Coke and Pepsi are definitely gluten-free. I believe that all the other sodas made by those two companies are gluten-free as well. Caramel color does not contain gluten.

Fruit juices, likewise, are usually safe, but there are some exceptions, so be sure to read the ingredients carefully. If I recall, some Minute Maid products contain gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Also, some flavored coffees and teas have it as well.

#4 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Things I enjoy are

Foldger coffee
diet Pepsi
teas by Bigelow
White wines
Woodchuck hard cider. The flavor "Fall" is out now and yummy.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#5 Andres Rosales

Andres Rosales

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for your tips! :)
Me and my beloved are both under legal drinking age so I'm not really worried about alcohol, and we don't plan on drinking at any time in the future, but I have read that in other articles and I appreciate the information provided by everyone ^_^.

#6 Andres Rosales

Andres Rosales

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Soda is almost always gluten-free, although there might be something out there. All variations of Coke and Pepsi are definitely gluten-free. I believe that all the other sodas made by those two companies are gluten-free as well. Caramel color does not contain gluten.

Fruit juices, likewise, are usually safe, but there are some exceptions, so be sure to read the ingredients carefully. If I recall, some Minute Maid products contain gluten.

Are there any specific ingredients I should look for? I know of a few, but I'm sure there are more than the few that I know of already.

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Are there any specific ingredients I should look for? I know of a few, but I'm sure there are more than the few that I know of already.

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Here's a list of companies that have a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

Always read the label.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I like well or spring water best of all. If it is kept in the refrigerator it is deliciously cool. It is low in sugar (unlike fruit juice) high in hydrating qualities. Herbal tea can be warming on the cool days coming our way. I just use loose leaf to avoid tea bags. I have most recently been really enjoying coconut water that hydrates me better than water. It is also high in potassium and magnesium needed by recovering celiac. I enjoy the taste of it, but if you just expect it to taste like water is better than if you compare it to a sweet drink.

#9 Andres Rosales

Andres Rosales

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks a lot for the helpful links and the list of ingredients! I've already been on the lookout for whole grain and nearly everything else grain and oats and such. I've been reading labels on just about everything ^_^ also, me and my father went to a little grocery store just off-campus and it has a whole wall devoted to gluten-free stuff :). Great to see that my dietary menu really isn't going to shrink at all. If anything, it'll grow!

#10 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

The only ones I'm aware of are ones we wouldn't buy anyway like the flavoured coffees, vanilla flavoured milk which contains malt from barley, beer is almost always out, except for a few brands which make gluten free beer. I saw Up n Go are in the fridge section now with the flavoured milks, these contain cereals that contain gluten.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#11 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

What a loving thing you are doing by going gluten free with her. She is a very lucky lady.

#12 Andres Rosales

Andres Rosales

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

What a loving thing you are doing by going gluten free with her. She is a very lucky lady.

Thank you very much :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: