68 replies to this topic

#1 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm still doing a gluten challenge before my endoscopy, but I'm trying to only eat gluten at night because it makes me so sick. This morning at work I made my gluten-free English Muffin in the shared Toaster Oven -- as I have done for the past week.

I always lay foil down on the shelf before I put the muffin in so it's only touching brand new foil.

But I got sick soon after (for me it's massive fatigue and muscle weakness, and have been sick all day. Could I have been glutened by the toaster oven even though I used my own new foil over the shelf?

(Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question!)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

mmm i'm thinking its more of touching the oven (gluteny hands and whatnot) that might have gotten you.

#3 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Can I get glutened by touching the toaster handle?

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Can I get glutened by touching the toaster handle?

Yep...I use a paper towel to open and close the microwave at work.

Admittedly, I am a super-sensitive silly-yak.

Couple other thoughts:

Was this the first time you had that particular brand of gluten-free english muffin? Some gluten-free items can be difficult on your system.

It is also possible that you reacted to your previous gluten consumption - it's going to be very difficult to figure these things out until you are gluten-free - heck, it's difficult to figure them out even when you've been gluten-free for years ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Was this the first time you had that particular brand of gluten-free english muffin? Some gluten-free items can be difficult on your system.

It is also possible that you reacted to your previous gluten consumption - it's going to be very difficult to figure these things out until you are gluten-free - heck, it's difficult to figure them out even when you've been gluten-free for years ;)

They are Glutino English Muffins and I have been eating them for breakfast for the last week and a half without problems.

Maybe I am reacting to the previous day's gluten, hadn't thought of that. Although I felt ok until I ate that muffin. I kind of feel like I am getting worse by the day the last few days. Sigh.

I will use your suggestion of the paper towel and won't touch the handle or buttons anymore. Thanks!

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

We have a shared toaster oven at home. I use the top rack and husband uses the bottom....so far without issue (after several years). I clean the tray often. But, then I'm not that sensitive. What may work for me, may not work for others, as Lisa.

Everyone will vary in severity and duration. And some will react to many things, gluten or non-gluten until some healing can take place. If you're still on a gluten challenge, it could be anything.

Oh..and I wanted to add that when I get zapped, I feel it about 22 hour later. But, as I said, everyone will vary.

Hopefully, you will have some answers soon. AND, there are no dumb questions here. B)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Everyone will vary in severity and duration. And some will react to many things, gluten or non-gluten until some healing can take place. If you're still on a gluten challenge, it could be anything.

Oh..and I wanted to add that when I get zapped, I feel it about 22 hour later. But, as I said, everyone will vary.

Hopefully, you will have some answers soon. AND, there are no dumb questions here. B)

Thank you!

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Yep...I use a paper towel to open and close the microwave at work.

Admittedly, I am a super-sensitive silly-yak.

Couple other thoughts:

I really feel the need to clarify this......you cannot be glutened by merely touching something that may be gluten containing. It has to find it's way into your GI tract. If you had licked the toaster handle, OK, that would be a problem but you don't do that! No one does that. :o Gluten can be handled by even the most sensitive of Celiacs (of which I am one) but you have to remember to wash your hands, always, before eating, or always after touching something you are unsure of. Everyone should be doing that, not just the Celiac population. It's a hygiene issue.

#9 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I really feel the need to clarify this......you cannot be glutened by merely touching something that may be gluten containing. It has to find it's way into your GI tract. If you had licked the toaster handle, OK, that would be a problem but you don't do that! No one does that. :o Gluten can be handled by even the most sensitive of Celiacs (of which I am one) but you have to remember to wash your hands, always, before eating, or always after touching something you are unsure of. Everyone should be doing that, not just the Celiac population. It's a hygiene issue.

Gemini is correct - you can't get glutened by touching surfaces containing gluten. In the shared "kitchen" of our office there was no sink - so rather than trudge down the hall to wash after warming my food I decided to use a paper towel to open/close the micro. It is far better to wash each time you encounter gluten - just not always convenient.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Not a dumb question at all, Kiki!

I am thinking you are having a reaction from gluten ingestion, period, so it is difficult to blame the toaster or the muffin or anything, for that matter. I just blame the gluten.

Under a gluten challenge, who can say when/how you will feel worse? None of us. Inflammation from gluten/celiac can last a long time.

For example, even after my DX and being gluten-free, I was still very ill for quite some time.

Unfortunately, until you are gluten-free entirely, you may feel pretty rotten, hon. Sorry. :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Gemini is correct - you can't get glutened by touching surfaces containing gluten. In the shared "kitchen" of our office there was no sink - so rather than trudge down the hall to wash after warming my food I decided to use a paper towel to open/close the micro. It is far better to wash each time you encounter gluten - just not always convenient.

Thanks for clarifying that, GottaSki! I KNOW you know your stuff with regards to Celiac and I didn't want to annoy anyone but if you don't clarify that, you know what will happen! ;) :o

#12 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Didn't annoy me in the least - I often add CYA statements and am glad you were covering mine this time when I was unclear -- Thanks!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'm still doing a gluten challenge before my endoscopy, but I'm trying to only eat gluten at night because it makes me so sick. This morning at work I made my gluten-free English Muffin in the shared Toaster Oven -- as I have done for the past week.

I always lay foil down on the shelf before I put the muffin in so it's only touching brand new foil.

But I got sick soon after (for me it's massive fatigue and muscle weakness, and have been sick all day. Could I have been glutened by the toaster oven even though I used my own new foil over the shelf?

(Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question!)

Hi Kiki,

The immune system reaction doesn't stop after a few hours. It will keep going as long as you are eating gluten. Your symptoms may vary during the challenge, getting better or worse at times. If you are eating gluten every day for the challenge, your reactions each day are kind of unpredictable. It is possible they will get progressively stronger over time, or they may plateau for a while or even taper off. Everyone has their own experience and it is not something standard for each person. Some people have no symptoms at all but still have damage to their gut going on.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Lick the toaster handle. LOL!!! I am already super germ conscious because I have such a weak immune system. Not going to catch me licking anything in that kitchen. :)

#15 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Not a dumb question at all, Kiki!

I am thinking you are having a reaction from gluten ingestion, period, so it is difficult to blame the toaster or the muffin or anything, for that matter. I just blame the gluten.

Under a gluten challenge, who can say when/how you will feel worse? None of us. Inflammation from gluten/celiac can last a long time.

For example, even after my DX and being gluten-free, I was still very ill for quite some time.

Unfortunately, until you are gluten-free entirely, you may feel pretty rotten, hon. Sorry. :(

That makes sense. Since I usually react so quickly to food, I just assumed it was the breakfast muffin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: