This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions Re Shared Toaster Oven, Initialisms

KikiB

KikiB Explorer

I'm still doing a gluten challenge before my endoscopy, but I'm trying to only eat gluten at night because it makes me so sick. This morning at work I made my gluten-free English Muffin in the shared Toaster Oven -- as I have done for the past week.

I always lay foil down on the shelf before I put the muffin in so it's only touching brand new foil.

But I got sick soon after (for me it's massive fatigue and muscle weakness, and have been sick all day. Could I have been glutened by the toaster oven even though I used my own new foil over the shelf?

(Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shadowicewolf Proficient

mmm i'm thinking its more of touching the oven (gluteny hands and whatnot) that might have gotten you.

KikiB Explorer

Can I get glutened by touching the toaster handle?

GottaSki Mentor

Can I get glutened by touching the toaster handle?

Yep...I use a paper towel to open and close the microwave at work.

Admittedly, I am a super-sensitive silly-yak.

Couple other thoughts:

Was this the first time you had that particular brand of gluten-free english muffin? Some gluten-free items can be difficult on your system.

It is also possible that you reacted to your previous gluten consumption - it's going to be very difficult to figure these things out until you are gluten-free - heck, it's difficult to figure them out even when you've been gluten-free for years ;)

KikiB Explorer

Was this the first time you had that particular brand of gluten-free english muffin? Some gluten-free items can be difficult on your system.

It is also possible that you reacted to your previous gluten consumption - it's going to be very difficult to figure these things out until you are gluten-free - heck, it's difficult to figure them out even when you've been gluten-free for years ;)

They are Glutino English Muffins and I have been eating them for breakfast for the last week and a half without problems.

Maybe I am reacting to the previous day's gluten, hadn't thought of that. Although I felt ok until I ate that muffin. I kind of feel like I am getting worse by the day the last few days. Sigh.

I will use your suggestion of the paper towel and won't touch the handle or buttons anymore. Thanks!

Lisa Mentor

We have a shared toaster oven at home. I use the top rack and husband uses the bottom....so far without issue (after several years). I clean the tray often. But, then I'm not that sensitive. What may work for me, may not work for others, as Lisa.

Everyone will vary in severity and duration. And some will react to many things, gluten or non-gluten until some healing can take place. If you're still on a gluten challenge, it could be anything.

Oh..and I wanted to add that when I get zapped, I feel it about 22 hour later. But, as I said, everyone will vary.

Hopefully, you will have some answers soon. AND, there are no dumb questions here. B)

KikiB Explorer

Everyone will vary in severity and duration. And some will react to many things, gluten or non-gluten until some healing can take place. If you're still on a gluten challenge, it could be anything.

Oh..and I wanted to add that when I get zapped, I feel it about 22 hour later. But, as I said, everyone will vary.

Hopefully, you will have some answers soon. AND, there are no dumb questions here. B)

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Yep...I use a paper towel to open and close the microwave at work.

Admittedly, I am a super-sensitive silly-yak.

Couple other thoughts:

I really feel the need to clarify this......you cannot be glutened by merely touching something that may be gluten containing. It has to find it's way into your GI tract. If you had licked the toaster handle, OK, that would be a problem but you don't do that! No one does that. :o Gluten can be handled by even the most sensitive of Celiacs (of which I am one) but you have to remember to wash your hands, always, before eating, or always after touching something you are unsure of. Everyone should be doing that, not just the Celiac population. It's a hygiene issue.

GottaSki Mentor

I really feel the need to clarify this......you cannot be glutened by merely touching something that may be gluten containing. It has to find it's way into your GI tract. If you had licked the toaster handle, OK, that would be a problem but you don't do that! No one does that. :o Gluten can be handled by even the most sensitive of Celiacs (of which I am one) but you have to remember to wash your hands, always, before eating, or always after touching something you are unsure of. Everyone should be doing that, not just the Celiac population. It's a hygiene issue.

Gemini is correct - you can't get glutened by touching surfaces containing gluten. In the shared "kitchen" of our office there was no sink - so rather than trudge down the hall to wash after warming my food I decided to use a paper towel to open/close the micro. It is far better to wash each time you encounter gluten - just not always convenient.

IrishHeart Veteran

Not a dumb question at all, Kiki!

I am thinking you are having a reaction from gluten ingestion, period, so it is difficult to blame the toaster or the muffin or anything, for that matter. I just blame the gluten.

Under a gluten challenge, who can say when/how you will feel worse? None of us. Inflammation from gluten/celiac can last a long time.

For example, even after my DX and being gluten-free, I was still very ill for quite some time.

Unfortunately, until you are gluten-free entirely, you may feel pretty rotten, hon. Sorry. :(

Gemini Experienced

Gemini is correct - you can't get glutened by touching surfaces containing gluten. In the shared "kitchen" of our office there was no sink - so rather than trudge down the hall to wash after warming my food I decided to use a paper towel to open/close the micro. It is far better to wash each time you encounter gluten - just not always convenient.

Thanks for clarifying that, GottaSki! I KNOW you know your stuff with regards to Celiac and I didn't want to annoy anyone but if you don't clarify that, you know what will happen! ;):o

GottaSki Mentor

Didn't annoy me in the least - I often add CYA statements and am glad you were covering mine this time when I was unclear -- Thanks!

GFinDC Veteran

I'm still doing a gluten challenge before my endoscopy, but I'm trying to only eat gluten at night because it makes me so sick. This morning at work I made my gluten-free English Muffin in the shared Toaster Oven -- as I have done for the past week.

I always lay foil down on the shelf before I put the muffin in so it's only touching brand new foil.

But I got sick soon after (for me it's massive fatigue and muscle weakness, and have been sick all day. Could I have been glutened by the toaster oven even though I used my own new foil over the shelf?

(Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question!)

Hi Kiki,

The immune system reaction doesn't stop after a few hours. It will keep going as long as you are eating gluten. Your symptoms may vary during the challenge, getting better or worse at times. If you are eating gluten every day for the challenge, your reactions each day are kind of unpredictable. It is possible they will get progressively stronger over time, or they may plateau for a while or even taper off. Everyone has their own experience and it is not something standard for each person. Some people have no symptoms at all but still have damage to their gut going on.

KikiB Explorer

Lick the toaster handle. LOL!!! I am already super germ conscious because I have such a weak immune system. Not going to catch me licking anything in that kitchen. :)

KikiB Explorer

Not a dumb question at all, Kiki!

I am thinking you are having a reaction from gluten ingestion, period, so it is difficult to blame the toaster or the muffin or anything, for that matter. I just blame the gluten.

Under a gluten challenge, who can say when/how you will feel worse? None of us. Inflammation from gluten/celiac can last a long time.

For example, even after my DX and being gluten-free, I was still very ill for quite some time.

Unfortunately, until you are gluten-free entirely, you may feel pretty rotten, hon. Sorry. :(

That makes sense. Since I usually react so quickly to food, I just assumed it was the breakfast muffin.

Gemini Experienced

Lick the toaster handle. LOL!!! I am already super germ conscious because I have such a weak immune system. Not going to catch me licking anything in that kitchen. :)

I figured that would get your attention! :P

KikiB Explorer

Hi Kiki,

The immune system reaction doesn't stop after a few hours. It will keep going as long as you are eating gluten. Your symptoms may vary during the challenge, getting better or worse at times. If you are eating gluten every day for the challenge, your reactions each day are kind of unpredictable. It is possible they will get progressively stronger over time, or they may plateau for a while or even taper off. Everyone has their own experience and it is not something standard for each person. Some people have no symptoms at all but still have damage to their gut going on.

Thanks! I would hope for a tapering off, but not happening so far.

Chiana Apprentice

They are Glutino English Muffins and I have been eating them for breakfast for the last week and a half without problems.

Maybe I am reacting to the previous day's gluten, hadn't thought of that. Although I felt ok until I ate that muffin. I kind of feel like I am getting worse by the day the last few days. Sigh.

I will use your suggestion of the paper towel and won't touch the handle or buttons anymore. Thanks!

When I did a challenge it was a slow, downhill progression of worsening fatigue, brain-fog, and depression. It wasn't any one thing, and I would feel better or worse in a fashion seemingly unconnected to what I had just eaten. All I knew was that after 4 or 5 days, I felt like I was carrying around a bag of bricks. For some of us, it is cumulative.

IrishHeart Veteran

When I did a challenge it was a slow, downhill progression of worsening fatigue, brain-fog, and depression. It wasn't any one thing, and I would feel better or worse in a fashion seemingly unconnected to what I had just eaten. All I knew was that after 4 or 5 days, I felt like I was carrying around a bag of bricks. For some of us, it is cumulative.

This the most descriptive explanation of a gluten challenge I have ever read. Glad you saw the thread and posted!

Sorry you had to go through it :( but it does clarify the impact on the human body --for readers of this thread and for the OP and for me---as I know I could never withstand such a thing and was relieved my GI doc did not ask me to do it. I feel this way after a minor CC incident and cannot imagine doing it for any length of time.

KikiB Explorer

This the most descriptive explanation of a gluten challenge I have ever read. Glad you saw the thread and posted!

Sorry you had to go through it :( but it does clarify the impact on the human body --for readers of this thread and for the OP and for me---as I know I could never withstand such a thing and was relived my GI doc did not ask me to do it. I feel this way after a minor CC incident and cannot imagine doing it for any length of time.

That was a great description and exactly how I feel. Only throw in extras like, yesterday I had a 1/2 of a cookie in the afternoon, and then halfway through my commute was unsure if I was going to make it home in time. So I don't know if it was the cookie -- or like Chiana said, a cumulative reaction.

What does OP stand for? I'm sure it's really obvious, and I'll feel stupid after you tell me, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. :)

mushroom Proficient

OP refers to the original poster who started the thread. :)

KikiB Explorer

OP refers to the original poster who started the thread. :)

Thanks!!

IrishHeart Veteran

....and not for "Old Person" which I most definitely would not like to be called.

GottaSki Mentor

....and not a stupid question at all...I scratch my head regularly over abbreviations here - FWIW - took me way too long to figure out ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

....and not a stupid question at all...I scratch my head regularly over abbreviations here - FWIW - took me way too long to figure out ;)

Me too... hmm.. "filled with ice water"?

But the one that stumps me still is

SIL -- is it son- in- law or sister- in -law?

and DD--well, at first, I thought it was really, really bad Diarrhea--like "disastrous diarrhea".

and when Sylvia says this to me : "Pffft!"

it makes me laugh and I know she is really saying "Psshaw" or piffle!

...us OP (older people) with brain frogs take longer to learn these new things and we are easily amused.

:)

Archived