68 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Lick the toaster handle. LOL!!! I am already super germ conscious because I have such a weak immune system. Not going to catch me licking anything in that kitchen. :)

I figured that would get your attention! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hi Kiki,

The immune system reaction doesn't stop after a few hours. It will keep going as long as you are eating gluten. Your symptoms may vary during the challenge, getting better or worse at times. If you are eating gluten every day for the challenge, your reactions each day are kind of unpredictable. It is possible they will get progressively stronger over time, or they may plateau for a while or even taper off. Everyone has their own experience and it is not something standard for each person. Some people have no symptoms at all but still have damage to their gut going on.

Thanks! I would hope for a tapering off, but not happening so far.

#18 Chiana

Chiana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

They are Glutino English Muffins and I have been eating them for breakfast for the last week and a half without problems.

Maybe I am reacting to the previous day's gluten, hadn't thought of that. Although I felt ok until I ate that muffin. I kind of feel like I am getting worse by the day the last few days. Sigh.

I will use your suggestion of the paper towel and won't touch the handle or buttons anymore. Thanks!

When I did a challenge it was a slow, downhill progression of worsening fatigue, brain-fog, and depression. It wasn't any one thing, and I would feel better or worse in a fashion seemingly unconnected to what I had just eaten. All I knew was that after 4 or 5 days, I felt like I was carrying around a bag of bricks. For some of us, it is cumulative.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

When I did a challenge it was a slow, downhill progression of worsening fatigue, brain-fog, and depression. It wasn't any one thing, and I would feel better or worse in a fashion seemingly unconnected to what I had just eaten. All I knew was that after 4 or 5 days, I felt like I was carrying around a bag of bricks. For some of us, it is cumulative.

This the most descriptive explanation of a gluten challenge I have ever read. Glad you saw the thread and posted!

Sorry you had to go through it :( but it does clarify the impact on the human body --for readers of this thread and for the OP and for me---as I know I could never withstand such a thing and was relieved my GI doc did not ask me to do it. I feel this way after a minor CC incident and cannot imagine doing it for any length of time.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

This the most descriptive explanation of a gluten challenge I have ever read. Glad you saw the thread and posted!

Sorry you had to go through it :( but it does clarify the impact on the human body --for readers of this thread and for the OP and for me---as I know I could never withstand such a thing and was relived my GI doc did not ask me to do it. I feel this way after a minor CC incident and cannot imagine doing it for any length of time.

That was a great description and exactly how I feel. Only throw in extras like, yesterday I had a 1/2 of a cookie in the afternoon, and then halfway through my commute was unsure if I was going to make it home in time. So I don't know if it was the cookie -- or like Chiana said, a cumulative reaction.

What does OP stand for? I'm sure it's really obvious, and I'll feel stupid after you tell me, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. :)

#21 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

OP refers to the original poster who started the thread. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

OP refers to the original poster who started the thread. :)

Thanks!!

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

....and not for "Old Person" which I most definitely would not like to be called.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#24 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

....and not a stupid question at all...I scratch my head regularly over abbreviations here - FWIW - took me way too long to figure out ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

....and not a stupid question at all...I scratch my head regularly over abbreviations here - FWIW - took me way too long to figure out ;)

Me too... hmm.. "filled with ice water"?

But the one that stumps me still is

SIL -- is it son- in- law or sister- in -law?

and DD--well, at first, I thought it was really, really bad Diarrhea--like "disastrous diarrhea".

and when Sylvia says this to me : "Pffft!"

it makes me laugh and I know she is really saying "Psshaw" or piffle!

...us OP (older people) with brain frogs take longer to learn these new things and we are easily amused.

:)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

and when Sylvia says this to me : "Pffft!"

it makes me laugh and I know she is really saying "Psshaw" or piffle!

:)

Now really, does ANYone still say Psshaw!!?? :lol:

The one that got me for a while was KWIM? :D I guess it's better than "you know"...... one of my pet peeves - NO, I don't.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Now really, does ANYone still say Psshaw!!?? :lol:

The one that got me for a while was KWIM? :D I guess it's better than "you know"...... one of my pet peeves - NO, I don't.

or "piffle" for that matter ? :lol:

arrgh!! on the "you know what I mean?" <_<
I have a relative who punctuates every sentence with this ---and my sister and I mouth to each other "no we don't" --because she never really says anything. No full sentences whatsoever.

In 30 years, I still have no clue what this woman is talking about.

and FWIW ...to the OP, we have not really gone OT, as we are trying to amuse you during your difficult gluten challenge. ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

The one that got me for a while was KWIM? :D

Hey, I'm stumped again :blink:
Kite with insufficient momentum?
Kid with immature Mom?
Koalas wading in marsh?
something to do with a kangaroo or kazoo?

IMO (in my opinion) we are certainly OT (off topic) - hopefully making the OP (original poster) :D while laughing at ourselves.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,437 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

uh oh ...well, now 3 of us are involved with these hijinks and shenanigans and hooliganism...and so, we should probably stop.
IMHO, FWIW, KWIM? so, let's KIO!

:lol:

poor Kiki. She must think we're OOOH.(out of our heads) I may have made that last one up. :unsure:

but, definitely do not lick the toaster oven handle.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

uh oh ...well, now 3 of us are involved with these hijinks and shenanigans and hooliganism...and so, we should probably stop.
IMHO, FWIW, KWIM? so, let's KIO!

:lol:

poor Kiki. She must think we're OOOH.(out of our heads) I may have made that last one up. :unsure:

but, definitely do not lick the toaster oven handle.

I am laughing! And I'm up on keeping up... except the FWIW and KWIM... :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: