10 replies to this topic

#1 Markm

Markm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

I do not have celiac disease, but I recently discovered I am allergic to most grains. I have been on a gluten free diet for about 3 weeks now and am feeling much better in countless ways. One thing I have noticed, however, is that alcohol seems to affect me much more. My tolerance seems to have gone out the window. I had a few glasses of wine a few nights ago and got blitzed. Has anyone else found this to be so, or am I imagining this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

I do not have celiac disease, but I recently discovered I am allergic to most grains. I have been on a gluten free diet for about 3 weeks now and am feeling much better in countless ways. One thing I have noticed, however, is that alcohol seems to affect me much more. My tolerance seems to have gone out the window. I had a few glasses of wine a few nights ago and got blitzed. Has anyone else found this to be so, or am I imagining this?

YES! :D It's a well documented phenomena around here. :rolleyes:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Imagine how I feel after 5 glasses last night! LOL
"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#4 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

OH YES!!!!!! - I posted about this several months ago because I noticed that I was completely hammered after one or two drinks since I went gluten-free. Now I was a lightweight to begin with, but I could handle a few glasses of wine with no problem. Now? Forget it, two glasses of wine at dinner will have me under the table. My fiance jokes that now I'm an even cheaper date! :) Someone on here suggested that I tried potato vodka - I bought a bottle and its been sitting in my garage (frankly I've been too tired to drink) but I will try some and let you know if it makes a difference!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Yeah. I don't suggest a day of wine tasting at wineries.

Been there, done that. Painted a white car purple if ya know what I mean.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 Mr Happy

Mr Happy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Trust me :rolleyes: I've gone the other way.

3 glasses of wine and I was slurring my words, managed to do a bottle last night while cooking dinner and wasn't slurring... Yeah I know I shouldn't be drinking yet, couldn't help myself though B)

#7 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Oh you guys scare me. :ph34r:

I don't drink because i don't like the idea of a "Buzz" (can't stand that building).

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Trust me :rolleyes: I've gone the other way.

3 glasses of wine and I was slurring my words, managed to do a bottle last night while cooking dinner and wasn't slurring... Yeah I know I shouldn't be drinking yet, couldn't help myself though B)

You just make me laugh, Mr. Happy! :lol: I am the same way...I could not tolerate alcohol at all pre-diagnosis but now that I have healed nicely, I can drink my wine and handle it just fine. I still don't drink a lot because I am a lightweight but I do enjoy a glass or two, especially while cooking! Makes it all the more fun!

Nothing wrong with drinking wine at first, as long as it doesn't make you sick. ;)

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I could not drink at all while I was very ill for a few years, but now that I have healed, well....CHEERS!

I will admit, however, that my days of 2 painfully dry martinis (and by that, I mean absolutely no vermouth at all) are over.

I've turned into a wimp. I am also a lot smaller than I used to be, so maybe that's part of it. In any case, a small one very cold one is just right.

And absolutely almost always while making dinner. :)

Unless it is champagne and then, 3 glasses. No clue why the difference.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 Duhlina

Duhlina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Huh. I've been saying, for me, it's the opposite. Alcohol just doesn't seem to have the effect it had before. I feel like when I do drink, I can drink a lot more and still not catch a buzz like I used to. It's like my body metabolizes it differently or something now. My husband, of course, tells me I'm wrong but I swear it's the truth.

The last time I had a few cocktails, I had Three Olives Grape vodka - which I confirmed was gluten free via their website. I don't know what got me that night (because I made my own dinner) but holy moly did I get glutened BAD.

I'm to the point that I just don't even want to drink anymore....and that STINKS.

#11 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

If it helps, I have had success with Tito's and Vikingfjord vodkas. Have not had Ciroc, but other people have reported good experiences with it.

Put me down as a new cheap date. I used to drink like a fish, to the point where it's like 'Shouldn't you have thrown up by now? That's wierd.' And now it takes two drinks of vodka and water or two glasses of wine and I'm hammered. I try to enjoy the fact that it takes less money now...
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: