#1 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Heyy so got my blood results back Friday listed the tests i got below

Full blood count, Glucose random, Liver function tests, Thyroid function test and Urea and electrolytes for gp and ESR

All came back normal apart from my Liver which was high, anything i should interpret from this? I have to have it retaken in another 3 weeks to see if it changes any. I was reading that people with celiac/intolerance's can have higher liver enzymes though not sure why. Thx

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

My liver was high at celiac dx and lowered at each check - was normal at my one year celiac follow-up.

From what I understand the elevated liver enzymes is your liver working overtime to help clear waste. Made sense to me that mine was elevated with the stress my body was under. I would certainly ask your doctor what else could cause elevated liver enzymes.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 nickymacd

nickymacd

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hi there.

Has your doc advised you to do anything differently during these 3 weeks? And do you know what 'high' means in terms of numbers? My LFT came back at 40 when average is 35. I was worried but doc said it's only a bit high and she sees results in the hundreds. I felt reassured and have retake test in 6 months. Despite reassurance i'm still going to reduce alcohol intake. Did your doc give any indication as to why liver test might be raised?
Good luck.
Nicky

#4 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

My liver was high at celiac dx and lowered at each check - was normal at my one year celiac follow-up.

From what I understand the elevated liver enzymes is your liver working overtime to help clear waste. Made sense to me that mine was elevated with the stress my body was under. I would certainly ask your doctor what else could cause elevated liver enzymes.

hey we only spoke over the phone i guess it wasn't super high or it would have been more urgent. Guess il just have to see what the next results say. Thx

#5 deals88

deals88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi there.

Has your doc advised you to do anything differently during these 3 weeks? And do you know what 'high' means in terms of numbers? My LFT came back at 40 when average is 35. I was worried but doc said it's only a bit high and she sees results in the hundreds. I felt reassured and have retake test in 6 months. Despite reassurance i'm still going to reduce alcohol intake. Did your doc give any indication as to why liver test might be raised?
Good luck.
Nicky

Hey Nicky, No the doctor hasn't advised anything it was just a chat over the phone so it was hard to get much. I dont have the number suppose i should find out. He just asked me about my alcohol intake which for the last 3 months has been zero though as ive already discussed with him i did live the "binge" lifestyle for around 3-4 years. The thing is its easy to just blame the alcohol and interesting that people with Celiac do have higher liver numbers.

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi there.

Good luck.
Nicky

Hi Nicky-

My personal experience matches what your doctor said. My was slightly high at Celiac Diagnosis low 40s with reference range of 0-33. My Celiac Doc told me that it is quite common for elevated liver enzymes with active Celiac Disease. It came down steadily over time gluten-free and was in normal range by one year. I'm at 3.5 years gluten-free and it has held steady around 15 for over a year.

Not suggesting you should drink more, but I did enjoy a glass or two of red wine many evenings while my liver numbers were steadily falling.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: