Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Is Your Favorite Alcoholic Drink?

28 posts in this topic

I am now a recovering beer drinker (seriously, gluten free beer blows, sorry) and looking for some good - and easy to make - drinks. I have found a few ciders to be OK, but most aren't really my favorite (and those with added flavors give me a headache)!

What are your favorite drinks? Here are mine so far..

- Hot Whiskey with Powers Irish Whiskey (best winter drink, Powers is triple distilled and there are no gluten ingredients in their mash (according to their website).

- Salty Dog with Ciroc Vodka - Grapefruit and vodkawith a salted rim. Ciroc is a grape vodka, so totally gluten-free, and my favorite!

- for the beer connoisseur, the most amazing cider/beer replacement I have found is Spire Mountain Dark and Dry Apple Cider! Unfortunately it is not available in the midwest, where I live.

Anyone else want to share?

Ads by Google:

I was always a beer drinker before being diagnosed. Other alcoholic beverages just do not give me the same pleasure. So now I have aquired a taste for gluten-free beer. After 5 years, either I have forgotten what real beer tastes like, or gluten-free beer is getting better. I will agree with you that some of it is pretty bad, but I quite like La Messagere (the red only), New Planet (had it on a trip to Boulder and wish I could buy it here), and Bards. If I am out where these are not available I will ask for a Strongbow (Cider).

If you want a warm drink, I like to use non-hard cider. Get the good kind with the bits in it. Microwave to warm. Add - rum & cinnamon schnapps or cinnamon syrup or carmel coffee syrup. You have to check which are gluten-free.

I stick to wine, and lots of it :D

I stick to wine, and lots of it :D

Of course! Me too! But I thought that was implied. :lol:

Martini1-1.jpg

Red wine is always fine, too.

Oscar and I totally agree!!!!!!!

I'm about ready to go have a Bombay Sapphire martini---freezing cold and bone dry--as in absolutely no vermouth :lol: ---right now.

Thank God for gut healing. I admit it, I missed booze.

It's only 4:52, but I'm old enough and who cares?

We know your fave, Oscar.... I think we should rename it "Oscartini" :)

Red wine - any will do in a pinch, but partial to Old Vine Zin

Cosmo - out on the town

Black Russian - favorite drink in the snow

currently abstaining do to some pesky gut inflammation, but have tolerated red wine quite well and very often whilst living gluten-free - and plan to again just as soon as possible :D

Vodka & lime juice. If I want a sweet drink I just make it vodka, lime juice & sugar. OR & this is yum, yum, yum! Vodka & apricot nectar. To die for!

A fine sipping anejo or reposado tequila on the rocks. Don Julio is very smooth , melts in your mouth. There also some new organic tequilas available on the market that are preety good.

OR & this is yum, yum, yum! Vodka & apricot nectar. To die for!

OHHh! I have to try that! I love apricot nectar, but don't drink it often. My mom would give that to us when we were sick as kids. She also gave us blackberry brandy, but that is a different story. I wonder if blackberry brandy is gluten free....

Black Russian - favorite drink in the snow

What is in a Black Russian?

What is in a Black Russian?

Kahlua + Vodka = Black Russian

Kahlua + Vodka + Milk = White Russian

Kahlua + Coffee = yummy :)

I will agree with you that some of it is pretty bad, but I quite like La Messagere (the red only), New Planet (had it on a trip to Boulder and wish I could buy it here), and Bards. If I am out where these are not available I will ask for a Strongbow (Cider).

Thanks! I have nev er seen the La Messagere. I think that New Planets "IPA" is pretty good, but I am just not a fan of IPAs. Their ale is terrible! I am not a fan of Bards. I am pretty sure that I am not going to find anything to beat a Guiness!

Kahlua + Vodka = Black Russian

Kahlua + Vodka + Milk = White Russian

Kahlua + Coffee = yummy :)

Oh! Thanks! The milk in the white russian always kept me away from the whole "russian" genre.

Thanks! I have nev er seen the La Messagere. I think that New Planets "IPA" is pretty good, but I am just not a fan of IPAs. Their ale is terrible! I am not a fan of Bards. I am pretty sure that I am not going to find anything to beat a Guiness!

My Irish Hubs, who views Guinness as "mother's milk"---says the Green's Dubble ale is close enough.

(I do wonder if he lies about that so I do not feel guilty that he gave it up for me.) :D

Ah yes. Guinness. I plan to request a glass of this on my deathbed. B)

My Irish Hubs, who views Guinness as "mother's milk"---says the Green's Dubble ale is close enough.

(I do wonder if he lies about that so I do not feel guilty that he gave it up for me.) :D

THANKS! I have never seen Green's in the stores around here. :angry:

THANKS! I have never seen Green's in the stores around here. :angry:

The local beer distributor here happily orders it for us. See if your nearby one will for you too! :)

Ah yes. Guinness. I plan to request a glass of this on my deathbed. B)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll share that thought with the hubs.

I have to say the Guinness I had in Ireland was just ridiculously creamy and delicious (and I don't even drink it as a rule) ...this was years ago, of course. :(

I am going to have to try to get a hold of some Greens. I found the website for the North American destributor.

My link

I am going to have to try to get a hold of some Greens. I found the website for the North American destributor.

My link

Maybe you guys could ask your local beer distributor to order it for you. They are pretty good about that.

Deep South ladt here. Bourbon and branch... that's bourbon and water above the Mason-Dixon. I do find, though, that sour mash bourbons such as Jack Daniels, give me a reaction. Others don't.

Vodka & apricot nectar. To die for!

That does sound good! May have to step out of my wine box and give it a try :D