6 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Anyone know if vicks is safe? I mean the vaporub not the lozenges etc. I have a bad cold right now..nervous to take anything for it but wanted to use vaporub for it. Or even if it wasn't safe for application because of possible contamination..do you think it's safe to sniff the jar? lol I don't THINK gluten carries in vapor?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Anyone know if vicks is safe? I mean the vaporub not the lozenges etc. I have a bad cold right now..nervous to take anything for it but wanted to use vaporub for it. Or even if it wasn't safe for application because of possible contamination..do you think it's safe to sniff the jar? lol I don't THINK gluten carries in vapor?

I can't imagine that Vick's Vaporub would be a gluten concern. Feel better soon. :)

Vicks VapoRub ointment regular, active ingredients - Camphor 4.8%, Eucalyptus oil 1.2%, and Menthol 2.6%.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Depending on where you are putting it I may or may not worry about it. But because it is Vicks and because some of their products do contain gluten, if you are truly worried I would call and confirm that it is processed in a gluten free facility. My mother used to rub it on my little brother's chest at bedtime when he got super sick in the winters. I do know people though who put a dab on their upper lip, which would for obvious reasons be unsafe if it isn't gluten free.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

As Lisa stated, Vick's Vapor Rub is safe to use. There is no gluten in the ingredients and most importantly of all......would you really want to get that into your mouth? ;) :o

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

I know this sounds crazy, but you can google it and see - the BEST place to put Vicks when you have a cold is on the soles of your feet! Seriously. I don't know why but it works better than on your chest.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

I know this sounds crazy, but you can google it and see - the BEST place to put Vicks when you have a cold is on the soles of your feet! Seriously. I don't know why but it works better than on your chest.

That might have something to do with acupuncture pressure points and the meridian in your body. You know, if you are trying to quit smoking, they use acu-points in the ear lobe. That's my guess! :D

#7 BushMommy

BushMommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

I do this all the time! Even on my daughter using the baby Vicks. According to SNOPES, some scientists did research to see why it works, but they couldn't figure it out. They just determined that it works 100% of the time.
(Also, If you put garlic between your toes, within a few minutes you can taste the garlic in your mouth. CRAZY!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: