67 replies to this topic

#1 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

This will be my first gluten free. Not sure how supportive my hubby will be, when I asked if he would figure out a gluten free stuffing, he just ignored my need and said there wasn't any. He loves to cook for family gatherings, but not if I have a special need. :( So I need easy ideas I can cook.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Julesglutenfree.com has a great thanksgiving cookbook. My first thanksgiving was intimidating, but this cookbook helped so much. I make all the fixins, but pick up the turkey from Boston Market. It saves so much time.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

This will be my first gluten free. Not sure how supportive my hubby will be, when I asked if he would figure out a gluten free stuffing, he just ignored my need and said there wasn't any. He loves to cook for family gatherings, but not if I have a special need. :( So I need easy ideas I can cook.

Okay...here are some choices:

Rice and sausage stuffing/in turkey
Gluten free cornbread stuffing/in turkey
Separate gluten stuffing in a pan
Let him do his own thing, and cook a Cornish hen for yourself.(a mini-me)

There will be many recipes that will be offered here for Thanksgiving. Maybe he might like one, but maybe not.... :unsure:

New holidays are hard sometime.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

OK, I know you were wanting stuffing ideas but I just need to talk about pumpkin pie :rolleyes: :lol:

The first year or two, my mom, the chief cook at Thanksgiving, just poured a bit of the pie filling into a custard cup and baked it like that. (If you follow the recipe on the back of the Libby's can of pumpkin, it's already gluten free).

At one point, I just poured a pie's worth of filling into a pie pan (sprayed with Pam) and cooked it till it passed the done test. Made another pie using a store bought crust. The crustless pie went first . . . had to fight people off to make sure that my daughter got some . . . everyone was looking for ways to reduce calories or cut carbs. Who knew?
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

OK, I know you were wanting stuffing ideas but I just need to talk about pumpkin pie :rolleyes: :lol:

The first year or two, my mom, the chief cook at Thanksgiving, just poured a bit of the pie filling into a custard cup and baked it like that. (If you follow the recipe on the back of the Libby's can of pumpkin, it's already gluten free).

At one point, I just poured a pie's worth of filling into a pie pan (sprayed with Pam) and cooked it till it passed the done test. Made another pie using a store bought crust. The crustless pie went first . . . had to fight people off to make sure that my daughter got some . . . everyone was looking for ways to reduce calories or cut carbs. Who knew?

Yup...crustless PP is always a hit here!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Aleia's has a great savory stuffing mix, and then I add to it. Some butter, celery, onions, garlic, mushrooms and sausage. I actually stick to my Mom's recipe, I just substitute the gluten-free stuffing mix. Very tasty!! 😄😄 As for dessert, it was mincemeat pie- gluten-free crust ofcourse. Yummm this makes me hungry!!!!
~**caselynn**~

#7 megsybeth

megsybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

I made this corn bread stuffing from Martha Stewart last year and it was great. I wasn't even diagnosed Celiac at the time.

http://www.marthaste...nbread-stuffing

And maybe you should slip some laxatives into your husband's morning coffee to allow him to be more empathetic!

#8 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

I make stuffing from Ener-G rice bread. Only thing it's good for, in my opinion. No matter what you do to that bread, it doesn't lose it's shape. So you can dice it into tiny pieces, toast them, and them mix it into stuffing w/ veggies and broth. And you can do the thing where you add broth, bake, stir, more broth, bake, stir. Can do it five times and bread cubes don't lose their shape. Kinda sketchy, now I think about it....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#9 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

Here's a thought - make everything gluten-free and if he doesn't like it, let him have a little mini turkey (cornish game hen) with his stuffing. Does he really expect you to have the fridge stuffed with left-overs that you cannot eat? Once he puts gluten stuffing in the turkey, its off-limits.

Could he make it in a separate dish and keep it away from all the other food?

I make a cookie pie crust with gluten-free ginger snaps for pumpkin pie. I have heard of putting pecans on the bottom of the pie pan instead of crust to give a bit of crunch. Haven't tried it.

See? These discussions always turn to dessert! :D

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

I'm going to make my stuffing separate this year - we always make ours using cubed bread instead of the hard crouton type stuffing mixes. I haven't decided what bread I want to use yet. I will have to do a trial run this month just to make sure it works well. I made stuffing in the crock pot a couple years ago and it turned out SO well. My family will still want to stuff the turkey with their stuffing - question...can I cook my turkey breast in the same oven as the stuffed turkey?

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

Julesglutenfree.com has a great thanksgiving cookbook. My first thanksgiving was intimidating, but this cookbook helped so much. I make all the fixins, but pick up the turkey from Boston Market. It saves so much time.

Right now her Thanksgiving eBook is FREE through Oct. 18. http://www.julesglut...-p/book-hdy.htm
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#12 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Right now her Thanksgiving eBook is FREE through Oct. 18. http://www.julesglut...-p/book-hdy.htm

Thanks Sylvia . . . can't beat "FREE"!!!
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#13 kvanrens1

kvanrens1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thanks Sylvia - just ordered the ebook. Hubby just told me we are hosting Thanksgiving for his side of the family at our house :blink:

Daughter, age 9, is gluten sensitive, growth hormone deficient, pancreatic insufficient (now resolved), severe lactose intolerance, and other food sensitivities
Blood test/biopsy negative for celiac disease
Enterolab positive for gluten sensitivity
DQ7 and DQ9

Gluten Free since March 2012

#14 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

I use gluten-free bread and vegetable broth bc I'm a vegetarian, but this is by far the best stuffing I've ever had. Have made it gluten-free for the past 6 years and it's loved my all!

http://allrecipes.co...=1&e7=Home Page

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#15 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I use gluten-free bread and vegetable broth bc I'm a vegetarian, but this is by far the best stuffing I've ever had. Have made it gluten-free for the past 6 years and it's loved my all!

http://allrecipes.co...=1&e7=Home Page

What bread do you use?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: