This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Ideas...

DavinaRN

DavinaRN Explorer

This will be my first gluten free. Not sure how supportive my hubby will be, when I asked if he would figure out a gluten free stuffing, he just ignored my need and said there wasn't any. He loves to cook for family gatherings, but not if I have a special need. :( So I need easy ideas I can cook.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
joolsjewels Newbie

Julesglutenfree.com has a great thanksgiving cookbook. My first thanksgiving was intimidating, but this cookbook helped so much. I make all the fixins, but pick up the turkey from Boston Market. It saves so much time.

Lisa Mentor

This will be my first gluten free. Not sure how supportive my hubby will be, when I asked if he would figure out a gluten free stuffing, he just ignored my need and said there wasn't any. He loves to cook for family gatherings, but not if I have a special need. :( So I need easy ideas I can cook.

Okay...here are some choices:

Rice and sausage stuffing/in turkey

Gluten free cornbread stuffing/in turkey

Separate gluten stuffing in a pan

Let him do his own thing, and cook a Cornish hen for yourself.(a mini-me)

There will be many recipes that will be offered here for Thanksgiving. Maybe he might like one, but maybe not.... :unsure:

New holidays are hard sometime.

Darn210 Enthusiast

OK, I know you were wanting stuffing ideas but I just need to talk about pumpkin pie :rolleyes::lol:

The first year or two, my mom, the chief cook at Thanksgiving, just poured a bit of the pie filling into a custard cup and baked it like that. (If you follow the recipe on the back of the Libby's can of pumpkin, it's already gluten free).

At one point, I just poured a pie's worth of filling into a pie pan (sprayed with Pam) and cooked it till it passed the done test. Made another pie using a store bought crust. The crustless pie went first . . . had to fight people off to make sure that my daughter got some . . . everyone was looking for ways to reduce calories or cut carbs. Who knew?

Lisa Mentor

OK, I know you were wanting stuffing ideas but I just need to talk about pumpkin pie :rolleyes::lol:

The first year or two, my mom, the chief cook at Thanksgiving, just poured a bit of the pie filling into a custard cup and baked it like that. (If you follow the recipe on the back of the Libby's can of pumpkin, it's already gluten free).

At one point, I just poured a pie's worth of filling into a pie pan (sprayed with Pam) and cooked it till it passed the done test. Made another pie using a store bought crust. The crustless pie went first . . . had to fight people off to make sure that my daughter got some . . . everyone was looking for ways to reduce calories or cut carbs. Who knew?

Yup...crustless PP is always a hit here!

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Aleia's has a great savory stuffing mix, and then I add to it. Some butter, celery, onions, garlic, mushrooms and sausage. I actually stick to my Mom's recipe, I just substitute the gluten-free stuffing mix. Very tasty!! ?? As for dessert, it was mincemeat pie- gluten-free crust ofcourse. Yummm this makes me hungry!!!!

megsybeth Enthusiast

I made this corn bread stuffing from Martha Stewart last year and it was great. I wasn't even diagnosed Celiac at the time.

Open Original Shared Link

And maybe you should slip some laxatives into your husband's morning coffee to allow him to be more empathetic!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I make stuffing from Ener-G rice bread. Only thing it's good for, in my opinion. No matter what you do to that bread, it doesn't lose it's shape. So you can dice it into tiny pieces, toast them, and them mix it into stuffing w/ veggies and broth. And you can do the thing where you add broth, bake, stir, more broth, bake, stir. Can do it five times and bread cubes don't lose their shape. Kinda sketchy, now I think about it....

kareng Grand Master

Here's a thought - make everything gluten-free and if he doesn't like it, let him have a little mini turkey (cornish game hen) with his stuffing. Does he really expect you to have the fridge stuffed with left-overs that you cannot eat? Once he puts gluten stuffing in the turkey, its off-limits.

Could he make it in a separate dish and keep it away from all the other food?

I make a cookie pie crust with gluten-free ginger snaps for pumpkin pie. I have heard of putting pecans on the bottom of the pie pan instead of crust to give a bit of crunch. Haven't tried it.

See? These discussions always turn to dessert! :D

ndw3363 Contributor

I'm going to make my stuffing separate this year - we always make ours using cubed bread instead of the hard crouton type stuffing mixes. I haven't decided what bread I want to use yet. I will have to do a trial run this month just to make sure it works well. I made stuffing in the crock pot a couple years ago and it turned out SO well. My family will still want to stuff the turkey with their stuffing - question...can I cook my turkey breast in the same oven as the stuffed turkey?

sa1937 Community Regular

Julesglutenfree.com has a great thanksgiving cookbook. My first thanksgiving was intimidating, but this cookbook helped so much. I make all the fixins, but pick up the turkey from Boston Market. It saves so much time.

Right now her Thanksgiving eBook is FREE through Oct. 18. Open Original Shared Link

Darn210 Enthusiast

Right now her Thanksgiving eBook is FREE through Oct. 18. Open Original Shared Link

Thanks Sylvia . . . can't beat "FREE"!!!

kvanrens1 Explorer

Thanks Sylvia - just ordered the ebook. Hubby just told me we are hosting Thanksgiving for his side of the family at our house :blink:

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I use gluten-free bread and vegetable broth bc I'm a vegetarian, but this is by far the best stuffing I've ever had. Have made it gluten-free for the past 6 years and it's loved my all!

kareng Grand Master

I use gluten-free bread and vegetable broth bc I'm a vegetarian, but this is by far the best stuffing I've ever had. Have made it gluten-free for the past 6 years and it's loved my all!

What bread do you use?

celiac-mommy Collaborator

What bread do you use?

I make 2 loaves of Pamela's

sa1937 Community Regular

Yes FREE is good! And you might also want to check out Open Original Shared Link. Lots of recipes. Some articles are restricted to subscribers only and others can be read by everyone.

Jules Shepard also freely shares recipes on her blog: Open Original Shared Link

sa1937 Community Regular

I make stuffing from Ener-G rice bread. Only thing it's good for, in my opinion. No matter what you do to that bread, it doesn't lose it's shape. So you can dice it into tiny pieces, toast them, and them mix it into stuffing w/ veggies and broth. And you can do the thing where you add broth, bake, stir, more broth, bake, stir. Can do it five times and bread cubes don't lose their shape. Kinda sketchy, now I think about it....

I think you could run over it with a truck and it would still be intact. laugh.gif

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

We considered using it to patch drywall at one point....

lovegrov Collaborator

Some might see this as heresy, but I can understand somebody not wanting to change their stuffing/dressing recipe to gluten free. IMO, it doesn't taste the same and if you have a recipe that everybody already likes, different is not necessarily good. Thanksgiving food is comfort food. Several years ago I tried making the oyster stuffing recipe I loved with gluten-free bread and YUCK! Bread has improved and my tastebuds have changed, so I might try it again.

richard

ndw3363 Contributor

That's the same recipe I used two years ago! How funny - I'm planning on doing it again only this time with gluten-free bread. Ok, now I want turkey and stuffing.

bartfull Rising Star

Lst year I attended the community Thanksgiving dinner our American Legion puts on every year. Everything is homemade from scratch and it is all SO GOOD! All of my friends go there now too. Of course I brought all of my own sides, but I did risk the turkey, which wasn't stuffed. Bad mistake. I think the turkey was injected with something that had corn in it. Or maybe it was CC, I don't know.

But I enjoy spending the time with my friends, so this year I am just bringing ALL of my own food. And now that I can eat Udi's again, I can even make my own stuffing. :)

Adalaide Mentor

This will be my first gluten free Thanksgiving. I've gotten accustomed to the way my husband's family is not nearly as family oriented as mine is around holidays. Anyway, I'm the only person in the family willing (or apparently knowledgeable or capable) of cooking for an army of people. I grew up helping my grammy prepare holiday meals for about 22, that number exceeds 30 now most holidays, but anyway, I can cook. I think I can handle 7. His family is always astounded by my spread of turkey or ham, stuffing, vegetables, desserts, homemade pickles, deviled eggs, etc etc etc.

This year I'll keep it simple. Turkey, probably a cornbread stuffing, my oh-so-amazing, you'll think you died and went to heaven gravy, enough mashed potatoes to choke a donkey and some candied carrots or yams or something. And of course a crustless pumpkin pie and cheesecake. I don't really need both but I can't think of one good reason not to make both.

Honestly, other than the stuffing and the fact that I'll use cornstarch instead of flour to thicken my gravy I can't think of anything I'll change to make my Thanksgiving gluten free. Crustless pies, but who needs crust! It just gets in the way of what we're really after anyway.

kareng Grand Master

And of course a crustless pumpkin pie and cheesecake. I don't really need both but I can't think of one good reason not to make both.

7 people need more than 1 pie so, of course yo need a second dessert! ;)

bartfull Rising Star

Can you send me some of that gravy? :lol:

My Mom made the best gravy in the world, and even though (I think) I do it just like she did, mine always comes out flavorless. All you can taste in mine is the cornstarch. (YUCK!) I have tried everything! Someone said I need to "cook" the drippings longer. I did and it didn't work. Some have told me to use bullion cubes, but Mom never did. One time I cooked the heck out of the giblets and added that broth to the drippings. It STILL tasted like corn starch. WHAT am I doing WRONG???

Archived