67 replies to this topic

#31 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

I'm going to make my stuffing separate this year - we always make ours using cubed bread instead of the hard crouton type stuffing mixes. I haven't decided what bread I want to use yet. I will have to do a trial run this month just to make sure it works well. I made stuffing in the crock pot a couple years ago and it turned out SO well. My family will still want to stuff the turkey with their stuffing - question...can I cook my turkey breast in the same oven as the stuffed turkey?

How do you make stuffing in the crockpot?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Bart, when i make a soup or whathave you, I just use those. Add a little water to get it up, and it makes a pretty good stalk. I don't see why it couldn't do the same for gravy (maybe add a little EVOO to it?). Someone else probably knows better than i do though.

#33 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I use gluten-free bread and vegetable broth bc I'm a vegetarian, but this is by far the best stuffing I've ever had. Have made it gluten-free for the past 6 years and it's loved my all!

http://allrecipes.co...=1&e7=Home Page

How do you make stuffing in the crockpot?

This one Rachelle (celiac-mommy)posted is for a crockpot.

I think I will have to take the dinner to my mom's house this year. I could make stuffingin one crockpot and my scalloped potatoes in the other.

potatoes use extra sharp dry cheddar (not Kraft) & I didn't use parsnips:

http://crockpot365.b...s-augratin.html

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#34 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

This one Rachelle (celiac-mommy)posted is for a crockpot.

I think I will have to take the dinner to my mom's house this year. I could make stuffingin one crockpot and my scalloped potatoes in the other.

potatoes use extra sharp dry cheddar (not Kraft) & I didn't use parsnips:

http://crockpot365.b...s-augratin.html

I made those potatoes again last night. You can crockpot it or cook in the oven

In a bowl, combine:
16oz container sour cream
1 box condensed cream of mushroom soup-I use Pacific brand
2+ cups shredded cheddar cheese

Then add 1 pkg frozen hashbrowns-I use the cubed ones

Mix, pour into 9x13 pan, bake 350 for about 45 min or crockpot for 6-8hrs on low/4-5 hours on high

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#35 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

OK. A lot of times there really aren't a lot of drippings in the pan when I am cooking small meals for myself. Can I just add water and scrape up the crusty bits, then cook 'em? When I make pork chops or even chicken breasts, I usually only cook two at a time and there just isn't much left in the pan. I don't usually season either of those things, although I used to season the gravy itself with sage and the like. Should I add butter to the meat while cooking to get more drippings?

I used to use Heinz gravy in the jar but with all of my crazy intolerances I'm afraid to try anything like that now.

How To Make A Gravy Roux

Okay. Take the pan the meat was cooked in, with the remaining crusty bits, and add to it a form of fat, such as butter, margarine, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, or whatever you are not allergic to.

Melt or heat it up, stirring and scraping the pan bits into it.

When it is heated, add the gluten free flour substitute of your choice, anything from rice flour to (cornstarch- not you, that's a generic instruction) to sourghum mixtures, to seed or nut meal flours or mixtures.

You are going to cook the flour mixture in the hot melted butter/oil. This will brown it and give it a nice taste and smell. You may add salt and pepper to it, as well as any spices you might like, such as sage for a chicken/poultry gravy. You may also add other seasoning ingredients, such as a dash of coconut aminos, wheat free soy sauce, curry spices, a splash of wine or balsamic vinegar, garlic, onion, etc. You can also add a bit of mashed pumpkin to thicken it.

Once the roux mixture has cooked for awhile, then s l o w l y add some liquid to it, and stir it very well, to make a gravy sauce.

#36 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

How To Make A Gravy Roux

Okay. Take the pan the meat was cooked in, with the remaining crusty bits, and add to it a form of fat, such as butter, margarine, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, or whatever you are not allergic to.

Melt or heat it up, stirring and scraping the pan bits into it.

When it is heated, add the gluten free flour substitute of your choice, anything from rice flour to (cornstarch- not you, that's a generic instruction) to sourghum mixtures, to seed or nut meal flours or mixtures.

You are going to cook the flour mixture in the hot melted butter/oil. This will brown it and give it a nice taste and smell. You may add salt and pepper to it, as well as any spices you might like, such as sage for a chicken/poultry gravy. You may also add other seasoning ingredients, such as a dash of coconut aminos, wheat free soy sauce, curry spices, a splash of wine or balsamic vinegar, garlic, onion, etc. You can also add a bit of mashed pumpkin to thicken it.

Once the roux mixture has cooked for awhile, then s l o w l y add some liquid to it, and stir it very well, to make a gravy sauce.

THANK YOU!!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#37 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I made those potatoes again last night. You can crockpot it or cook in the oven

In a bowl, combine:
16oz container sour cream
1 box condensed cream of mushroom soup-I use Pacific brand
2+ cups shredded cheddar cheese

Then add 1 pkg frozen hashbrowns-I use the cubed ones

Mix, pour into 9x13 pan, bake 350 for about 45 min or crockpot for 6-8hrs on low/4-5 hours on high

I've made those in the oven, too. I have added cooked chicken to make it a main dish. I have split it into to pans and frozen one to cook later.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#38 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

what seasonings do you guys add to the bird? Butter, salt and pepper is what i'd do.

#39 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

I've made those in the oven, too. I have added cooked chicken to make it a main dish. I have split it into to pans and frozen one to cook later.

That is my favorite potato casserole - we make it in the oven and I top mine with buttered cornflakes (the gluten-free ones of course). Always always make it for Easter with ham.

#40 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Last year was my first gluten-free Thanksgiving and we just used the standard stuffing recipe that we'd been using (my Grandma's), but substituted gluten-free bread instead (I toasted a bunch of UDI's white sandwich bread and crushed it into breadcrumbs). I thought it came out fine... for a gravy thickener I just use cornstarch instead of flour. I suppose gluten-free flour would work just as well.

I have used pre-made gluten-free breadcrumbs, but they tend to soak up moisture and generally have a weird texture in my experience,so I can't say I really recommend them...

#41 TGK112

TGK112

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

This is also my first Thanksgiving gluten free. Any idea how to make green bean casserole. Cream of mushroom soup seems hard to come by, and french fried onion rings are out.

#42 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Progresso has a gluten free cream of mushroom. Granted its a bit more runny then cambells, but it should work.

You can make your own onion-y things, just carmalize them :3

#43 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

This is also my first Thanksgiving gluten free. Any idea how to make green bean casserole. Cream of mushroom soup seems hard to come by, and french fried onion rings are out.

Pacific Foods makes some condensed soups that are pretty good - I like the crm of chicken better than the crm of mushroom personally, but in recipes you don't really notice the difference as much.

http://www.pacificfo...condensed-soups

#44 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

I like the Pacific brand of condensed soups as well . . . and they won't be as runny as the Progresso. However, the Progresso cream of mushroom soup has slices of mushrooms which I think would be good. Whatever works best for you.

I've heard people say they use "Funyuns" as the topping.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#45 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Funyuns are one of my weaknesses - so weird. I don't buy them because I can't just grab a handful and walk away - I'll end up eating the whole bag, finding crumbs everywhere and feeling gross for two days! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: