6 replies to this topic

#1 Kate35

Kate35

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Since being diagnosed, we only vacationed once at a cruise, and it was wonderful! However, i would love to go to an all inclusive resort... But not sure how well grey will handle our food issues. What do you guys do? I was also hoping to go to Euroe bed year but cannot even begin to think how I will be able to eat there... Appreciate your insights!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gluten-Free Fun

Gluten-Free Fun

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

I am a lifelong Celiac and I could never imagine staying home and NOT traveling. While some places are easier to eat gluten-free than others, with a little research you can find safe places to eat all over the world.

I traveled to Italy in 2009 and was extremely delighted to find that eating gluten-free, especially in Rome, was quite easy. You can find gluten-free food in most pharmacies throughout the city. Also many restaurants will have gluten-free options labeled as "senza glutine" on the menu.

Foreign language translation cards are very helpful to bring with you when you travel. You can make photocopies of free cards in the language native to the country you are traveling to and hand these to your server.

I have also been to all inclusive resorts and on cruise shiops. I make sure to talk directly to the resort catering manager before I travel to alert them to my needs. I also find that same manager when I arrive at the resort to remind them of my needs. Remind them that cross contamination is an issue and you might be able to get a plate of food from the buffet before others start digging in.

I've been to 12 countries, 22 states, and three continents all while maintaining a 100% gluten-free diet and living my best Celiac life possible. I hope I can encourage you to travel as well!!!

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

I buy food at natural coops and cook while I am away. I bring grain free granola to have with eggs for breakfast. I often premake food and heat it in my car oven. It isn't always convenient, but it is a little adventurous. I am one of the only people I know that comes back from vacation with less than I went with. We toss out empty food boxes as we go!

I took canned meat on a plane trip. I brought the kind with pull tabs. Hard boiled eggs travel fairly well in an clean egg carton. My own homemade muffins or wraps often come with.

I imagine if you cook your own overseas you could find meat and eggs at the store.

Diana

#4 Kate35

Kate35

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

I am a lifelong Celiac and I could never imagine staying home and NOT traveling. While some places are easier to eat gluten-free than others, with a little research you can find safe places to eat all over the world.

I traveled to Italy in 2009 and was extremely delighted to find that eating gluten-free, especially in Rome, was quite easy. You can find gluten-free food in most pharmacies throughout the city. Also many restaurants will have gluten-free options labeled as "senza glutine" on the menu.

Foreign language translation cards are very helpful to bring with you when you travel. You can make photocopies of free cards in the language native to the country you are traveling to and hand these to your server.

I have also been to all inclusive resorts and on cruise shiops. I make sure to talk directly to the resort catering manager before I travel to alert them to my needs. I also find that same manager when I arrive at the resort to remind them of my needs. Remind them that cross contamination is an issue and you might be able to get a plate of food from the buffet before others start digging in.

I've been to 12 countries, 22 states, and three continents all while maintaining a 100% gluten-free diet and living my best Celiac life possible. I hope I can encourage you to travel as well!!!

Thank you for your reply! That is certainly very encouraging!!!

#5 Kate35

Kate35

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

I buy food at natural coops and cook while I am away. I bring grain free granola to have with eggs for breakfast. I often premake food and heat it in my car oven. It isn't always convenient, but it is a little adventurous. I am one of the only people I know that comes back from vacation with less than I went with. We toss out empty food boxes as we go!

I took canned meat on a plane trip. I brought the kind with pull tabs. Hard boiled eggs travel fairly well in an clean egg carton. My own homemade muffins or wraps often come with.

I imagine if you cook your own overseas you could find meat and eggs at the store.

Diana

Yes, that is what I have been doing-cooking on vacation... However, I dream of going to Europe and it would be nice to sample out their restaurants while there... It is all part of the experience...But nt sure if that is an option

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Not sure if you are including the UK but might be worth contacting Coeliac UK if you do. They have some restaurant listings and an amazing book on what you can get in regular stores.

Most large supermarkets have a gluten-free range and some decent bread and goodies (though not always the small town center ones)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#7 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Alot of all inclusive resorts have chefs that are well versed in providing meals for all kinds of food allergies. Contact the resort. The first big vacation we took after I was diagnosed was to a resort and it turned out that one of the cefs was celiac. He cooked for me the entire time! A real treat,.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: