14 replies to this topic

#1 kvanrens1

kvanrens1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

My daughter has been gluten free for over 6 months. She is doing great and adjusting to her new diet. She loves it when I make one of her favorites dishes in a gluten free version. She is requesting pumpkin pie. I found a gluten free pie crust mix and gluten free pumpkin pie filling but the recipe I have calls for sweetened condensed milk. She also has severe lactose intolerance. What is a good dairy free substitute for sweetened condensed milk?

Thanks!

Daughter, age 9, is gluten sensitive, growth hormone deficient, pancreatic insufficient (now resolved), severe lactose intolerance, and other food sensitivities
Blood test/biopsy negative for celiac disease
Enterolab positive for gluten sensitivity
DQ7 and DQ9

Gluten Free since March 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

My mom has made dairy free pie for my bro for years. She uses coconut milk. If your recipe has sweetened condensed milk you might want to consider adding more sugar, or finding a recipe that uses regular milk or cream.

I say start now with test pies. :)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

I have used almond milk (vanilla is extra yummy) in pumpkin pie with excellent results:)

I use the recipe on the Libby can of pure pumpkin.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 kvanrens1

kvanrens1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try it with the vanilla almond milk. She drinks plain almond milk every day so I can give her what is not used in the pie. Do you think an equal substitution or less since almond milk is not as thick as sweetened condensed milk?

Daughter, age 9, is gluten sensitive, growth hormone deficient, pancreatic insufficient (now resolved), severe lactose intolerance, and other food sensitivities
DQ7 and DQ9

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try it with the vanilla almond milk. She drinks plain almond milk every day so I can give her what is not used in the pie. Do you think an equal substitution or less since almond milk is not as thick as sweetened condensed milk?

I used a bit less-- about a half cup less. I didn't sub the almond milk for sweetened condensed, though. I used it instead of the evaporated milk.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

One of my cookbooks says to replace sweetened condensed milk use an equal amount of Cream of Coconut (but I have never seen this product yet in my stores). The company is Coco Lopez.

Or for a dairyfree version: Combine 3 cups vanilla soy or coconut milk with 1/2 cup sugar.
Simmer and reduce to 1 and 1/2 cups. Thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot mixed with an additional amount of 2 tablespoons of the soy or coconut milk you are using. Then cool it and use it any recipes that call for sweetened condensed milk. (This is to substitute for a 14oz. can of condensed milk).

I have not tried this yet so don't know for sure how it will work. I copied it down because I also want to make pumpkin pie. I also have severe lactose intolerance and lately tried the Lactaid Milk which says it is 100% lactose free which I seem to be tolerating so I might try boiling that down with the 1/2 cup sugar instead. I bet using and boiling down the coconut milk would really be good but they don't always have it at the store so the Lactaid Milk would be the alternative thing for me to use.

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I say start now with test pies.

Yes, you should make as many test pies as possible. You have time to do at least 5 weeks worth, if you start now. ;) If the almond milk doesn't work out, there is always the canned coconut milk version with honey, extra spices and pecan topping.

#8 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

My daughter has been gluten free for over 6 months. She is doing great and adjusting to her new diet. She loves it when I make one of her favorites dishes in a gluten free version. She is requesting pumpkin pie. I found a gluten free pie crust mix and gluten free pumpkin pie filling but the recipe I have calls for sweetened condensed milk. She also has severe lactose intolerance. What is a good dairy free substitute for sweetened condensed milk?

Thanks!

A recipe was posted today for "Easiest Dairy Free Condensed Milk" on the website www.Wholenewmom.com. I would purchase a can of whole fat coconut milk...Thai Kitchen brand...add sugar, and boil it down as mentioned in the article just before the actual recipe for the easier version.

Cream of coconut is found in some natural food stores and I once saw some in the natural food aisle of a supermarket, and when I went back to purchase it, it was gone....never saw it again! I refuse to order some online and pay shipping charges. Next time I come across some, I'll definitely buy it to try it out.I'm also severely lactose intolerant, and am allergic to milk in addition.

#9 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

www.wholenewmom has changed her website page, click on recipes, then seach for condensed milk for the info.

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

You can find Coco Lopez in most liquor departments or at a liquor store.

And it IS sweet.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#11 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

You can find Coco Lopez in most liquor departments or at a liquor store.

And it IS sweet.

Oh wow, that's why I couldn't find it....it's used for Pina Coladas!

#12 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thank you, pricklypear and Ginsou. :)
No wonder I couldn't find it...I was looking in the wrong places. I had no idea it was used to make pina coladas.

#13 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Are you sure you need sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk? Just make sure you are substituting for the right one.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#14 kvanrens1

kvanrens1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thanks everyone. I made the pie on Sunday and it was a big hit (it was a big pie and it was polished off last night - it lasted less than 24 hours). By the way, it was evaporated milk and not sweetened condensed milk so I made an equal sub for vanilla almond milk. She loved it!

DQ7 and DQ9

#15 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Well, we all know where to purchase Coco Lopez now....I found it in the liquor section of the supermarket yesterday. When I first saw it several months ago, I must have been looking for Redbridge beer. I have made it a habit to just browse up and down the aisles...you never know where or what you will find!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: