32 replies to this topic

#1 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

So, I live in a student on campus apartment complex (my own single with kitchen no less). My apartment is quite nice and has a big vault in an area of the cieling where it reaches about 15 or so ft.

Here's the problem. I keep finding beatles in my apartment. Yes, beatles.

I live on the fifth floor, I keep my room tidy, etc. I still keep getting them. And get this, I cannot reach them to catch and release them outside (normally what i do).

Currently, I have counted five of the buggers today. THey like to accumulate around the skylight like window (cannot reach it at all), or in the crack at the very top of the vault.

i would use chemicals, but i cannot be around them or else i get very bad headaches, sinus and throat irritation, etc.

I do spray an all natural bed bug away spray every so often in the door way.

Could this just be because its starting to get cold out? I remember something similar happening when i lived in MT.

Advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Do you mind saying approximately where you live? You now like "Texas" or "the Northeast" . It might be a regional thing and someone could help you that way. Do you know any of your neighbors to ask if they are having them, too?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Do you mind saying approximately where you live? You now like "Texas" or "the Northeast" . It might be a regional thing and someone could help you that way. Do you know any of your neighbors to ask if they are having them, too?

Colorado :) and right up against a foresty area <_< that might not help. I never had them in the dorms.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I don't know if this is doable for you but do you have a vacuum with a hose and extension wand? If you do you can take any kind of tube or tubes (maybe taped together empty paper towel rolls?) you can find to make it even longer. Then drag a table or a sturdy chair or two over to the area below them. Place the vacuum on the table and climb up or put each of you on a chair. Just make sure your footing is secure. Then turn the vacuum on and suck them in. I have a very high ceiling in my studio and that is the only way I can get the wasps that fly in a gather on the skylights.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I do think it may be a weather thing . . . we were getting swarmed with ladybugs (or one of those ladybug look-a-likes) this weekend.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Colorado :) and right up against a foresty area <_< that might not help. I never had them in the dorms.

My son is at CSU. I'll ask him and see if they have it. Maybe you could knock them down with a broom? Attach a broom to another pole with duct tape to make it longer?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#7 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

I don't have a vacuum with a hose like that :(

But these are ladybug like (the one i just killed). They had the shape of one, of course there is one of the massive ones up there too (red and black probbaly, i've already caught and released one of those so far this term).

I have a small carpet/floor vac.

I'm at UCCS :) We have lots of widlelife right behind the school (bears and mountain lions are common sightings, along with deer).

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Is it these?

http://www.ipm.iasta...adybeetles.html

LTES

#9 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

The little ones are black and tan and have that shape.

I just went and relooked at the one that i killed. More of a yellowy tan where the red should be.

Another thought hit me, When the waldo cannon fire went through there was a lot of damage. You can easily see it from my campus. Might this have contributed any?

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

I bet the fire did scare some of them down. My son said he was up by the fire this weekend (the one by Ft Collins) and they didn't see the animals they usually see.

LTES

#11 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I don't doubt it.

I'm going to talk with the RA's that maintain the desk in a couple of hours about this.

#12 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Leave a light, which you can reach, on at night. Hopefully, they will die in there and you can be rid of them. I am vaccuming my Asian Beetles. I use to let them go, but I got stung doing that once. I also got a bite that turned into a sebaceous cyst once. After that I gave up on letting them live. Turn off the light, which is up high and leave it off as much as possible. They are attracted to heat and light it seems to me. The south side of my house is covered, but on the north side they are few.

I am in MN and they are plague like just now.

#13 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm pretty sure the smaller ones are those things, even though the yellow is where the red should be (after i killed the second one)).

I'll try that.

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I wonder if diatomaceous earth would help get rid of them...if you could dust the area up there??? Hard when its up high, I know - you'll probably get a face full if it.

We get crickets. I hate crickets. Noisy freaking crickets through every crevice.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm going to send a report to housing maintainence. I talked with the RA. He said that they were here last year as well during this time of year and he's been dealing with them as well. yet, my friend on the floor below me, has not.

Oh, and the idea he came up with? Make the room really cold. <_<

Sorry, but i don't shell out all this money just to be bugged by bugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: